What is the plan with Aho?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Svechnikov is top tier Tavares, Stamkos, MacKinnon, Hall (for winger example) level elite.

Teravainen is a mid-level 1st line winger with the potential to be a good one. Nowhere near elite in my definition of the term.

Imho, you can’t be an elite nhl player having never played a single nhl game.

The potential is there, but calling him one already is, to me, jumping the gun.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Imho, you can’t be an elite nhl player having never played a single nhl game.

The potential is there, but calling him one already is, to me, jumping the gun.

Never? Connor McDavid was clearly a generational NHL talent before playing one game. Crosby was the same. Guys that put up 100 points in their first couple years and won Hart/Art Ross trophies.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Never? Connor McDavid was clearly a generational NHL talent before playing one game. Crosby was the same. Guys that put up 100 points in their first couple years and won Hart/Art Ross trophies.

We can go back and forth on this all day. You're not an elite nhl player when you haven’t played in the nhl yet. I’ve already said the potential is there but let’s temper our expectations a little for now, hmm? You’re now mentioning him in the same breathe as the two best players in the game.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC

They were also clear cut generational talents. Svech wasnt even taken number 1 overall and also is the 3rd most highly touted player taken 2nd overall in the last 5 years (Eichel and Laine)

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
We can go back and forth on this all day. You're not an elite nhl player when you haven’t played in the nhl yet. I’ve already said the potential is there but let’s temper our expectations a little for now, hmm? You’re now mentioning him in the same breathe as the two best players in the game.

Cardiac--I don't disagree even though I started the "elite" Svechnikov thread. You make a great point about not playing in the NHL. My assessment (I know that is being generous to myself) is based on Svech being the first forward drafted. This is that list for 2008-2017:

Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, Mackinnon, Reinhart, McDavid, Matthews, Hischier.

I realize all but Reinhart were #1. However, it is likely Svechnikov would have been #1 in at least 4 of those drafts.

So I agree Svechnikov should not be called elite yet. But I also think there is at least a 2/3 likelihood that he is elite during his Canes' career.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Skinner - Aho - TT
Ferland - Necas - Svechnikov
McGinn - Staal - Williams
Martinook - Rask - PDG

There’s a few combos to try. But I see something like that.
I wonder how good Jeffery Skinner would actually be against top line defensive talent. He's mostly been matched up agains 2nd and 3rd lines, right?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I wonder how good Jeffery Skinner would actually be against top line defensive talent. He's mostly been matched up agains 2nd and 3rd lines, right?
I think playing with Aho and TT could make him quite efficient in that scenario too. The line would definitely have lots of skill and great skating too. I also think that Aho would work very well also defensively as a center. So far when he has been a center he has managed to play great both ways. I would definitely like to see him get much more of ice time as a center.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think playing with Aho and TT could make him quite efficient in that scenario too. The line would definitely have lots of skill and great skating too. I also think that Aho would work very well also defensively as a center. So far when he has been a center he has managed to play great both ways. I would definitely like to see him get much more of ice time as a center.

If we had to put up match ups:
Hard Line Match up: McGinn - Staal - Williams
Offensive Threat 1: Skinner - Aho - TT
Offensive Threat 2: Ferland - Necas - Svenchnikov
Overall 4th: Martinook - Rask - PDG

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
All of you are creating rosters without Zykov? I just have a hard time imagining he doesn’t make the team this year the way he finished off last season. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start the year with Aho & TT again.

Zykov - Aho - TT
Skinner - Staal - Svechnikov
Ferland - Necas - Williams
McGinn - Rask - Maenalanen/ PDG / Martinook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad