What made you a Flames fan?

TrelivingtheDream

Mar 16, 2013
Leuven, BE
Hi, I'm a very new member and haven't posted in here before, despite using HFboards a lot to find out flames news etc.

I'm from the UK so have a slightly different path to flames fandom than 'I was born in Calgary'. After being given a 3 month sabbatical from my job in 2011, I went to South East Asia and while in Vietnam met a nice guy from Lethbridge. He asked me if I knew much about (ice) hockey, which was effectively nothing as the only game I'd ever seen was the final of the 2010 Winter Olympics. I was shocked to discover there was a league where teams had to play over 80 games a season, and then play each other a load more times, before deciding who the winner was, and that potentially the 16th best team in the league could end up winning! To a Brit this made little sense however he told me to go and watch the Flames anyway.

After returning to the UK, it took me until 2012 when finding ways to procrastinate rather than write an essay. I remember the first game I saw was Flames vs Wild, Sven was playing one of his first games. It was a s*** stream where I couldn't even see the puck, I didn't know what was going on but I was intrigued none the less. After that I bought NHL12, learnt the rules, followed the play-offs, then the draft, somehow wasn't put off by the lockout and now I find myself staying up until 5am to watch games. Everything about the NHL is so different to the way pro leagues are run here so it kept me interested while I learnt the rules, and now I understand the game better hockey has become my favourite sport to watch, with the Flames being my favourite team across all sports.

Incidentally, when I got back to uni the next year I found we had an ice hockey team, and despite having never skated before I joined and this year played my first game. I am absolutely awful but I love it, and despite their lack of success, also love the Flames.

Sorry if this is a bit long for a first post!

TL;DR - British = wtf is hockey? Canadian dude says like the flames. I like the flames.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Hi, I'm a very new member and haven't posted in here before, despite using HFboards a lot to find out flames news etc.

I'm from the UK so have a slightly different path to flames fandom than 'I was born in Calgary'. After being given a 3 month sabbatical from my job in 2011, I went to South East Asia and while in Vietnam met a nice guy from Lethbridge. He asked me if I knew much about (ice) hockey, which was effectively nothing as the only game I'd ever seen was the final of the 2010 Winter Olympics. I was shocked to discover there was a league where teams had to play over 80 games a season, and then play each other a load more times, before deciding who the winner was, and that potentially the 16th best team in the league could end up winning! To a Brit this made little sense however he told me to go and watch the Flames anyway.

After returning to the UK, it took me until 2012 when finding ways to procrastinate rather than write an essay. I remember the first game I saw was Flames vs Wild, Sven was playing one of his first games. It was a s*** stream where I couldn't even see the puck, I didn't know what was going on but I was intrigued none the less. After that I bought NHL12, learnt the rules, followed the play-offs, then the draft, somehow wasn't put off by the lockout and now I find myself staying up until 5am to watch games. Everything about the NHL is so different to the way pro leagues are run here so it kept me interested while I learnt the rules, and now I understand the game better hockey has become my favourite sport to watch, with the Flames being my favourite team across all sports.

Incidentally, when I got back to uni the next year I found we had an ice hockey team, and despite having never skated before I joined and this year played my first game. I am absolutely awful but I love it, and despite their lack of success, also love the Flames.

TL;DR - British = wtf is hockey? Canadian dude says like the flames. I like the flames.

Thats an awesome story dude. Hopefully we will see you in some of the Game Day Threads this year!

Just a heads up, if Anglesmith created the Game Day Thread, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina
what made me a fan was when i started watching hockey early 2000s (probably 2001-2002 season a few years before the cup run) living in Bathurst NB all i ever heard was Montreal this Montreal that (french people in my town) or Toronto this Toronto that (english people). So I wanted to be a little different and at the time i really like Iginla style of play so i started rooting for them. 10+ years later still rooting for them and still getting the you are a habs or leaf fan!? response in my town when i talk hockey

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
2004 cup run. come to think of it although i was 12 at the time, i dont think id be the fan i am today if it wasn't for that cup run. ive been a die hard flames fan ever since.

the greatest memory of all time for me will be game 6 of the detroit series. we were heading back to Calgary from medicine hat at the time and unfortunately wasn't able to watch the game, but to hear peter maher live on air scream the YEAH BABY was truly one of the greatest flames memory i have experienced yet. lets hope there many more to come.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

That is awesome man! Stories like this are the best!!

Welcome and I hope you stay and enjoy the boards. :)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So.... what you're saying..... if I'm reading this right..... is that you make disappointing women 50 times a year? I don't even know what this means. :help:

;)
more i give them nothing of substance and everyone involved goes home disappointed.
:cry:

dscott

Mar 1, 2014
Born and raised in Edmonton, started playing hockey in 03. Subsequently, right when I got really interested in hockey is when the flames were doing great.

Parents were fans starting from the 89 cup run, so I was essentially raised a flames fan cause of that.

I had a tough childhood up here in Edmonton cause of being of flames fan :laugh:, but over the long run in the last ten years we've done a lot better than the Oil and against them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
2004 cup run. come to think of it although i was 12 at the time, i dont think id be the fan i am today if it wasn't for that cup run. ive been a die hard flames fan ever since.

the greatest memory of all time for me will be game 6 of the detroit series. we were heading back to Calgary from medicine hat at the time and unfortunately wasn't able to watch the game, but to hear peter maher live on air scream the YEAH BABY was truly one of the greatest flames memory i have experienced yet. lets hope there many more to come.

Crazy, I have an almost identical story. I was in Red Deer at a BP's watching that same game. After the 3rd period ended, me and my bro inlaw decided to leave and head back to Calgary. We were listening to Maher make the call, and when Geli scored that winner, and Maher was screaming YEAH BABY, we were high fiving and screaming so hard, we literally almost drove off the highway ended up in the ditch. We totally lost our minds we were so excited. That run so magical and special, especially how the city embraced the team, after 7 years of no playoffs. What a great memory to be a Flames fan.

KiwiFlamesFan

Aug 11, 2006
New Zealand
For me it was the 04 cup run too. You just couldn't not cheer for the Flames. I absolutely loved Iggy's will to win and Kipper was outstanding. I hated Tampa Bay for years and years after that Game 7 loss. I remember being so upset and my mother telling me it's not that big of a deal. But to me it was. Somehow, all the way over the other side of the world, I cared so much. I watched that Game 7 multiple times as a teenager, just wishing things could have ended differently. The relentless pressure after Conroy scored to make it 2-1, and that unbelievable save by Khabibulin to deny Leopold will never leave my memory - true heartbreak.

After the 04-05 lockout, I was lucky enough to get some DVDs of HNIC games from a Canadian guy here in NZ. His parents would tape the games and send them over to him. They'd be a couple of months behind but I'd watch them and just love the atmosphere of the Flames games. It really reinforced my love for this team.

Even though I can't follow things like I used to, I've been a fan ever since.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
For me it was the 04 cup run too. You just couldn't not cheer for the Flames. I absolutely loved Iggy's will to win and Kipper was outstanding. I hated Tampa Bay for years and years after that Game 7 loss. I remember being so upset and my mother telling me it's not that big of a deal. But to me it was. Somehow, all the way over the other side of the world, I cared so much. I watched that Game 7 multiple times as a teenager, just wishing things could have ended differently. The relentless pressure after Conroy scored to make it 2-1, and that unbelievable save by Khabibulin to deny Leopold will never leave my memory - true heartbreak.

After the 04-05 lockout, I was lucky enough to get some DVDs of HNIC games from a Canadian guy here in NZ. His parents would tape the games and send them over to him. They'd be a couple of months behind but I'd watch them and just love the atmosphere of the Flames games. It really reinforced my love for this team.

Even though I can't follow things like I used to, I've been a fan ever since.

That's awesome! So how did you get caught up in hockey all the way in NZ?

Drewster

May 20, 2010
Lincolnshire, Engla
Based in the UK i have distant relatives in Calgary and first got into hockey when they opened a rink in my hometown in the early 90's. So naturally chose the Flames as my team. Making the trip to the saddledome to see them play is still on bucket list of things to do before I die.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Based in the UK i have distant relatives in Calgary and first got into hockey when they opened a rink in my hometown in the early 90's. So naturally chose the Flames as my team. Making the trip to the saddledome to see them play is still on bucket list of things to do before I die.

Watching a game there with other fans is worth it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

A rink opened in your hometown? Do you have an Elite Hockey League team there, or was it something like a rec centre rink for the public to use?

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Needed to pick a team when I was old enough to jump on a team. My dad was a Bruins fan, my brother a Flyers fan, I really don't know why I took Calgary as a team, I believe it was around 1983, I think my dad bought me a jersey for Christmas and I've been a huge fan since.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
04 cup run. The team stole my heart and never thought to give it back. So now I'm kind of a really big fan.

Same here. I actually didn't even like watching sports in the slightest until the cup run. I was 19/20 so it started as "lol party o'clock boobs everywhere" and then I ended up getting hooked on the team (and eventually the sport).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad