OT: What makes ACTION NEWS untouchable in Philadelphia?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I preface this by saying I work in TV.

WPVI Channel 6 has had a stranglehold on local Philly TV news for 40 years and there is no other local station in the US that can make that claim.

Is it the news theme?

Is it Jim Gardner?

I'm sure NBC owned Channel 10 was thrilled when this happened

I would be curious about your thoughts

Last edited:

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I can't speak to this particular station but I find most of the news stations unwatchable across North America.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can't speak to this particular station but I find most of the news stations unwatchable across North America.

Channel 6 in Philly was owned by the Philadelphia Inquirer (WFIL-TV) but the FCC ruled a newspaper could not own a TV station in the same market and did not give the station a grandfather exemption and the station was sold to Capital Cities Broadcasting and their flagship was WKBW-TV in Buffalo. The Buffalo station was one of the most profitable stations in the US because of Toronto and they freely admitted it.

and they had a news theme

Caps City transferred Jim Gardner to Philly because the main Buffalo anchor Irv Weinstein wanted him out of Buffalo

A few years later Cap Cities BOUGHT ABC and later sold to Disney

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
It’s the only news station that I watch, but I only watch for traffic, weather, and background noise.
Why the odd thread though?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I preface this by saying I work in TV.

WPVI Channel 6 has had a stranglehold on local Philly TV news for 40 years and there is no other local station in the US that can make that claim.

Is it the news theme?

Is it Jim Gardner?

I'm sure NBC owned Channel 10 was thrilled when this happened

I would be curious about your thoughts

It's the theme. When I'm visiting and anyone has any other channel on I get agitated if I don't hear my theme.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
ssOfvx2.gif

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
A friend of mine who's not originally from the area refers to it as the "Super Sexy Action News Theme," and has chosen the channel for that specific reason.

I haven't watched network TV news in decades, but I feel like I remember Gardner and most of the other hosts coming across as pretty likeable, too.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Side note, what is Karen Rodgers? Is she weather or traffic? She does a mix of both and I can’t tell what her primary role is

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Side note, what is Karen Rodgers? Is she weather or traffic? She does a mix of both and I can’t tell what her primary role is

A lot of TV and news radio outfits combine the traffic and weather segments (since weather impacts traffic), so she might pull double duty?

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
A lot of TV and news radio outfits combine the traffic and weather segments (since weather impacts traffic), so she might pull double duty?
She’s never solo though. They have some other dude do the weather, or the traffic, depending on the day, and she will do the other during one segment and then do what they covered later on in the hour.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
Jim Gardner is a big part of it. I'm old enough to remember watching Action News back in the early 80's growing up and it was #1 then as well.

He and anchor/weatherman Jim O'Brien were very well liked and respected. Jim O'Brien died in 1983 from a Skydiving accident and Jim Gardner gave a pretty touching speech about his friend and colleague on that evenings newscast.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
She hasn't changed
She is kind of a snoot. I have seen her at the Target on city line a few times. I also saw Melissa Magee and she was in line in front of me and she was so sweet...she asked if I wanted to go ahead of her bc I had fewer items. I was a bit shocked and probably had googly eyes and turned it down ..she just smiled and said ok....felt like a little starstruck kid. Pretty and nice/modest always wins out...

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
She is kind of a snoot. I have seen her at the Target on city line a few times. I also saw Melissa Magee and she was in line in front of me and she was so sweet...she asked if I wanted to go ahead of her bc I had fewer items. I was a bit shocked and probably had googly eyes and turned it down ..she just smiled and said ok....felt like a little starstruck kid. Pretty and nice/modest always wins out...

Oh, I've heard she's a total C these days, but what do I care? I ran into her at the Wawa in Rio Grande YEARS ago and she seemed nice enough, but that was a 30 second encounter.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Oh, I've heard she's a total C these days, but what do I care? I ran into her at the Wawa in Rio Grande YEARS ago and she seemed nice enough, but that was a 30 second encounter.
She was walking through Target like she was gonna get attacked by throngs of men....looked paranoid tbh. Too high opinion of herself ....

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
My brother in law moved to Chatlotte in the 90s. He visited a few years ago, and I had the noon news on. He and his wife couldn't believe they still used the same theme song. It is so simple, they do not fix what is not broke. I do not like their 6 or 11 casts. I tend to prefer the local fox29 people. But if I watch at noon, it is 6.

Reactions: Cody Webster

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Several things, but the Action News format was revolutionary in the early-1970s. Getting younger on-air talent to locations, doing tons of stuff on the suburbs as people were streaming out of the city, the quick and strictly-timed segments, etc. And the best news theme song in the country, too.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad