What made you a Flames fan?

fallsviewafro*

I'm from south-western Ontario, in Leafs country. My best friend growing up when I was a little guy was a Flames fan, so that pretty much made me a Leafs fan and I've been one ever since.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Born in Calgary and that '04 cup run. Only really watched hockey casually until I became a Flames fan.

Iginla also played a big role in making me a fan.

JulianHopper*

Been a fan since the team moved here in 1980. I also don't jump on other team's bandwagons as I consider that to be sacrilegious.

Flames are the best team, 1989 Stanley Cup champions, went to the finals just a few years ago and are on the verge of doing it again soon.

Razzdazzle*

04 Cup run... "Shirts off for Kiprusoff" and flamesgirls.com lol

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I have childhood pictures of being in Flames swag (like not old enough to even walk), rest is history.

Drewster

May 20, 2010
Lincolnshire, Engla
A rink opened in your hometown? Do you have an Elite Hockey League team there, or was it something like a rec centre rink for the public to use?

No , not elite. I'm originally from a city called Chelmsford in Essex, who apart from a couple of seasons have played third tier british hockey. Interestingly though Fred Perlini, Brett's Dad, played in the same league for a while and lit it up .

Flames7676

Jun 17, 2013
Alberta
04 cup run. Iggy and Kipper being two big factors of why I continued to like the Flames then and after as well. My family had just moved to Canada as well from Tampa actually though I never really liked hockey when I was in Florida but the Lightning in the finals was a factor of why I did watch the series with my Dad and I ended up liking Calgary more. My Dad also lived in Calgary for awhile when he was younger.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Live in Ontario. Heard Don Cherry going on and on about this Iginla kid. Started following through media as didn't get many Flame games on tv back then. Thrilled that the made playoffs in 04 and told everyone to watch out for them. Then finally got to see them play on regular basis and seen what a fast hard working team they were. Such a treat compared to the Leafs we usually had to watch. Loved Flames ever since. Pay for NHL centre ice or whatever u call it /// on line and watch every game on computer while wife watches TV. Spent thousand of dollars on a trip to Calgary in Feb 2010 to watch 4 Flame games. Greatest vacation of my life. Will never forget it. Highlight was a win over the Hawks. This is year they started crappy and caught fire at Xmas and almost made the playoffs. Every game was like a playoff game. Sorry for being so long winded.

mdexm

Apr 2, 2013
Born here, but I was a Red Wings fan all my life until Iginla's first 50 goal season. He really drew me in and by 04' I was fully committed, even when they faced Detroit in the 2nd round.

I found it really hard to care about the Flames in the 90s.

Justanotherflamesfan

Jun 11, 2014
My father and grandfather are flames fans so it's just natural plus my favorite player growing up was
Theo and this might sound weird but I always hated Edmonton lol at everything the city the teams never had a good experience there lol so I guess it's natural? Lol

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Meeting Fluery at a McDonald's in Red Deer in the late 90s. We both had Big Mac's with no pickles. I was like 6 or 7 at the time so it was the coolest thing ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad