Line Combos: What is your offseason wish list?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Guess I missed it.
You should let Dubas in on that. All indications are he will be in the lineup next season.

just went and looked, don't see it. You sure it's there?

Yes. I said that Ottawa would make the most sense because he can still live in Toronto, his kids can still play hockey in Toronto. Marleau is also guaranteed (I can’t guarantee but Ottawa’s roster can guarantee) to play every game for Ottawa. If he is the silent leader and Mitch’s second father like everyone claims then he should understand that Mitch won’t make the money he deserves while he (Marleau) is here. It makes sense or Ottawa in the same vein that the Datsyuk trade made sense for Arizona and they don’t have a leader on their roster outside of Zach Smith.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Only way you are getting rid of Marleau is if he is going back to San Jose or trading him to a better team for him to waive his NMC.

Marleau (6.25M) and a good prospect/2nd for Melker Karlsson (2M)and Braun(3.8M)/Dillion (3.27M)(whoever the Sharks like less). Leafs can save a minimum of 0.45M if its Braun, if its Dillion then they save 0.98M in 2019-20. Can bury both and save 2.25M or 2.78M 2019-20. Or buyout both and save 4.3M or 4.9M in 2019-20 but cost you 2M in 2020-21. Might even get lucky and trade Karlsson for a late round pick and you could potentially use Braun or Dillion. Or trade them and save the full 6.25M.

For the record i highly doubt San Jose would be interested in Marleau nor giving up Braun in a deal.
Marleau for Dillon actually makes some sense to me. The Leafs would save roughly 3M in cap space to fit in Marner/Kapanen/Johnsson if Brown is dealt as well. They also take care of their summer shopping list. A decent gritty defenseman to fill one of the holes left by Gardiner and Hainsey. The Sharks get to move salary in the deal making it more manageable under the cap for them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I want us to have real workhorse, heavy duty top pairing defensemen. That player type is the true backbone of a sustained contender. Wonder if we can talk to Columbus about that.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
What do you want this leafs team to look like come October? Before you criticize the hypothetical moves I made post your team.

My take:
Trades
1. Nylander for Rakell - Leafs get cheaper add more goal scoring pedigree. Anaheim adds a centerman/winger who is 3 years younger and has 2 extra years of term for their rebuild.
2. Marleau + Bracco for Ottawa 2020 5th -Ottawa adds a highly skilled offensive player which they lack who also has experience playing in UNTDP and the World Juniors with Colin White. They take Marleau because they get 6.25M closer to the cap floor while only paying 1.25M
3. Kadri+Kapanen for Pesce+Necas - Carolina adds a right shot forward which they lack who's coming off a 20 goal season as well a shutdown 2C/3C with recent 30 goal history in exchange for a position of strength (RD) and their top prospect. Probably needs more value going to Carolina.
4. Brown for Glendening (or Rowney if the value is off) - Yzerman begins clearing cap space while the Leafs add a 4th line C who is good on the draw and averages 2:30/GP on the PK.

I didn't try to find a suitor for Zaitsev because I believe a season alongside Muzzin (and one more year off his contract) will do wonders for his value and because I believe he can help ease in the two russians I signed below.

Signings
Marner 10.5Mx6 - my best guess at a Marner contract
Kyle Connor offer sheet 8Mx5 - compensation: 2020 1st, 2nd, 3rd - WPG will be in tough to sign all of their RFA's and Toronto will be in a position to handicap them. Connor adds skill and goal scoring to Matthews wing.
Andreas Johnsson 2.7Mx2 - Best guess at Johnsson's bridge
Ilya Mikheyev 0.925x3 (2?) - Dreger pretty much confirmed he will be joining the Leafs today on Overdrive. Hopefully he brings talent to the 3rd line.
Yegor Korshkov 0.925x3 - It was rumored a few weeks ago that he was coming over

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Connor - Matthews - Rakell
Johnsson - Necas - Mikheyev
Moore - Glendening - Korshkov
Gauthier

Rielly - Pesce
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Rosen - Dermott
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

Total of 82.6M with Kessel

PP1: Connor
Marner - Tavares - Matthews
Rielly

PP2: Johnsson
Rakell - Necas - Mikheyev
Rosen

PK1: Glendening-Hyman
Muzzin - Zaitsev

PK2: Marner - Moore
Dermott - Pesce

Pros:
-balanced top pair
-lethal 2nd line with size
-2 right handed centers

Questions:
-can Mikheyev play 3rd line minutes?
-can Necas play 3C?

Cons:
-Zaitsev is still around
-weaker 3rd line

Expansion draft protection:
F: Tavares
Marner
Matthews
Connor
Rakell
Johnsson
Bracco/Mikheyev/Korshkov
(don't protect Hyman then re-sign him as UFA)

D: Rielly
Pesce
Dermott

Leafs aren't getting rid of Bracco and even if they he is worth more than a 5th round pick.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Willie gone (thats the only way the money works) and MM, AJ, and Kapi signed long term. Also a legit top 4 RD, a better backup, and a bottom 6 winger who can bang and still get 10 goals. Dubas can make this happen easy enough. Now if two Marlie defensemen and two Marlie forwards can force their way into the lineup as well that would be the icing, but management can't do it for them.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I want us to have real workhorse, heavy duty top pairing defensemen. That player type is the true backbone of a sustained contender. Wonder if we can talk to Columbus about that.

I wonder if you are referring to David Savard. I love Werenski but the Leafs are stacked at LD and Jones will cost you Marner. How good is he compared to Manson or Pesce? He might actually be the most affordable of the 3 but if you can only afford one big spend at RD is he enough?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if you are referring to David Savard. I love Werenski but the Leafs are stacked at LD and Jones will cost you Marner. How good is he compared to Manson or Pesce? He might actually be the most affordable of the 3 but if you can only afford one big spend at RD is he enough?

I've been holding out hope that one day a Nylander for Werenski deal could come to fruition. Of course if he were a RHD that would be so perfect, but I'd take him and try to get the RHD some other way. But David Savard is a beast too. Kind of like a younger, RHD Muzzin.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Defence and grit up front are our top priorities.

Our defence needs serious improvement otherwise we're going to be handing significant minutes to untested and unproven rookies/Marlies. We also have way too much money tied up in wingers, with three more expecting significant raises this off-season.

It isn't hard to figure out what's going to happen here. The Leafs are going to be shedding money on the wings and it's going to happen one way or the other, sooner or later.

If you're taking the conservative route, you're trading Johnsson/Kapanen, biding your time for Lijegren/Sandin to come in on defence down the line, and rolling the dice on a weak D corp next season.

If you're taking the more aggressive route, you're trading Nylander and Johnsson/Kapanen, parlaying those assets into an established defenceman, and going into next season headstrong with a balanced roster.

In both of those scenarios, the key is going to be filling in the vacated forward positions with some grit / all-round skillsets. Balance is key in today's NHL and the roster as it stands right now is lacking it.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah that is what Babcock said last year, when he was saddled with them when he asked for RHD help.

Lets hope the GM can do better this year, so the coach is not blamed for faulty ineffective player personnel. ;)
We will see what Dubas does in the offseason.
So far, with the exception of a very few, I don’t like the identity of this team.
Too casual and nonchalant.

Blue collar and intensity are missing.

Metalfan

Feb 1, 2016
Ok. Just want to post my thoughts on how I think the off-season will go down. Sorry for the long post. So I think, the way the leafs will try to keep all of their big ticket players will be to ensure that we have enough cheap (i.e. close to league minimum, ELC), players to surround them with. It’ll be a highly-paid core, with mostly cheap guys in between. That’s the way it needs to be done in order to keep this together. If you can keep a core of Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Reilly, Dermott, Muzzin, Andersen (plus Liljegren and Sandin), that’s the core you build around. You can make a contender by filling around the edges of that roster.

I understand people are made about the Matthews and Nylander contracts, which are perceived as over-payments, and for sure you prefer a discount, but I’d rather slightly over-pay and retain core than middling players (i.e. Okposo, Lucic). At the beginning of the year most people thought 8x11M was a fair contract for Matthews, and the Pastrank Deal (6x6.66M) was a baseline for Willy. So for Willy, our deal exceeded Pastrnaks by 0.24M. Matthews deal was about 0.6M above what we expected, and the term was less. But in terms of cap it wasn’t way higher than we expected. This year was tough, so I think we’re all being a little too sensitive towards anything that’s not 100% ideal.
In terms of next year, Dubas has already started locking up cheap talent (Petan, Moore, Rosen) that probably has more to offer than we’ve seen in the past.

I also think the Leafs cap problems have been vastly overstated. First, off after this year everything opens up (due to Marleau’s contract ending), but even this year. I went on cap friendly to the GM mode and you can make a cap compliant team based on a projected 83M cap with very simple moves.

1. Trade Connor Brown for picks
2. Sign Marner to 9.5M x 8 years (should be in this ball park realistically based on his comparables, stone, kucherov).
3. Sign Kapanen to 2.5M x 2 years
4. Sign Johnsson to 3M x 3 years.
5. Hainsey and Gardiner walk.
6. Horton and Dermott on LTIR.

This results in you having a team as below.

Zack Hyman - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Trevor Moore - Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Andreas Johnsson - Nazem Kadri - Kasperi Kapanen
Patrick Marleau - Frederik Gauthier - Nick Petan

Morgan Reilly - Nikita Zaitsev
Jake Muzzin - Justin Holl
Calle Rosen - Timothy Lijegren

Frederik Andersen
Garrett Sparks

I know some people will say that the RFA signing are too low and unrealistic. I think if the players are being reasonable that those are fair deals. However, for this team to be cap compliant all I have done is move Brown. I haven’t even had to move one of Marleau or Zaitsev. If you just move on of them, the resulting cap space makes it easy to fit slightly above the costs I’ve attributed to the RFAs. Or you could move Hyman if you really wanted to. Or trade one of Kapanen/Johnsson (not both). Anyway, the point of this was to show that the situation is not nearly as dire as the mainstream media would have you believe, and I’m sure the much smarter team in Leafs Management can be much more creative to improve the team.

Anyway, I’ll end this with a couple of predictions for what I think will happen in the off-season. These will be different than the team I posted above. The team was just to show that this can be done, easier than most think.

1. Zaitsev traded. I’m not sure what for, but I think this will happen. It makes the most sense. Then by the year after next we open up 10+M between him and Marleau. Even if we have to trade like a 2nd, I think it’s worth it. We can make that value up with free agent signings (NCAA, CHL, Europe) and undrafted players.

2. Connor Brown traded for picks/players. Not sure of the deal, but I’d bet on the player coming back being a prospect that doesn’t count against the cap, or just picks. This is the easiest way to clear space. Maybe like a 3rd or 4th (hopefully a 2nd).

3. Hainsey walks (unless he signs close to a league min deal). I still think Dubas will let him go to mould the defence into a more mobile corps.

4. Marner signs a vanity contract with us for 10.16M x 8 years (I know this is different than the team above, but I’m just guessing here).

5. One of Johnsson/Kapanen traded. The other kept, Bracco makes the team to replace one of them.

6. In general I think we will invest heavily in scouting for NCAA, CHL, and European leagues. We have less picks right now, and might have to pay more to get rid of bad contracts (i.e. Zaitsev) but we can use our scouting and development to regain that value if we hit on players like Trevor Moore as unsigned players that we pick up. I think the leafs management will try this route.

7. Both assistant coaches replaced (possibly Keefe, although I’m not in love with this idea. I love Sheldon but this would create a toxic work environment).

8. The team will adopt a new structure for the coming season, specifically new breakout system, new lines, and usage (TOI increased for stars, and more PP1 time). The new schemes will be more in line with puck possession type teams that Dubas is known to favor.

9. Sparks will be given a chance but a more established back-up will be brought in to challenge him (unlike this year).

I’m looking forward to see how the off-season turns out, and I think next year will be a lot more fun as all main contracts will be locked up, and we’ll be able to focus on the season. I know this year it was tough to watch a bunch of guys score and then cringe at the thought of their contracts. Let me know what other people think. I’m not 100% sure on any of this, but I think it’ll be fun to discuss. I just wanted to add some optimism to the negativity that I see towards the team everywhere.
Also, let me know if I put this in the wrong place, or feel free to move it to the correct place.

Looking forward to hearing what other people think.

Go Leafs Go

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Ok. Just want to post my thoughts on how I think the off-season will go down. Sorry for the long post. So I think, the way the leafs will try to keep all of their big ticket players will be to ensure that we have enough cheap (i.e. close to league minimum, ELC), players to surround them with. It’ll be a highly-paid core, with mostly cheap guys in between. That’s the way it needs to be done in order to keep this together. If you can keep a core of Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Reilly, Dermott, Muzzin, Andersen (plus Liljegren and Sandin), that’s the core you build around. You can make a contender by filling around the edges of that roster.

The question is how.

With the team completely capped out, I hope you realize "filling around the edges" gets incredibly difficult.

Usually you rely on draft capital for that, and I'm sorry but penciling in guys like Dermott, Lijegren, and Sandin for "core" roles with the team is extremely premature.

Also there's no possible way you can have a core of 11 players, for any length of time outside of one season.

I understand people are made about the Matthews and Nylander contracts, which are perceived as over-payments, and for sure you prefer a discount, but I’d rather slightly over-pay and retain core than middling players (i.e. Okposo, Lucic). At the beginning of the year most people thought 8x11M was a fair contract for Matthews, and the Pastrank Deal (6x6.66M) was a baseline for Willy. So for Willy, our deal exceeded Pastrnaks by 0.24M. Matthews deal was about 0.6M above what we expected, and the term was less. But in terms of cap it wasn’t way higher than we expected. This year was tough, so I think we’re all being a little too sensitive towards anything that’s not 100% ideal.
In terms of next year, Dubas has already started locking up cheap talent (Petan, Moore, Rosen) that probably has more to offer than we’ve seen in the past.

So basically you're ok with us overpaying significantly for Matthews and Nylander because you're convinced Petan, Moore, and Rosen are better than the fringe players they currently are?

I also think the Leafs cap problems have been vastly overstated. First, off after this year everything opens up (due to Marleau’s contract ending), but even this year. I went on cap friendly to the GM mode and you can make a cap compliant team based on a projected 83M cap with very simple moves.

1. Trade Connor Brown for picks
2. Sign Marner to 9.5M x 8 years (should be in this ball park realistically based on his comparables, stone, kucherov).
3. Sign Kapanen to 2.5M x 2 years
4. Sign Johnsson to 3M x 3 years.
5. Hainsey and Gardiner walk.
6. Horton and Dermott on LTIR.

This results in you having a team as below.

Zack Hyman - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Trevor Moore - Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Andreas Johnsson - Nazem Kadri - Kasperi Kapanen
Patrick Marleau - Frederik Gauthier - Nick Petan

Morgan Reilly - Nikita Zaitsev
Jake Muzzin - Justin Holl
Calle Rosen - Timothy Lijegren

Frederik Andersen
Garrett Sparks

And all that pipedreaming results in almost the exact same roster from this year minus two legitimate NHL defencemen (including one RD) on an already poor defensive team.

I know some people will say that the RFA signing are too low and unrealistic. I think if the players are being reasonable that those are fair deals. However, for this team to be cap compliant all I have done is move Brown. I haven’t even had to move one of Marleau or Zaitsev. If you just move on of them, the resulting cap space makes it easy to fit slightly above the costs I’ve attributed to the RFAs. Or you could move Hyman if you really wanted to. Or trade one of Kapanen/Johnsson (not both). Anyway, the point of this was to show that the situation is not nearly as dire as the mainstream media would have you believe, and I’m sure the much smarter team in Leafs Management can be much more creative to improve the team.

Absolutely they're unrealistic, especially as it pertains to Marner.

And Hyman is one of the last players that should be traded.

Anyway, I’ll end this with a couple of predictions for what I think will happen in the off-season. These will be different than the team I posted above. The team was just to show that this can be done, easier than most think.

1. Zaitsev traded. I’m not sure what for, but I think this will happen. It makes the most sense. Then by the year after next we open up 10+M between him and Marleau. Even if we have to trade like a 2nd, I think it’s worth it. We can make that value up with free agent signings (NCAA, CHL, Europe) and undrafted players.

2. Connor Brown traded for picks/players. Not sure of the deal, but I’d bet on the player coming back being a prospect that doesn’t count against the cap, or just picks. This is the easiest way to clear space. Maybe like a 3rd or 4th (hopefully a 2nd).

3. Hainsey walks (unless he signs close to a league min deal). I still think Dubas will let him go to mould the defence into a more mobile corps.

4. Marner signs a vanity contract with us for 10.16M x 8 years (I know this is different than the team above, but I’m just guessing here).

5. One of Johnsson/Kapanen traded. The other kept, Bracco makes the team to replace one of them.

6. In general I think we will invest heavily in scouting for NCAA, CHL, and European leagues. We have less picks right now, and might have to pay more to get rid of bad contracts (i.e. Zaitsev) but we can use our scouting and development to regain that value if we hit on players like Trevor Moore as unsigned players that we pick up. I think the leafs management will try this route.

7. Both assistant coaches replaced (possibly Keefe, although I’m not in love with this idea. I love Sheldon but this would create a toxic work environment).

8. The team will adopt a new structure for the coming season, specifically new breakout system, new lines, and usage (TOI increased for stars, and more PP1 time). The new schemes will be more in line with puck possession type teams that Dubas is known to favor.

9. Sparks will be given a chance but a more established back-up will be brought in to challenge him (unlike this year).

I’m looking forward to see how the off-season turns out, and I think next year will be a lot more fun as all main contracts will be locked up, and we’ll be able to focus on the season. I know this year it was tough to watch a bunch of guys score and then cringe at the thought of their contracts. Let me know what other people think. I’m not 100% sure on any of this, but I think it’ll be fun to discuss. I just wanted to add some optimism to the negativity that I see towards the team everywhere.
Also, let me know if I put this in the wrong place, or feel free to move it to the correct place.

Looking forward to hearing what other people think.

Go Leafs Go

I can see the bolded happening. Aside from that I think you're dreaming.

Also where do you get this idea that Dubas has "puck possession schemes" drawn up for the coaching staff? You do realize he has literally zero experience in hockey coaching and strategy, yet you're proposing he topple Babcock's systems why exactly?

Last edited:

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Kadri, Gardiner, Kapanen gone. Gritty playmaking winger for Matthews and Nylander. A real 3c who’s hard to play against. JT with the C and a message being sent by not caving into Marners demands. Time to take the city’s keys back from the primadonna children.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
The question is how.

With the team completely capped out, I hope you realize "filling around the edges" gets incredibly difficult.

Usually you rely on draft capital for that, and I'm sorry but penciling in guys like Dermott, Lijegren, and Sandin for "core" roles with the team is extremely premature.

Guys like Mikheyev and Korshkov may help. Bracco on ELC and maybe a few others. I think Lily and Sandin stay in the AHL tho. Demott is legit but I hope his injury doesn't set him back too much. Moore too.

So basically you're ok with us overpaying significantly for Matthews and Nylander because you're convinced Petan, Moore, and Rosen are better than the fringe players they currently are?

lol no...his point was it wasn't significant. And helped by the value Dubas has found in those types of players.

And all that pipedreaming results in almost the exact same roster from this year minus two legitimate NHL defencemen (including one RD) on an already poor defensive team.

Have an issue with 'pipedreaming' but this is a valid point. But he was just showing how we can easily stay under the cap. A couple more moves open up cap to get a different look.

Absolutely they're unrealistic, especially as it pertains to Marner.

And Hyman is one of the last players that should be traded.

Marner's contract is probably unrealistic in length but cap hit is pretty damn close IMO. Agree on keeping Hyman....great value.

I thought it was great post lol

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes. I said that Ottawa would make the most sense because he can still live in Toronto, his kids can still play hockey in Toronto. Marleau is also guaranteed (I can’t guarantee but Ottawa’s roster can guarantee) to play every game for Ottawa. If he is the silent leader and Mitch’s second father like everyone claims then he should understand that Mitch won’t make the money he deserves while he (Marleau) is here. It makes sense or Ottawa in the same vein that the Datsyuk trade made sense for Arizona and they don’t have a leader on their roster outside of Zach Smith.
There is nothing comparable between Datsyuk and Marleau.
Marleau on the cap won't effect Marner, it will effect some players further down the depth chart.
Your scenario seems very unlikely.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
There is nothing comparable between Datsyuk and Marleau.
Marleau on the cap won't effect Marner, it will effect some players further down the depth chart.
Your scenario seems very unlikely.

How is nothing comparable between Marleau and Datsyuk? Datsyuk carried a 7.5M cap hit for 1 season and no real dollars, Marleau carries a 6.25M cap hit and 1.25M in real dollars. Very close situations except that Marleau plays which would be a benefit to Ottawa due to their lack of NHL forwards. Marleau 100% prevents Marner from making 11M+ he wants to make.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How is nothing comparable between Marleau and Datsyuk? Datsyuk carried a 7.5M cap hit for 1 season and no real dollars, Marleau carries a 6.25M cap hit and 1.25M in real dollars. Very close situations except that Marleau plays which would be a benefit to Ottawa due to their lack of NHL forwards. Marleau 100% prevents Marner from making 11M+ he wants to make.
Datsyuk has won a cup and no longer wanted to play in the league.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Holy smokes the trade to get Marleau away is steeeep! Would not try that in a million years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We will see what Dubas does in the offseason.
So far, with the exception of a very few, I don’t like the identity of this team.
Too casual and nonchalant.

Blue collar and intensity are missing.

What I'm afraid of is that we're trying to play HockeyPuck (MoneyBall) by being a analytics expert that the advanced stats don't reflect well on blue collar style worker hockey players, where Zone entries and puck possession by skating around on the perimeter etc show better for a different style of player.

Bringing the puck into the Ozone with possession is a more important quality than a player that dumps it in, and then like a dog on a bone goes into the corner aggressively forechecking crashing and banging to get it back. A shot on net when calculating PDO metrics reflects better on a shooter than a player that fearlessly falls in front of a puck blocking a shot and preventing a shot on net when SPSV% is concerned. A player takeaway with an nonchalant lazy but successful stick-check, doesn't show any differently than playing heavy hockey of playing the body and separating the puck carrier winning puck battles through blue collar hard work and physical contact.

Leafs are going to increase their analytics budget by $50 mil this year, but it might simply be identifying the wrong types of players because of how those stats are used towards team building.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
When 100% healthy:
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner (Johnsson looked great on this line when they were together last season)
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander (reunite this line to get Willy back in his groove)
Moore-Kadri-Bracco (Both those kids deserve looks on something other than the 4th line, hopefully get Naz going)
Mikheyev-GOAT-Korshkov (Get the KHL boys accustomed to the NHL before promoting them higher)

Rielly-RHD (RHD acquired via trade with Kapanen included in that deal)
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Zaitsev

Traded: Brown, Kapanen, Marleau(I pray)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad