What is Peyton Krebs?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Obviously, this can be merged if needed.

I was chatting with my friend the other day, and we honestly couldn't figure out where Krebs is going. He came in looking like he could pattern his playmaking from the wing like MItch Marner. Had a clutch game or two last season (the outdoor game comes to mind). He popped in and out of the lineup, was put at center, at wing, top-6, bottom 6.

He is now on the PK and seems to be a formidable fore-checker. He gets out there in OT. He's sent out to help close out a game. I did not see any of this coming. Where is his game going, and whom do you liken him to?

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I agree, his development has been really surprising. He is feisty, learning fundamentals, and playing smart…and has a lot of skill. Seems like a dream bottom six center?

Has the skills to center a scoring line…with the energy of scrapper
Agree with this so far, dream 3C that can move up and keep up in the event of injuries. I missed the game yesterday but he’s pretty been impressive lately. He still looks pretty skinny out there, I think he’ll be a force in a couple years after some hard work in the gym.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
He probably leads the team in hits 🤣 (I'm only half joking). He's an enigma, I don't know where his ceiling is but I think he can raise his floor to a lot more than it is now. He has a decent two way game, I think he is benefiting from playing with the leaders/experienced guys but I wonder how he would do with more skilled linemates. No offense to Okposo and Girgensons.

I honestly don't know what to expect from him or where he will carve out his career but I think he's moving forward more than taking steps back.

He's not a liability like he was last year when on the ice.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I don't think he will be on the level of Cirelli, but seeing him develop as a 3C with a solid defense, forecheck, a bit of rat and also the ability to put up 50 points would be awesome.

He's doing the first 3 right now, just want to see his offensive game grow. Which I think will come with time and him filling out. I think he's been our best young player not named Owen Power the last 2 months.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He probably leads the team in hits 🤣 (I'm only half joking). He's an enigma, I don't know where his ceiling is but I think he can raise his floor to a lot more than it is now. He has a decent two way game, I think he is benefiting from playing with the leaders/experienced guys but I wonder how he would do with more skilled linemates. No offense to Okposo and Girgensons.

I honestly don't know what to expect from him or where he will carve out his career but I think he's moving forward more than taking steps back.

He's not a liability like he was last year when on the ice.
I saw this the other day, he's actually tied with Okposo for 2nd among forwards with 47. Girgensons has 53. The defensemen above him: Dahlin 66, Samuelsson 62, Boosh 61.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
I think 3C. The kid already had play making ability but he has really improved his defensive play. Love that he is adding the grinder/pest element to his arsenal. I really looks like he can be a good two way complete player.

Can you imagine a long term center spine of..

Thompson
Cozens
Krebs
Jost

With how Cozens and Krebs are developing and how Jost has fit in, I LOVE the potential of the center spine!

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The earlier a high end prospect embraces a role they may have not pictured themselves in, the better sign it is that they will become excellent in that role. I think it's a very good sign for Krebs projection how much he's really bought in and he works hard enough to where I think it'll really pay off.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Part of me says he won't be here long term... part of me disagrees. I think he is big part of the lockerroom.
I just think young guys will push him out.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seeing him figure out how to play the NHL game in a way that is conducive to winning hockey has been excellent. And that he's embracing what they're asking him to do, the glee with which he is playing? That's some stuff to inject into fans veins.

Cirelli-ish or Gourde-ish perhaps - high-energy and mostly very good at the role he is filling. He's not infallible, but it does seem that he gets it when he makes a mistake, takes it personally to make amends, and then makes it a contest of wills to make it right. Infectious energy seems like the intangible he brings the most.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
And to answer the question, I do think he is looking like that really good 3C on a contender type of guy who can also play anywhere in the lineup at C or W. He is a tenacious and effective forechecker who gets physical and chippy, while also having really strong passing skills with an improving shot. So, wherever he ends up I think most would agree at this point that he's going to be an important player for us.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Middle 6, potential top 6, playmaking/tenacious center, with defensive acumen, and locker room leader who cares.

Ceiling: Mike Richards
Floor: something around Dave Bolland

Part of the young core.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
See him as an important piece to be able to roll 4 lines in the future. Pesky, tenacious, hardworking and skilled buzzsaw type of center that plays with heart smart player too. Think we see his offense come along as he gets stronger as he isn't able to always be strong on the puck but his willingness to get to the hard areas and fight for the puck along the boards is encouraging just needs time at the gym and more experience as he is a very smart player and seems to be learning quicker as the season goes his physical limitations currently hold his execution back but all signs point to him figuring it out as he is finding ways to be an effective nhler.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Obviously, this can be merged if needed.

I was chatting with my friend the other day, and we honestly couldn't figure out where Krebs is going. He came in looking like he could pattern his playmaking from the wing like MItch Marner. Had a clutch game or two last season (the outdoor game comes to mind). He popped in and out of the lineup, was put at center, at wing, top-6, bottom 6.

He is now on the PK and seems to be a formidable fore-checker. He gets out there in OT. He's sent out to help close out a game. I did not see any of this coming. Where is his game going, and whom do you liken him to?

He doesn’t close out games nor does he PK. Last night was an anomaly with Cozens out and some guys out of gas. Normally Krebs doesn’t play on PK or PP and is sitting next to Peterka/Quinn late in games. I’m not dumping on him, just painting a more accurate picture.

Krebs started the season trying to future it out so he could stay the lineup. Then got a chance centering Girgs/Okoposo. Which was the best thing for him. He‘s learned from them how to be a NHL regular and has developed his game to fit his role. Its been awesome to see.

At the moment he’s an effective bottom 6 center not being asked to contribute much elsewhere. Thats largely due to Granato wanting him to focus on developing his game as a center.

What he will be down the road is hard to say. He‘s young and definitely has an a lot potential upside. I’ve always hoped if he could figure out his 5v5 game at center he would be great between Quinn/Peterka. Then Mitts would pair up with Cozens.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I don't think anything is etched in stone, but I think the Sabres long-term core is shaping up to be:

- Thompson, Cozens, Krebs as the top 3 centres
- Dahlin, Samuelsson, Power, Jokiharju as the top 4 D
- Luukkonen, Levi in net

At present Skinner and Tuch are core wingers. But we are building a large supply of forwards who can move into wing positions as players either age-out or price themselves out. That's what I think will happen. The core players I mention will be here for the next 6-8 years and we will shuffle through wingers, 4th liners and bottom pair D-men.

So, in response to the original question: Krebs is a core player, who will be our 3rd line centre by the end of next season and for the next 6-7 years after. With Thompson and Cozens he will give us the best centre depth in the league for more than 1/2 a decade.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I see Krebs having a ceiling of a prototypical checking center. He might not become that player but either way he'll probably be a 30-40 pt player depending on his linemates. His floor is as a worthy trade piece in a big trade.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Middle 6, potential top 6, playmaking/tenacious center, with defensive acumen, and locker room leader who cares.

Ceiling: Mike Richards
Floor: something around Dave Bolland

Part of the young core.
I'm not sure his skillset matches Bolland but the comparison kinda gives me vibes of what could be with this team. Chicago was great because of Kane and Toews but they won because of Bolland and moreso Kruger and Krebs gives me those bottom line center vibes.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I should add that I have him as a 3rd line centre only because Thompson and Cozens are ahead of him. He will he a 3rd line centre who kills penalties, plays the PP, plays late in close games, plays OT and who easily fills in in the top 6 when injuries require.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
He doesn’t close out games nor does he PK. Last night was an anomaly with Cozens out and some guys out of gas. Normally Krebs doesn’t play on PK or PP and is sitting next to Peterka/Quinn late in games. I’m not dumping on him, just painting a more accurate picture.

Krebs started the season trying to future it out so he could stay the lineup. Then got a chance centering Girgs/Okoposo. Which was the best thing for him. He‘s learned from them how to be a NHL regular and has developed his game to fit his role. Its been awesome to see.

At the moment he’s an effective bottom 6 center not being asked to contribute much elsewhere. Thats largely due to Granato wanting him to focus on developing his game as a center.

What he will be down the road is hard to say. He‘s young and definitely has an a lot potential upside. I’ve always hoped if he could figure out his 5v5 game at center he would be great between Quinn/Peterka. Then Mitts would pair up with Cozens.
I also thought he was a bit overhelmed in OT;

hm my guess is they re trying to erase his bad habits, before going into a more offensive role

Reactions: joshjull

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
3C on a line of Quinn - Krebs - Peterka next year
I was hoping to see some of this combination this year. By December I wanted to send all three to Rochester to play together for 10 ish games and see if they could gel under less pressure. It makes sense to let them grow together, but not until they are individually ready to play in the NHL. Playing with veterans that are reliable helps them learn the NHL game better. Once they do that then they can play together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad