What is the identity of the Flames without Gaudreau?

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
First off, looong time lurker and Flamer here on hfboards since 2014 so hello all! Go Flam Go.

Now, this last stretch of games in January may be the most evident it has ever been that Johnny Gaudreau is the lifeblood of this era of Flames teams. The team lives and dies by his nightly performances. He's now up to 52P in 41GP while playing the best hockey of his career at both ends of the ice. This next level is something not even most seasoned Flames fans could have imagined was possible from him.

That being said, it's a well documented fact that outside of Gaudreau the Flames lack any serious play drivers who can consistently create scoring chances. Tkachuk is a player that thrives best riding shotgun with an elite playmaker doing the heavy lifting. We have some other decent young players and supporting cast but I shudder at the thought of what this team looks like without elite talent like Gaudreau. Every game could very well look like tonight's Vancouver game where we have almost no legitimate scoring chances outside of Gaudreau's breakaway and OT winner. We are seen as a fast and skilled team purely with Johnny being in the lineup, but what is the identity of the Flames without him? Do we go back to being Sutter teams of the past trying to grind out games 1-0 or 2-1 every night?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Gaudreau is pretty easily the most skilled Flames player I’ve watched in my lifetime.

He’s also been extremely inconsistent throughout his career, not just season-to-season, but month-to-month as well.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he’s been playing arguably his best hockey in a season where his future is very dependent on his performance. That’s not to say that I think he’s going to just mail it in when he gets paid, I just don’t think that the Gaudreau we’re witnessing this season is the Gaudreau we’re gonna get every season. (And I swear if someone tries to tell me that it’s just Monahan that’s been holding Gaudreau back all this time I might just block you)

I do hope we re-sign him, because you are right, the Flames are sorely lacking any other players that can drive offense the way he can.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
If we haven't done much to this point with Johhny at 6.75 million, how could we expect to do anything when we pay him 9+?
We're in cap trouble next year with signing JG/TK, Mang, and too much $$ tied up in Backlund, Coleman and Monny.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
And that might just be the right step to turn this franchise around.
I'd agree if I thought we would get a better top line group of players but I've been through a Flames rebuild before and we can't/won't/don't complete the rebuild before we push for the playoffs

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
And this one would probably not be any different, but it is undeniable how good the 2023 draft looks for any bottom finishing club.
It's just hard to think about moving him when we're competing, but it's also hard to think about losing him for nothing.

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
Gaudreau is pretty easily the most skilled Flames player I’ve watched in my lifetime.

He’s also been extremely inconsistent throughout his career, not just season-to-season, but month-to-month as well.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he’s been playing arguably his best hockey in a season where his future is very dependent on his performance. That’s not to say that I think he’s going to just mail it in when he gets paid, I just don’t think that the Gaudreau we’re witnessing this season is the Gaudreau we’re gonna get every season. (And I swear if someone tries to tell me that it’s just Monahan that’s been holding Gaudreau back all this time I might just block you)

I do hope we re-sign him, because you are right, the Flames are sorely lacking any other players that can drive offense the way he can.

I think the coaching carousel and lack of effective structure hasn't helped in past seasons for his consistency, but I do think this version of Johnny will be here to stay. It seems like he's matured as a pro and Sutter talked about being impressed by his approach to this season. Expecting this level of production every season may be unrealistic, but his skill and gamebreaking ability will always be there and he's earned every dollar he'll get on the next contract... hopefully re-signing with the Flames but I can't blame him for wanting a shot elsewhere either given our inability to build a true contender around him.

Reactions: Nanuuk

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
I'd agree if I thought we would get a better top line group of players but I've been through a Flames rebuild before and we can't/won't/don't complete the rebuild before we push for the playoffs

I think being unlucky with players panning out hurt us more than ending the rebuild early after the surprise 2015 playoffs. The rebuild from an asset perspective was fine: 6th OVA in 2013 (not to mention the two late 1sts as well), 4th OVA in 2014, 6th OVA in 2016 and the boatload of high second round picks. Whether it comes down to drafting or poor development, but the only realy elite talent to show for it is Tkachuk out of the draft. Wasted picks on guys like Smith and MacDonald, on top of players like Bennett, Klimchuk, Poirier and Parsons never panning out here hurt us more in the end. So I think my issue with a rebuild is not being able to utilize our picks and assets effectively if we go through one again.

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
And this one would probably not be any different, but it is undeniable how good the 2023 draft looks for any bottom finishing club.
It's just hard to think about moving him when we're competing, but it's also hard to think about losing him for nothing.

Losing him for nothing would be an absolute failure of this franchise yet again. When was the last time a team saw their only true franchise player walk away in free agency, Panarin and Tavares? At least those clubs had Dubois and Barzal at the time to replace them.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think being unlucky with players panning out hurt us more than ending the rebuild early after the surprise 2015 playoffs. The rebuild from an asset perspective was fine: 6th OVA in 2013 (not to mention the two late 1sts as well), 4th OVA in 2014, 6th OVA in 2016 and the boatload of high second round picks. Whether it comes down to drafting or poor development, but the only realy elite talent to show for it is Tkachuk out of the draft. Wasted picks on guys like Smith and MacDonald, on top of players like Bennett, Klimchuk, Poirier and Parsons never panning out here hurt us more in the end. So I think my issue with a rebuild is not being able to utilize our picks and assets effectively if we go through one again.

I don't think you can really claim being unlucky is what hurt us when the best player on the team was a 4th round pick, our 4th best winger is a 6th round pick, our best d pairing until 2 years ago was a undrafted player and a 4th round pick. We got "lucky" just much as we got "unlucky" but the fact remains we didn't develop/aquire enough high end talent to be more then a bubble team. If we get a new management group maybe the next rebuild will be different but as long as Tre is here I have 0 hope that it would be

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
I don't think you can really claim being unlucky is what hurt us when the best player on the team was a 4th round pick, our 4th best winger is a 6th round pick, our best d pairing until 2 years ago was a undrafted player and a 4th round pick. We got "lucky" just much as we got "unlucky" but the fact remains we didn't develop/aquire enough high end talent to be more then a bubble team. If we get a new management group maybe the next rebuild will be different but as long as Tre is here I have 0 hope that it would be

Agreed but those players were the legacies of previous GMs. From the so-called rebuild itself, so many assets not panning out for whatever reason is pretty poor luck for fans though and ultimately Brad is accountable. I definitely don't have faith in him leading us through any sort of re-tool or rebuild.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
TpYNqgi.jpg

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Let him walk imo. Hope for the best in the playoffs. Maybe he will be a mensch and do a sign and trade.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Since Johnny came into the league the Flames have scored 1,678 goals. Johnny has a point on 546 of them. That's a point on 33% (or roughly 1/3 for all you Math wizards out there) of every goal the entire hockey team has put in the net.

If he leaves we are going to be a tough watch. But at the same time might be best to start on a clean slate and draft high in 2023. I dunno don't see a ton of good options really.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The Flames identity doesn't change though they will be worse. They are the same type and group bunch of players. We can't even say they will get bigger because if he walk in comes Pelletier.

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
The only solace is that his first choice teams in Philly and NJ are both crap and nowhere near competing, and I don't think the Rangers or Bruins can give him the money he would want. He probably has a much better chance at competing here if he stays ... although it's a pitiful track record to date.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Reactions: Tofveve

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad