What is the best draft ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
what do you guys think is the best NHL draft ever? i think it was the 1990 entry draft with nolan, nedved, brodeur, etc.
Of course i would say the 2000 and on cant be evaulated properly yet but i would like to hear some comments......sidenote there is talk that last year's draft will be the best ever, agree/disagree???

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
1974 Steelers. Not a hockey team, but you got to give credit when you draft 4 hall of famers in the same draft w/ the potential to eventually be 5 or 6.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Alfie#11 said:
7 players with 1000th pts or more in 126 players drafted that's pretty good
Quebec and Edmonton had a good daft

Quebec Anton Stastny Dale Hunter and Michel Goulet
Edmonton Glen Anderson Mark Messier and Kevin Lowe

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
2003 will go down as one of the better drafts ever. Trying to compare by total points in a career is impossible since the 79 draft got to play in 80's and early 90's.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I suspect Jason will be right. 2003 could be one of the best. Lots of nice players, and there's depth and quality at a level rarely seen.

X0ssbar

I vote 1990. 2003 will be interesting to follow and has some serious potential.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Patty Ice XXX said:
I see alot of 90 and 03 which i agree with...but lets see some love for 98. I think that was a great draft.

Yeah, 98 was very good. Will be even better if Brad Stuart becomes the player I think he can be.

Not a fan of Legwand but he's still not bad at all.

A lot of people like to get on Tanguay's case (although the simpletons whining about the leeching have been quiet this year) but everybody's got to admit that selecting such a guy with the 12th pick overall in a draft is a good thing!

Then you've got guys like Gomez, Regehr, Kalinin and SO many others.

I think people got a bit down on this draft starting in 2000 because many of the top players was experiencing some problems. Take the top 4 for instance: Allen took a long time, Lecavalier was hailed as some sort of Next One and then was caught in all sorts of internal team conflicts. After a great first season, Stuart experienced some slight problems until this year and Legwand was ok but not great which may have disappointed some.

But there is a huge quality crop there. It's just that this is one of those drafts where terribly gifted players went through ups and downs. For instance Vishnevski started with a bang but has not developed much since.

A roller coaster draft but a very good one.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Vlad The Impaler said:
Yeah, 98 was very good. Will be even better if Brad Stuart becomes the player I think he can be.

Not a fan of Legwand but he's still not bad at all.

A lot of people like to get on Tanguay's case (although the simpletons whining about the leeching have been quiet this year) but everybody's got to admit that selecting such a guy with the 12th pick overall in a draft is a good thing!

Then you've got guys like Gomez, Regehr, Kalinin and SO many others.

I think people got a bit down on this draft starting in 2000 because many of the top players was experiencing some problems. Take the top 4 for instance: Allen took a long time, Lecavalier was hailed as some sort of Next One and then was caught in all sorts of internal team conflicts. After a great first season, Stuart experienced some slight problems until this year and Legwand was ok but not great which may have disappointed some.

But there is a huge quality crop there. It's just that this is one of those drafts where terribly gifted players went through ups and downs. For instance Vishnevski started with a bang but has not developed much since.

A roller coaster draft but a very good one.

Not to mention many of those in the later rounds didn't start producing until the last year or so(Cheechoo, Ryder, Hunter, Raycroft, Kotalik) but man when Richards is drafted in the 3rd :D Its always been one of my favorites.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
How about 1999?
My vote gets 2003, because of what I think of the talent and potential that is/was in that draft.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
2003 will go down as one of the better drafts ever. Trying to compare by total points in a career is impossible since the 79 draft got to play in 80's and early 90's.

Even if you leave out point totals - the '79 draft contained some amazing players.

Bourque and Messier are two of the best players ever. If you look at the 1990s drafts, maybe Jagr, Lindros (if he was healthy) and Pronger belong anywhere near that class.

Then you just run through the names - Anderson, Goulet, Naslund, Propp, Broten, Steen, Vaive....there were just so many impact players that dominated the league for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad