What kind of gym should I go to?

Petrouth

Its not my time
Apr 23, 2013
East York, Toronto
So im really out of shape and it is probably best to help fix that. Ive never had a gym membership or anything like that but im a cheaper person and I know if I get one ill try to get my moneys worth and go. Just not sure where to begin. Ill say again, im very much overweight.

What would you think is the best course of action, a larger commercial gym like Goodlife, a smaller local gym thats cheaper plus no commitment, or perhaps a boxing/kickboxing class? Those are much more expensive but it would give some structure for me while a regular gym theres no structure but I could go at my own pace.

Thoughts?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
If you think the financial commitment will really help you go frequently, I would sign a one year contract that way you go often.

Go for one with a lot of cardio options if you’re trying to lose weight. Strength training is always good too.

The most important thing is to sign up and go though. You can make it work almost anywhere.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
If you are just starting out i would pick whatever is the smallest financial commitment. Don't get wrapped up in contracts or big incentives that ask you to spend a bunch of money upfront until you know for sure that whatever activity/gym you pick is going to work for you.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Get a membership for your community center

They might have a pool, hot tub, sauna, etc, plus your membership should be good at other community centers in the same city

Reactions: JMCx4

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
So im really out of shape and it is probably best to help fix that. Ive never had a gym membership or anything like that but im a cheaper person and I know if I get one ill try to get my moneys worth and go. Just not sure where to begin. Ill say again, im very much overweight.

What would you think is the best course of action, a larger commercial gym like Goodlife, a smaller local gym thats cheaper plus no commitment, or perhaps a boxing/kickboxing class? Those are much more expensive but it would give some structure for me while a regular gym theres no structure but I could go at my own pace.

Thoughts?
The one that is the most convenient (close by, not too busy), to help ensure that you will keep going. Visit the gym during the time you're most likely to go, to see how busy it is. Think about what will keep you motivated and looking forward to going... and look for that. Make sure that somebody knowledgeable is available to get you on a program (it may be worth your while to go the private route for a personal trainer, and then once you know what exercises to do you can join a gym).

Reactions: JMCx4

Petrouth

Its not my time
Apr 23, 2013
East York, Toronto
Theres actually a goodlife about a 10 minute walk away so that may be the best to go. Honestly, im just having a hard time getting that first time push to go lol its terrifying. Like I want to buts its a mental block that im sure would go away once I start going. Its just that first time...

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Takes least 3 weeks to start to settle into it like a routine. Be realistic with yourself and start off small and just concentrate on going. Treadmill and some light free weights. Once your settled into going as a routine consider a plan whether taken from online or even better yet find a workout partner or hire a personal trainer for a few sessions. They can tailor a workout to your needs and show you the proper technique for different exercises as injuries aren’t fun. Good luck

Reactions: DaveG

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
The key in the beginning is just to go, especially if you don't want to. It is easy to go when you are motivated but just showing up on days you aren't feeling will do wonders in engraining that habit.

As far as which gym, it is really up to you. I am a member of Anytime Fitness - I love the versatility and that pretty well wherever I go, there is one there. Perhaps stay away from show 'n shine facilities like Lifetime, LA Fitness, or the like; the plethora of options is nice, but it is kind of a gimmick if you are just looking at getting your foot in the door. Goodlife, Anytime Fitness, etc are good bets.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
If finances aren’t an issue, then whatever gym is most comfortable. I’ve been going for over a year now, and I’m still self-conscious when I walk around.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'd honestly go for a YMCA. They can be pricey, but they mostly have everything that you'll need. Pool, hot tub, free weights, weight machines, resistance training, and the ones I've been to generally have a pretty good environment. They also offer a lot of classes too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Family used to just go the Y. They have weights, machines, all sorts of classes, and a pool.

Now, of course, it's closed, and I don't know how good I feel about having us go back to any public gym. There is a lot of wet exhalations, sweat, and areas of contact.

I am finally starting to get a home gym together, but it's tough. Everything is sold out, and stores are closed, in any event.

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
I'm one of those people where I find working out at home much better than going to the gym. I had a gym membership for a few years and hardly went. Wasted my money. So I built my own mini gym and it has everything I need.. free weights, resistance bands, medicine ball, kettle bell, elliptical machine.
Also with my heart condition my docs say I should focus more on light weight, cardio and yoga so I have no need for a gym that has machines I would hardly use.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Get a membership for your community center

They might have a pool, hot tub, sauna, etc, plus your membership should be good at other community centers in the same city
I did the community center membership thing for awhile, Its NOT the way to go. It was 2 levels, upstairs had a track and weight machines etc. downstairs had basketball court with badminton nets downstairs for the kids.

Track had 3 lanes Fast Medium Slow. The shitty part was people go with their friends and they just want to walk the track 3 wide and then they get in your way when you're trying to run. The people working their dont do anything or tell these people to stick to the slow lane. The kids come upstairs thinking their steph curry and shoot from the track into the hoops. Sorry kids but get the f*** out!!

Took some time off from going to the community center, signed up with Good LIfe Fitness over a week ago and loving it now.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Thoughts?

4 years on, how are you tracking?

Petrouth

Its not my time
Apr 23, 2013
East York, Toronto
4 years on, how are you tracking?
Barring my recent vacation where I ate everything in sight, actually down over 50 pounds from that post. A diet change has been the main catalyst I think, I track macros religiously.

In terms of gym, I focused pretty much exclusively on cardio. At this point im down the weight but still want to lose ~15 to get to my goal. I think that I want to transition to weights though just because im not very toned/the skinny-fat look. A bit lost on how to start but hell, I was lost before and found what worked for me. Its a process.

Thanks for asking!

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Barring my recent vacation where I ate everything in sight, actually down over 50 pounds from that post. A diet change has been the main catalyst I think, I track macros religiously.

In terms of gym, I focused pretty much exclusively on cardio. At this point im down the weight but still want to lose ~15 to get to my goal. I think that I want to transition to weights though just because im not very toned/the skinny-fat look. A bit lost on how to start but hell, I was lost before and found what worked for me. Its a process.

Thanks for asking!

That's great! When it comes to lifting weights, just don't complicate it. Find exercises you enjoy and are comfortable doing. It's hard to mess up building muscle as long as you're consistent.

Reactions: Petrouth

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Thanks for asking!

Congrats on losing 50 lbs.! That is no small feat, and you should be very proud. If you don't mind me asking, how is your weight now? Not how much you weigh (i don't want to pry), but do you still have a lot of body fat you want to lose?

To answer the original question: As someone who's tried it all, talked to over a hundred different people, etc.; the right answer is to do something you somewhat enjoy doing. By far the best advice I was ever given was "do not do a lot of anything you don't like doing. You should not completely reshape your lifestyle and choices in a short period of time. That's why people never stick with it. Make small life changes and gradually change more."

So your choices should be catered to what you will more likely stick with. For some, that's just more pickup sports games. For me, it's picking the gym that's 5 minutes from my job because I'll go 3 times a week at lunch.

If you (or anyone else) are asking for equipment, I'd recommend somewhere with a fairly substantial amount of weightlifting equipment because weights and diet are far better for fat loss (why most people start going to the gym) than cardio will ever be.

Reactions: Petrouth

Petrouth

Its not my time
Apr 23, 2013
East York, Toronto
Congrats on losing 50 lbs.! That is no small feat, and you should be very proud. If you don't mind me asking, how is your weight now? Not how much you weigh (i don't want to pry), but do you still have a lot of body fat you want to lose?

To answer the original question: As someone who's tried it all, talked to over a hundred different people, etc.; the right answer is to do something you somewhat enjoy doing. By far the best advice I was ever given was "do not do a lot of anything you don't like doing. You should not completely reshape your lifestyle and choices in a short period of time. That's why people never stick with it. Make small life changes and gradually change more."

So your choices should be catered to what you will more likely stick with. For some, that's just more pickup sports games. For me, it's picking the gym that's 5 minutes from my job because I'll go 3 times a week at lunch.

If you (or anyone else) are asking for equipment, I'd recommend somewhere with a fairly substantial amount of weightlifting equipment because weights and diet are far better for fat loss (why most people start going to the gym) than cardio will ever be.
Thank you! Yeah, sometimes I look back and think wow. So I went from 243 at my heaviest to my low of 176. Currently around 182 - struggling to get back in the diet and exercise routine since coming back from vacation haha

But yeah, I still have a rather high body fat percentage, visually at least. The number on the scale has gone down, and I know a look and feel better, but theres still a good bit of body fat (particularly around the waist) to go. As a point, I've made sure to include a lot of protein in my diet to mitigate as much muscle loss as possible.

But I totally agree that it has to be a sustained lifestyle change, not a quick flash in the pan. Its not so much weight loss since it can be gained back, but making a meaningful change. My regular diet is healthy and sustainable with things I love to eat and I had my cardio as a routine (although the few times I was weightlifting were a hell of a lot more enjoyable).

A few things that worked great for me include a daily log of my weight and clothes. I would log my weight every morning and night. That way I could see beyond daily weight fluctuations and visualize how this is a process and the trendline was pointing down. This was honestly the most helpful thing for my morale and I cant imagine losing weight without it. Seeing once tight clothes get looser and looser too was a great boost to morale too - kept me on the path.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Popping back in after the bump.

If you’re looking to add/start a weight training program my main advice is to master proper form vs the amount of weight you’re moving. Dumbbells are great and cable machines are too, specifically for beginners. Also don’t overlook a decent stretch routine.

There’s a ton of free info out there for people looking for it. From break down videos of exercises for what muscle groups, instructional videos for technique, etc.

Athlean X has some good instructional videos on YT.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad