What is the knock on Gerrad Gallant, and why is Berube considered such a better coaching candidate?

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
You can't take the cup win away from Berube, but sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle on a cup run - he hasn't had much success outside that year.

Gallant has had a ton of early success then gets kicked to the curb almost immediately after the next year.

Seems like most analysts talk about Berube being available a lot more than Gallant.

Can someone please fill in the blanks?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My impression of Gallant is that he’s more averse to analytics and playing young players - pretty much all coaches are but him more so than others. And that probably becomes at-odds with the GM.

Reactions: vpasla1

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gallant is usually not well liked by his players IRC and his act wears thin very quickly. Not to mention he's not a very tactical coach either and IRC also pretty hostile to analytics .

Usually 3-4 years is how long a coaching tenure lasts . Gallant lasts 2-3 years at best. Hasn't lasted 3 full seasons in any of his coaching jobs. Allways got fired at the latest in his third year.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
It has less to do with Berube and more to do with Gallant. Gallant loses the room very quick. Why hire a coach that will only last 2 seasons?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Interesting. I had always thought that Gallant was considered a player's coach. I thought I remember hearing that both in Florida and Vegas.
My sense as well. Seemed like he got complacent in Vegas and if his post game interviews were any indication, he likely wasn't taking any players to task in the locker room (even godawful losses would be met with Gallant saying "I liked our game tonight, bounces just didn't go our way"). And that seems to line up with rumors (mostly coming from Pacioretty) that the team had a culture lacking in accountability.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Gallant is usually not well liked by his players IRC and his act wears thin very quickly. Not to mention he's not a very tactical coach either and IRC also pretty hostile to analytics .

Usually 3-4 years is how long a coaching tenure lasts . Gallant lasts 2-3 years at best. Hasn't lasted 3 full seasons in any of his coaching jobs. Allways got fired at the latest in his third year.

I do not think this is correct. Gallant has always been know as a players coach. His issue is his teams do not have any structure and he cannot adapt or modify.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I do not think this is correct. Gallant has always been know as a players coach. His issue is his teams do not have any structure and he cannot adapt or modify.

He allways seemed like a hardass bench screamer to me.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Gallant is this generations Therrien. Players grow to hate him and he wears out his welcome too quickly to get results.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
My sense as well. Seemed like he got complacent in Vegas and if his post game interviews were any indication, he likely wasn't taking any players to task in the locker room (even godawful losses would be met with Gallant saying "I liked our game tonight, bounces just didn't go our way"). And that seems to line up with rumors (mostly coming from Pacioretty) that the team had a culture lacking in accountability.
Heard that a lot when he was in NY

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
If the case is to hire Berube over Gallant for a cup:

Scotty Bowman is the ONLY coach to win a cup with 2 teams since World War II.

There is a very slim chance that Berube wins it elsewhere.
And coaches that win a cup usually win it early on in their career with the first or second team they coach. Teams really should not hire re-treads.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
gallant is a guy players love but he's just really old school, and it seems like it doesn't resonate as well with this generation. he's just really hands off in how he deals with players and doesn't create much in the way of personal relationships. you show up at the rink to do your job and that's that.

with the right staff, he could do well. players like playing for him and he gives them a ton of freedom to play their game with a pretty loosely defined structure he implements. he's the polar opposite of guys like hakstol or quinn who make too many demands of players for them to have any creativity to their game. it's possible to find the balance with a guy like him, it just requires his being surrounded by a staff he gives the freedom to add more details to the gameplan and do interact more with players so you keep players bought in on knowing what they need to do and how they need to play to be successful without suffocating their individual skillsets.

Reactions: banks

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Gallant's teams are usually ass five on five and he can't coach young players.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Something I’ve noticed when he was with Florida,Vegas, NYR is that he’s unable to make adjustments if his team is struggling in the regular season or he’s being out coached in a playoff series. That’s something that’s usually critical for a coach to have success. He just comes off as an old school my way or the highway coach, which might explain rumours of having rifts with management and players and doesn’t last long. Very similar to Darryl Sutter with his approaches.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
You can't take the cup win away from Berube, but sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle on a cup run - he hasn't had much success outside that year.

Gallant has had a ton of early success then gets kicked to the curb almost immediately after the next year.

Seems like most analysts talk about Berube being available a lot more than Gallant.

Can someone please fill in the blanks?
My impression is that Gallant likely does not get along well with his GM/team management. Generally speaking when you see someone that has shorter job stays than average they usually are hard to manage. When the Devils hired Ruff Gallant was the hot, must have coach. Four short years later he is rarely mentioned. GMs speak all the time and I have a feeling his former GMs have not spoke well about him to the other GMs.

• Wow
Reactions: Dialamo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad