What league is the strongest behind ECHL?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think the echl is all that high, there's quite a sizable leap to the AHL. Guys who perform well routinely leave the ECHL to take upgraded jobs in the lower European leagues like the DEL, that should tell you something.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
The leading scorers in the SPHL were all either depth players at smaller D1 colleges or high scorers at D3 colleges. Heck, there are forwards there that contribute offensively that played club hockey. The NCAA is the better league.

The biggest difference between the ECHL and AHL is skating ability.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Yeah, but the NCAA does not have superb depth.

And the SPHL does? It's a glorified beer league. Outside of the top line, no one from the SPHL is moving up.

NCAA Division I hockey has way better depth than you're giving it credit for, especially being that the SPHL signs Division I fourth-liners, extra d-men, and third goalies every single year.

The big differences between the ECHL and the AHL are skating and passing. AHL players put passes on the tape and can catch passes, ECHL guys aren't quite as good. AHL guys skate well and protect the puck, ECHL guys not so much.

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
If I had to classify it like Minor League baseball it would probably be like this:
NHL= MLB
AHL=AAA
ECHL= High Class A
SPHL = Rookie/Short Season
FHL= Independent

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Your average DI player is good enough to play in the ECHL. Those who go undrafted or what I call overlooked play well in the ECHL just as those who have been drafted and not necessarily ready as AHL mainstays. One has to no take into account that NCAA DI hockey represents about 30% of all future NHL players, that's not peanuts.

I think we often forget about those DI players who stick out their four years and complete their degrees then go on to careers off the ice. Many of those players could play in the SPHL but for what reason? They can use their degrees and make three times as much instead of grinding it out in the SPHL. Don't get me wrong, I think the SPHL has its place in minor pro hockey and if I lived in a SPHL market I would attend games.

The big difference I see in the ECHL is the defensive skillset, or lack there of. There are some very good skaters in the ECHL who can skate fast, shoot hard, and score highlight reel goals. The turnover volume of the ECHL makes it hard to establish a team system, rosters are so fluid that becomes difficult. Its almost as if the ECHL has become the testing ground for goalies. Odd man rushes, turn overs, and fluke goals are common in the ECHL. Obviously if your a younger ECHL player with a good skill set and ability you will move up to the AHL in a timely manner. The ECHL however also has some older veterans very skilled that make up that leadership role.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
If I had to classify it like Minor League baseball it would probably be like this:
NHL= MLB
AHL=AAA
ECHL= High Class A
SPHL = Rookie/Short Season
FHL= Independent

No no no no, the FHL is not independent lol ;) next year it will have its own developmental league the IDHL lol ;) (sarcasm)

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I don't think the echl is all that high, there's quite a sizable leap to the AHL. Guys who perform well routinely leave the ECHL to take upgraded jobs in the lower European leagues like the DEL, that should tell you something.
It tells me that those European leagues pay more than the ECHL. A guy who has been around for 3 or more years and hasn't gotten a real shot in the AHL yet will often go to Europe for the money, and the chance to travel and experience life abroad for a year or two before moving on to a "real job". A lot of AHL teams are now focusing on developing players for the NHL. Lots of ECHL players are good enough to compete in the AHL, but AHL teams aren't keeping those depth players on their roster now because they have so many players from the parent club.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
It tells me that those European leagues pay more than the ECHL. A guy who has been around for 3 or more years and hasn't gotten a real shot in the AHL yet will often go to Europe for the money, and the chance to travel and experience life abroad for a year or two before moving on to a "real job". A lot of AHL teams are now focusing on developing players for the NHL. Lots of ECHL players are good enough to compete in the AHL, but AHL teams aren't keeping those depth players on their roster now because they have so many players from the parent club.

This. Euro leagues pay better than the ECHL. It's not necessarily about caliber of play.

I'd rank them:
AHL - possibly the 3rd best league in the world behind the NHL & KHL
ECHL - top-end players are AHL-caliber, but there's a lot of depth in the league
Major Junior - A breeding ground for NHL players. 2nd-tier players tend to graduate to AHL/ECHL.
NCAA - its top-end players are going to the NHL, the 2nd-tier players to the AHL/ECHL. ECHL teams have better depth than NCAA teams, but NCAA teams have more NHL prospects
USHL - see NCAA, just younger & not as deep. Top-liners are usually NHL/AHL prospects, 2nd-tier players usually graduate to the ECHL, but the bottom third of the rosters often don't see pro hockey. The better Junior A leagues in Canada (BCHL, for example) are on par with the USHL.
SPHL - A step down from the ECHL
FHL - A step down from the SPHL

The NAHL

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Your average DI player is good enough to play in the ECHL. Those who go undrafted or what I call overlooked play well in the ECHL just as those who have been drafted and not necessarily ready as AHL mainstays. One has to no take into account that NCAA DI hockey represents about 30% of all future NHL players, that's not peanuts.

The big difference I see in the ECHL is the defensive skillset, or lack there of. There are some very good skaters in the ECHL who can skate fast, shoot hard, and score highlight reel goals. The turnover volume of the ECHL makes it hard to establish a team system, rosters are so fluid that becomes difficult. Its almost as if the ECHL has become the testing ground for goalies. Odd man rushes, turn overs, and fluke goals are common in the ECHL. Obviously if your a younger ECHL player with a good skill set and ability you will move up to the AHL in a timely manner. The ECHL however also has some older veterans very skilled that make up that leadership role.

Truth on the NCAA players going to the ECHL. It's a great place for young guys to continue to pursue their dream of playing hockey and going to the NHL. It's a really good league. I was expecting something similar to the old early-2000s Central Hockey League when we came into the ECHL a few years back, but the game is significantly faster, crisper and features a much greater amount of skill than the CHL was in those days.

As far as the defensive skillset, that's a reality in the minors. Defensemen are hard to find and develop. There's not a huge difference between the top-line forwards in the ECHL and forwards in the AHL, especially as NHL teams tend to focus on developing prospects. There are some seriously skilled forwards in the ECHL. However, because of the learning curve for developing defensemen and the relative youth of ECHL players, there are a lot of defensive mistakes. It makes for an exciting game for the fans (and also a great developing ground for goalies).

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Truth on the NCAA players going to the ECHL. It's a great place for young guys to continue to pursue their dream of playing hockey and going to the NHL. It's a really good league. I was expecting something similar to the old early-2000s Central Hockey League when we came into the ECHL a few years back, but the game is significantly faster, crisper and features a much greater amount of skill than the CHL was in those days.

As far as the defensive skillset, that's a reality in the minors. Defensemen are hard to find and develop. There's not a huge difference between the top-line forwards in the ECHL and forwards in the AHL, especially as NHL teams tend to focus on developing prospects. There are some seriously skilled forwards in the ECHL. However, because of the learning curve for developing defensemen and the relative youth of ECHL players, there are a lot of defensive mistakes. It makes for an exciting game for the fans (and also a great developing ground for goalies).

Kinda what I said in terms of defensive ability. If your used to NHL or AHL hockey you will notice the defensive lapses. Now as far as the game being exciting game well that depends. I get frustrated watching ECHL hockey at times because of the defensive mistakes, every game has a goal or two that should not have been scored. Having watched mostly AHL hockey my whole life I can say the defensemen hold their own much more then in the ECHL. Statistics are telling, goals allowed, shots allowed, plus minus, all used to measure. I like defensive minded teams personally. I love teams who clog the neutral zones, block shots, shut down passing, get to the pucks loose faster, and break out better. That's my kind of hockey, not some hot dog showboating young kid trying to showcase their own skillset. I want to see a team approach where everyone contributes.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
Any FHL or SPHL fans can answer my question here. Are there lots of fights in the FHL? And does the level of play compare to the ECHL? Living here in Glens Falls, the nearest FHL team is Danbury and at some point I plan on driving down there to catch a game. Closest SPHL team would probably be Roanoke. Maybe at some point ill make the trek down to Virginia to catch a game sometime

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Any FHL or SPHL fans can answer my question here. Are there lots of fights in the FHL? And does the level of play compare to the ECHL? Living here in Glens Falls, the nearest FHL team is Danbury and at some point I plan on driving down there to catch a game. Closest SPHL team would probably be Roanoke. Maybe at some point ill make the trek down to Virginia to catch a game sometime

The level of play in the FHL is not even remotely close to the ECHL. It's just barely watchable, and that's being generous.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
This. Euro leagues pay better than the ECHL. It's not necessarily about caliber of play.

I'd rank them:
AHL - possibly the 3rd best league in the world behind the NHL & KHL
ECHL - top-end players are AHL-caliber, but there's a lot of depth in the league
Major Junior - A breeding ground for NHL players. 2nd-tier players tend to graduate to AHL/ECHL.
NCAA - its top-end players are going to the NHL, the 2nd-tier players to the AHL/ECHL. ECHL teams have better depth than NCAA teams, but NCAA teams have more NHL prospects
USHL - see NCAA, just younger & not as deep. Top-liners are usually NHL/AHL prospects, 2nd-tier players usually graduate to the ECHL, but the bottom third of the rosters often don't see pro hockey. The better Junior A leagues in Canada (BCHL, for example) are on par with the USHL.
SPHL - A step down from the ECHL
FHL - A step down from the SPHL

The NAHL

I don't think that's a fair placement for the NAHL. It is immensely better than the FHL.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Having been to FHL games in Danbury and Brewster I can honestly tell you the level of play is not even close to the ECHL, in fact its probably more realistic to suggest the SPHL is so much better then the FHL and is run like a professional minor league. I cannot speak for the western FHL organizations but I just didn't feel as though you were attending a professional minor league hockey game, although Danbury is an interesting place to attend a game. Had the pleasure of attending a few Danbury Trasher games back in the old United Hockey League, the place was packed and the crowd was absolutely insane. The Danbury Trasher fans were unforgiving and extremely vulgar lol. Fans were getting into fights with one another, middle fingers were common salutes to opposing players, the Danbury cops were busy.....Mayhem lol

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I've been to three FHL St. Clair Shores Fighting Saints games and they were very entertaining. Not a lot of fights, but it was chippy and I'd say there are more big hits than maybe the NHL. I was surprised at the fast level of play. On the other hand, the building they play in is pretty much a rec rink and there isn't anywhere near enough promotion. I see the Carolina Thunderbirds are looking a lot more like a real pro team than the Saints and they haven't even started play. I'm sort of rooting for the FHL as an underdog league.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I don't think that's a fair placement for the NAHL. It is immensely better than the FHL.

He might have been referring to the other NAHL, the goon league based in Quebec (usually referred to as the LNAH).

On the other hand, the US-based NAHL is a junior league and it might have more skilled players, but it's teenagers versus men when you compare to senior leagues.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

You know, I likely hit "send" too quickly now that I see the post again. Meant to say "The NAHL likely fits somewhere below the USHL and probably in the vicinity of the SPHL." It's definitely a step below the USHL, but not much of one, as it has older players and sends a number of them on to Div. I teams.

Mar 14, 2017
I don't think players leaving the ECHL for European leagues means the ECHL isn't a decent league.. would you rather have a big schedule and play in the ECHL or go to Europe, get more money, travel for a little while and then get a job once your career ends. The European leagues are probably quite a lot of fun compared to the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad