Proposal: What is the Oilers' emergency response plan?

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Let's say 20 games into the season and the team looks flat. The offense isn't producing, McDavid is playing like he's still in the OHL, Talbot is worse than Fasth, and our defense is slow and soft as butter.

It's not something any of us want to think about, but for argument's sake, what would the Oilers and PC/Nicholson do in this situation?

Who is the first to get dealt? Which guys do we start to target? Do we hold out for another season and not worry too much about this one?

What is an emergency trade that we can pull the trigger on that might save this team if they are awful at the beginning of the season without compromising our future?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Let's say 20 games into the season and the team looks flat. The offense isn't producing, McDavid is playing like he's still in the OHL, Talbot is worse than Fasth, and our defense is slow and soft as butter.

It's not something any of us want to think about, but for argument's sake, what would the Oilers and PC/Nicholson do in this situation?

Who is the first to get dealt? Which guys do we start to target? Do we hold out for another season and not worry too much about this one?

What is an emergency trade that we can pull the trigger on that might save this team if they are awful at the beginning of the season without compromising our future?

What if a meteor hit Rexall? What is their plan then?

Logical McNonsense

Jul 3, 2015
Medicine Hat, AB
This very well could happen considering last year we could have been saying

"Let's say 20 games into the season and the team looks flat. The offense isn't producing, Drai is playing like he's still in the WHL, Scrivens is worse than Dubnyk, and our defense is slow and soft as butter.

It's not something any of us want to think about, but for argument's sake, what would the Oilers and MacT do in this situation?

What is an emergency trade that we can pull the trigger on that might save this team if they are awful at the beginning of the season without compromising our future?"

And looked what happened. I know last year I was not expecting the Oilers to be so bad, and this year the same thing could happen. But I feel like the difference this year is something drastic will happen if it does.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
This year we don't have he who must not be named still here. That alone means I doubt this will happen. But if it did, I imagine eberle gets traded for a joel ward type. Hard to make drastic trades that early in the season I imagine

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
We've got the next few years of draft picks we won't really need. That's my first instinct.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Please no.

I am pessimistic enough already without seeing threads like this.

The easy answer is what everyone has been saying forever. Trade a winger (more than likely Yak or Ebs) for some players with size grit experience and still some talent.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
yeah I suspect Chiarelli isn't gonna fiddle his thumbs while the team struggles unlike idiot macT. I suspect a couple of the young kids are gone asap....and rightfully so. If this team can't find a way to start properly with all this off season momentum, then it comes down to the kids not being able to carry a NHL club, I'd probably ship off eberle, yakupov schultz, and if things still aren't better, taylor hall

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

The team has a tough schedule to start the season but I highly doubt that they'll come out flat. The players are legitimately excited for the new coaching staff. Goaltending will be better, Mcdavid will be good and even the defence will be better. The team might be under .500 after 20 games but they'll play exciting hockey.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The team has a tough schedule to start the season but I highly doubt that they'll come out flat. The players are legitimately excited for the new coaching staff. Goaltending will be better, Mcdavid will be good and even the defence will be better. The team might be under .500 after 20 games but they'll play exciting hockey.

Under .500 is lottery pick territory in the 3pt game NHL.

Exciting would be playing competitive hockey. Not being buried again by November.

Plus, and I have to mention this is that the core of this club have been experts at "coming out flat"

Good thing we got McDavid or its a foregone conclusion.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
yeah I suspect Chiarelli isn't gonna fiddle his thumbs while the team struggles unlike idiot macT. I suspect a couple of the young kids are gone asap....and rightfully so. If this team can't find a way to start properly with all this off season momentum, then it comes down to the kids not being able to carry a NHL club, I'd probably ship off eberle, yakupov schultz, and if things still aren't better, taylor hall

Chia has largely fiddled his fingers the whole offseason. What makes you think regular season, where options are limited, will be much different?

btw your plan sounds like a disaster. Hopefully it isn't Chia's plan. Blow it up real good seldom works and results in us losing multiple talents that make this club even watchable.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Same as it is every year

The hockey equivalent of this:
double.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

You'd have to think that one of Hall or Eberle would be moved probably at the '16 draft. We'd then target some D and a goalie in the offseason after clearing a bunch of cap with the expiring contracts of Purcell and Nikitin.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Chia has largely fiddled his fingers the whole offseason. What makes you think regular season, where options are limited, will be much different?

btw your plan sounds like a disaster. Hopefully it isn't Chia's plan. Blow it up real good seldom works and results in us losing multiple talents that make this club even watchable.

Yeah he largely fiddled his fingers because he doesn't know the full extent of his on ice product. Additionally, the core of the team is going to determine our success so if they still aren't getting it done, it's time to move them

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land

Yakupov to other slumping/could be contender team.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
We trade some core. Hall, ebs, RNH, or Yak gets offered up as sacrifice.

It will likely return on way less than we would imagine due to a lack of leverage. And it would also signal the beginning of the end for the rebuild.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Please no.

I am pessimistic enough already without seeing threads like this.

The easy answer is what everyone has been saying forever. Trade a winger (more than likely Yak or Ebs) for some players with size grit experience and still some talent.

this. If they were to have say a 6-14 start, the culprit is more than likely the Dcorp. Sure it could be G or small forwards, but the Dcorp has been terrible for years and has never been truly addressed. Some FA signings and just hope it works out is all they've ever done.

This is the last straw for this so-called core. Prove it, or Schultz and Yak/Ebs are gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens even if they have a decent start. Everyone (except Lowe/MacT/Howson) has been saying for years that this core doesn't have the proper make up. How much longer do you keep denying the obvious?

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

I don't think he fiddled his fingers more than the other 29 GMs in the league. I think he's a guy that was brought in here to bite the bullet and make the trade that MacT was never going to be able to make (ie Eberle or Hall).

You'd have to think that one of Hall or Eberle would be moved probably at the '16 draft. We'd then target some D and a goalie in the offseason after clearing a bunch of cap with the expiring contracts of Purcell and Nikitin.
So you think they'll sit tight for the '15-'16 season and wait until the draft to change things? I hope this team at least tries to change their makeup during the course of the season if things aren't working out (ie trading 2016 picks).
this. If they were to have say a 6-14 start, the culprit is more than likely the Dcorp. Sure it could be G or small forwards, but the Dcorp has been terrible for years and has never been truly addressed. Some FA signings and just hope it works out is all they've ever done.

This is the last straw for this so-called core. Prove it, or Schultz and Yak/Ebs are gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens even if they have a decent start. Everyone (except Lowe/MacT/Howson) has been saying for years that this core doesn't have the proper make up. How much longer do you keep denying the obvious?

I agree. Signing Sekera is all fine and dandy, but we lost Petry so that's kind of a lateral move in the end. Adding Gryba and removing Marincin doesn't improve it either. Nothing has really been done to improve our defense. At this point, it's just hoping and praying that McLellan can make them improve.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I suspect our AHL team will have a lot of good players on it. It's likely that of Drai, Nurse and Reinhart, maybe only one makes the Oilers opening night, if that. If the team comes out flat the first move would be to make a couple call ups and start benching people.

If the team is flat but still playing around .500 after 20 games, then I suspect we won't do a whole lot though. Considering the talent level and the quality of coach, there will be a lot of patience for the group to figure things out and work through a rough patch.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yakupov and Schultz are likely first to go in that scenario.

Hall, Eberle, even RNH will be put on notice and moving one of them becomes possible most likely next summer for a d-man (most likely). That's where you go after a Seth Jones or something.

They will refocus around McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nurse.

McLellan gets two years minimum here no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad