Speculation: What Is Needed for a Cup Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Simple what do the Rangers need for another cup run with a different ending...
I would assume a Top nine forward and a bottom pairing defense man. **assuming obviously we resign Staal, because why shouldn't we resign him.**

Seeker would be a good add
and i feel like another bottom 6 center with veteran experience in case the playoffs arrive and Hayes sh*** the bed

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
A two way defenseman and maybe a bottom 6 defensive forward.

I really like the team right now.

I would say a PP QB defenseman. Boyle has been underwhelming.

Our PP is 10th in the league and Boyle has 5 points in the last 5 games.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
honestly nash not sucking would have been enough last year. this team has enough as it is this year, just a matter of them playing up to it, that's the biggest question mark, as with any good team.

Choice

Nov 21, 2004
nyc
A two way defenseman and maybe a bottom 6 defensive forward.

I really like the team right now.

Our PP is 10th in the league and Boyle has 5 points in the last 5 games.

He has been good on this streak, just not for the whole season (I know he was hurt) but hoping he can keep this up.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
I'd say a defenseman not named Roman Hamrlik to replace John Moore. I like the way Hunwick has been playing but you never know when the old Hunwick is going to come out.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Definitely a better #6 LHD. Probably a veteran, solid stay-at-home guy to accompany KK.

Maybe a 3C? Hayes, a young kid, like other young kids who first come up in the league, don't win faceoffs. Faceoffs become more important in the playoffs and Hayes gets very sheltered zone starts (partly because of AV's coaching style but also because of Hayes' inexperience in winning draws; but a team leading 64.6% OZS) because of his inability to win draws. Vigneault does not want him taking defensive zone draws. This will put stress on your other centerman/lines having to take draws in Dzone/tough situations. Stanley cup winning teams are deep at center and able to roll 4 lines consistently, as well as without worry of sheltering their third line because of faceoff inadequacy.

Getting a guy like Vermette would take stress off Hayes taking draws and allow Vigneault to roll that line without worry and allow Hayes to utilize his full playmaking potential from the less defensively demanding wing position.

Stepan
Brassard
Vermette
Moore

is center depth that would make me really happy for a long, hopefully championship playoff run

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm just...sooooooooooo not interested in Vermette. Like at all.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Why not? I think he's the exact type of player we should be looking to pick up.

A lot of teams are interested in him, which will create a BS bidding war, one that we really don't have assets for, and he wants 6 million which means there's no real chance of re-signing him.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
If the Panthers aren't going to extend Bergenheim, he better come to Manhattan. He alone would make a huge difference.

We need at least one great digger, one or two guys that will win the boards battles. Bergy is the best upcoming UFA that stands out in springtime hockey.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
A LOT more interested in upgrading our D than any forward position.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
A few people, myself included, echoed the need for a steady bottom pair guy. Who could possibly be on the trade block to fill that #6 spot?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
While keeping Staal? Or using him in the trade? It would be nice to get Sekera and keep Staal.

Girardi-McD
Boyle-Staal
Klein-Sekera

Nobody can touch that defense

It would be nice but not realistic.

I have no problem with Staal walking as a UFA if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad