Jan 3, 2010
Hobart Lacrosse
Tottenham
Jamaican Bobsled Team

And if Uranus had a hockey team, I root for them to wipe the Ranger's butt

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I don't mean to butt in here but I'd be interested to see the justification of an Islanders fan rooting for the Rangers. To an outsider, that seems...I guess humiliating would be the right word? Humiliating and insulting.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
I don't mean to butt in here but I'd be interested to see the justification of an Islanders fan rooting for the Rangers. To an outsider, that seems...I guess humiliating would be the right word? Humiliating and insulting.
You’d be surprised at how many Islanders fans there are rooting for the Rangers right now because “they’re a NY team.”

Maybe they’d change their mind after spending 10 minutes on this forum

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Isles, Yankees, and Denver Broncos.

Followed the Isles after meeting Bossy as a kid at Summer Camp.
Followed the Yankees after I saw Reggie Jackson hit a home run on TV as a kid.
Followed the Broncos because of John Elway and stayed loyal to this day.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Well, maybe against the Borg, but it's close
What do you have against the Borg? Assimilation can't be all that bad!
You’d be surprised at how many Islanders fans there are rooting for the Rangers right now because “they’re a NY team.”

Maybe they’d change their mind after spending 10 minutes on this forum
I was born and raised in upstate NY. Most hockey fans I encountered growing up were Sabres or Rangers fans (I was, of course, an exception.) I went to a university where hockey is arguably the #1 sport and there are FREAKING TONS of students from downstate NY, LI and NJ...and there I met my first real Islander fans. To a person, I have never met any group of people in my life that despised the New York Rangers more than this group. I never met a single serious Islander fan that could even stomach the Rangers. Obviously that's not a huge sample, and I'm just a guy, but I kind of stand by my original point: I don't see how you can consider yourself a serious Islanders fan and have a favorable opinion of the Islanders' biggest rival.

To me, it's not a Jets/Giants or Yankees/Mets sort of deal; neither of those two sets of teams are in the same divisions or conferences and (subway series aside) they haven't really played each other in THAT many significant games over the years. The Islanders and Rangers are in the same division, same conference and play each other multiple times every year in a sport where playoffs are mostly of a divisional format.

I lost touch with the NHL for a variety of reasons, one of which is my perception that the league is trying to take the hate out of the game...and to me, that's sad. Keep the hate in your hearts, people. :laugh:

Reactions: Not4u and Big L

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Islanders
Mets (though Orioles #1)
Giants
Knicks

Somewhat of a unique combo- but at 46 I’m truly a “child of the 80s”- and in that context- makes sense IMHO (i.e. NYI Dynasty, ‘86 Mets, ‘86 and ‘90 Giants, Ewing, etc.).

BTW never “rooting for the Rangers”- but as I hit mid-40s- I find it’s not as soul crushing to me if they do well. If they earn the Cup- they earn the Cup. Just means we have to be better. That’s how life works- or so I’ve learned. Lol.

Last edited:

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
What do you have against the Borg? Assimilation can't be all that bad!

I was born and raised in upstate NY. Most hockey fans I encountered growing up were Sabres or Rangers fans (I was, of course, an exception.) I went to a university where hockey is arguably the #1 sport and there are FREAKING TONS of students from downstate NY, LI and NJ...and there I met my first real Islander fans. To a person, I have never met any group of people in my life that despised the New York Rangers more than this group. I never met a single serious Islander fan that could even stomach the Rangers. Obviously that's not a huge sample, and I'm just a guy, but I kind of stand by my original point: I don't see how you can consider yourself a serious Islanders fan and have a favorable opinion of the Islanders' biggest rival.

To me, it's not a Jets/Giants or Yankees/Mets sort of deal; neither of those two sets of teams are in the same divisions or conferences and (subway series aside) they haven't really played each other in THAT many significant games over the years. The Islanders and Rangers are in the same division, same conference and play each other multiple times every year in a sport where playoffs are mostly of a divisional format.

I lost touch with the NHL for a variety of reasons, one of which is my perception that the league is trying to take the hate out of the game...and to me, that's sad. Keep the hate in your hearts, people. :laugh:
Did you go to Cornell?

Add Cornell lax (I'm a die hard) and Cornell ice hockey
Add St. John's hoops (I'm a dinosaur)

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

This is what I say all the time, even when they aren't directly playing each other, they are still competing for a place in the division, conference, playoff spot.

I could not imagine the vitriol the Yankees-Mets and Giants-Jets would have if they were in the same division and were guaranteed to play each other multiple times per season.

1. Isles
2. Mets
3. Jets
4. Clemson Football (adopted team because of the new in-laws)

Admittedly I could watch any football (CFB or NFL) or college lacrosse game and would be content, but I could not watch a random Mariners vs. Angels game. Mets or nothing in MLB.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
There is none.

There actually is.

I lost a musician friend who I've known since the mid 90's two months ago. Passionate Rangers fan. I decided to try and "pull" for the Rangers -- in his honor.

For the record, I did try. It's not easy. LOL.. I have since dialed it back some and am looking forward to a good series and whomever wins, wins. I think Joe would have been impressed with my effort.

So -- yea -- I think in certain personal cases, you can bend the rules a bit. And I think Colorado is going to win the Cup,,, in three games.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This is my sports fandom rankings:
Tier 1 - Isles
Tier 2- New York Giants & New Orleans Saints
Tier 3- New York Yankees & San Francisco Giants

Thats it.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
This is what I say all the time, even when they aren't directly playing each other, they are still competing for a place in the division, conference, playoff spot.

I could not imagine the vitriol the Yankees-Mets and Giants-Jets would have if they were in the same division and were guaranteed to play each other multiple times per season.

1. Isles
2. Mets
3. Jets
4. Clemson Football (adopted team because of the new in-laws)

Admittedly I could watch any football (CFB or NFL) or college lacrosse game and would be content, but I could not watch a random Mariners vs. Angels game. Mets or nothing in MLB.
Agreed. Giants/Jets or Yankees/Mets in the same division would each be a freaking bloodbath. I don't care where in NY you're from, there is absolutely nothing subtle about NY sports fans. Throw the Eagles in with the Giants/Jets death division too because Eagles fans hate everything anyways.

I went to graduate school at an ACC school; I have no love for the Clemson Tigers. :laugh:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Agreed. Giants/Jets or Yankees/Mets in the same division would each be a freaking bloodbath. I don't care where in NY you're from, there is absolutely nothing subtle about NY sports fans. Throw the Eagles in with the Giants/Jets death division too because Eagles fans hate everything anyways.

I went to graduate school at an ACC school; I have no love for the Clemson Tigers. :laugh:

If did an NFL "Metro" division of Giants, Jets, Eagles, Patriots it would be insane.

My fiancee went to Alabama, while her family went to Clemson. Her father got me a Clemson sweatshirt first so the decision was made for me.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad