What is so good about Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What isn't good about him?

Big. Strong. Quick. Skilled.

Don't pay attention to stats in the RSL. It's the second best league in the world and rather low-scoring. And I don't think they hand out 2nd assists the way they do in NA.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Frolov said:
Can you imagine a mix of Forsberg, Fedorov, and Bertuzzi?
not quite there frolov!
He is comparable to Nolan in terms of his physical play. He can bang if he wants to but he doesn't conistently pound you like a Forseberg or Bert would. He is no as chippy as Forseberg either but he is still chippy.

He is big and can skate, has a good shot, good physical play and has a nack for offense. and in response to the thread, don't read into European stats to much, as they don't score at CHL paces and they don't always get top ice-time either.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
oh, yes, that too! I have a highlight of one such moment....I like players like that. Not that do cheap things, but I like players that care about winning. Ovechkin, so far, seems to fit that mold pretty well :)

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
attitude? mmmmm, no. He's way too cocky and he's wierd.
36 goals 73 points 20 years old

i dont give a poop!!! ill take his cocky wierd attitude over 90% of the nhl :yo:

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
Look at kovalchuk's +- ....:) I love to watch Kovalchuk, but to be a really great player it's better to have a good attitude as well. Kovalchuk isn't the next Wayne Gretzky.
Is that your response to everything, he isn't the next Gretzky?
I would hope we can be more cerebral then that. I am fully aware of his +/-, but it is not enough to deter me of such a great young talent. I've always wondered why the internet is so full of cynics but then I realized many are driven by jealousy and unfulfillment. I am sure if Kovalchuk was on your team, you would have no complaints. Kovalchuk isn't the next Gretzky, he is the first Kovalchuk, that is good enough for me.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
But we aren't talkin about talent here. We all know Kovy is awesome. But he has to get benched, and scratched for showing up late to practice...eee. Teams would rather have a disciplined player who also has the talent.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
But we aren't talkin about talent here. We all know Kovy is awesome. But he has to get benched, and scratched for showing up late to practice...eee.
One question for you, if given the option, would you want kovalchuk on your team? the alternative is to not have him on your team.

Teams would rather have a disciplined player who also has the talent.
It's not like teams can pick or chose who they want.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
If it's a choice between Kovy and no Kovy, I'll take Kovy, but if it's a choice between Kovy and Ovy, long term I take Ovy every time.
i meant kovy or no kovy and you just gave me the response everyone that knows the game would give.. people dont have choices between stars.. you get what you get and kovalchuk would not be anything to complain about!

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Back to the subject.

In a word, everything.

The kid is a great skater, has a brilliant shot, a good playmaker, mucks it up, solid defensively, supposedly has a great mind, a potential captain...

Thinking about him wearing black and gold makes me drool.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'd take Kovalchuk over Ovechkin because Kovalchuk has shown that he can put up 70 or 80 points and 35 or 40 goals in the NHL, versus Ovechkin who hasn't played the game.

That's just common sense to me, not negative to Ovechkin in any way, he has yet to have a chance to prove himself.

In regards to the original question, this I guess is hard to explain to people. I just always tell myself (and sometimes others) that the scouts know what they're doing, and especially when they agree totally about every aspect of a player's game, which seems to be the case with Ovechkin.

Guess most of us who haven't seen him or seen him that much will find out once he plays in the NHL, whenever that may be. :dunno:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well, I too would take the proven commodity too, but we're not going to get Ilya now are we?

If you erased Kovalchuk's career and put him in the same draft as Ovechkin, I'd take Ovechkin on potential alone.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Ovechkin's game is so much more polished then Kovalchuk's game comming into the draft. Ovechkin is a fast Forsberg IMO who scores instead of passes.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Nah, I don't think Forsberg is the right comparison. I'm a Forsberg fan and I just don't think they play quite that much like eachother. I'd compare Ovechkin more to a rounded out Kovalchuk or maybe a bit like Thornton. Ovechkin and Forsberg are a bit different. Forsberg's game is mostly playmaking and creating scoring chances. Ovechkin can do that too but Ovechkin has more emphasis on scoring than Forsberg does. There is no question Forsberg can score but he has said himself over and over that he would rather set up a teammate than score himself. They both have a bit of a mean streak. They both love to play physical. Ovechkin seems to have a bit more passion for scoring. Forsberg likes to set up his teammates more than score. Just look at Ovechkin's goal celebrations and you'll see what I mean. Ovechkin can skate and he doesn't seem to be as injury-prone as Forsberg is. They are like eachother in some ways but a little different in others. I think a mature Kovalchuk would be a closer comparison.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Foppa_Rules said:
Nah, I don't think Forsberg is the right comparison. I'm a Forsberg fan and I just don't think they play quite that much like eachother. I'd compare Ovechkin more to a rounded out Kovalchuk or maybe a bit like Thornton. Ovechkin and Forsberg are a bit different. Forsberg's game is mostly playmaking and creating scoring chances. Ovechkin can do that too but Ovechkin has more emphasis on scoring than Forsberg does. There is no question Forsberg can score but he has said himself over and over that he would rather set up a teammate than score himself. They both have a bit of a mean streak. They both love to play physical. Ovechkin seems to have a bit more passion for scoring. Forsberg likes to set up his teammates more than score. Just look at Ovechkin's goal celebrations and you'll see what I mean. Ovechkin can skate and he doesn't seem to be as injury-prone as Forsberg is. They are like eachother in some ways but a little different in others. I think a mature Kovalchuk would be a closer comparison.
Did you even read my full post....you just copied everything I said basicly. Did you even see Ovechkin play yet?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I never said anything about this but it amazes me how people claim to know everything about Ovechkin ? I didn't know you can see RSL hockey in North-America.

Frolov 6'3 said:
I never said anything about this but it amazes me how people claim to know everything about Ovechkin ? I didn't know you can see RSL hockey in North-America.

There are some that can. I know of one guy who frequents the boards here that has tapes shipped to him from all over the world.

As a minor technicality, viewers in Canada were able to watch Yaroslavl at the Spengler Cup, although it's not COMPLETELY RSL. There was the WJC's too, although that was about 8 games.

But I'll agree with you in the majority. I doubt that there are that many people out there that have seen Ovechkin play on a regular basis (but it wouldn't surprise me if MacIsaac has).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad