What is ESPN's problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Besides the fairly obvious reasons that they don't show enough hockey, why do they seem to not give a flying F about the sport? Look at the way they've worded the poll on the home page (still up at the moment)...

"Do you care that the NHL is expected to cancel the 2004-2005 season?"

Do you care?!

Just very disrespectful IMO. Could you EVER see an ESPN poll using the same question only substituting NHL for NBA, NFL, or MLB? I doubt it. I wish I lived in/near Canada to get more hockey, and get away from having to depend on ESPN.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Scugs said:
Its ok, you always have sportsnet.ca or tsn.ca

And me! :dunce:

Believe it or not all of those options are better than the alternative. :)

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Gurj said:
look at the results...

over 52,000 votes and 76% polled say they DON'T care... :eek:

Yeah and I forgot to mention... look at the main menu on the lefthand side of the screen where they put all the different sports. Somehow, tennis, women's college BB among others are placed higher than the NHL. :help:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
I think in a way they are trying to prove a point to the players.

Every poll is very similar to this. Yes, those of us who spend an ungodly amount of time on hockey message boards care, but other than that I dont think many people even realize there is no hockey.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
bladoww said:
Yeah and I forgot to mention... look at the main menu on the lefthand side of the screen where they put all the different sports. Somehow, tennis, women's college BB among others are placed higher than the NHL. :help:

That's because Womens College BB is cuttently being played and the NHL is not.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
bladoww said:
Besides the fairly obvious reasons that they don't show enough hockey, why do they seem to not give a flying F about the sport? Look at the way they've worded the poll on the home page (still up at the moment)...

Do you care?!

Just very disrespectful IMO. Could you EVER see an ESPN poll using the same question only substituting NHL for NBA, NFL, or MLB? I doubt it. I wish I lived in/near Canada to get more hockey, and get away from having to depend on ESPN.

well sure coming from a sports station that shows POKER games and DARTS as a form of entertainment. They have gone down hill in my eyes.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005

Understandable. But if that's the case MLB sure as hell doesn't deserve to be way up there.

Yeah darts, bowling, equestrians, whatever, hopscotch.... ESPN is definately crap most the times. Can't wait for A season to start - Center Ice package all the way. :)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
bladoww said:

Do you care?!

i dont see how it's disrespectful. they're asking a very straightforward question. i can almost guarantee that if the nba gets locked out next season you'll see a poll on espn on that.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:

Or maybe they list the sports based on how high their ESPN ratings are.

;)

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
bladoww said:
That is because of the lockout, if they were playing, it would be 3rd ahead of mlb atm, and after the probowl second only to the nba, but once spring training starts it would be 3rd again and mlb number 1.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I think the results of the poll answer all your questions. The general public in the States DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE NHL!

X0ssbar

What is ESPMTV's problem you ask? I'm not sure this site has enough storage space for me to answer that question in its entirety.. But to some it up in one word - BOOYAH! :shakehead

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Brewleaguer said:
well sure coming from a sports station that shows POKER games and DARTS as a form of entertainment. They have gone down hill in my eyes.

Unfortunately ESPN could have 10 random people playing poker, and it would get 10x the ratings the NHL does. Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see darts and billiards pulling in the same ratings as their hockey broadcasts.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
bladoww said:
Besides the fairly obvious reasons that they don't show enough hockey, why do they seem to not give a flying F about the sport?

Real simple: $$$$$$$$$$$$....

Or lack thereof.

Don't ever confuse ESPN with sports journalism. It is an entertainment network built purely on profitability. Crap sells to the masses. T.O. Randy Moss. Spree.

Hockey doesn't.

But it should really be no big deal to those of us who truly love the sport. The NHL gaining recognition and respectability on ESPN is akin to getting coverage on MTV. :joker:

Reilly311

ESPN doesn't need the NHL. The crap they are showing instead of hockey is getting higher ratings than hockey games. You could argue that TSN doesn't show enough basketball or baseball. TSN is no different than ESPN or any other sports network. They show what people will watch.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
bladoww said:
Understandable. But if that's the case MLB sure as hell doesn't deserve to be way up there.

More people care about MLB in the off-season than the NHL in-season.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Trottier said:
Real simple: $$$$$$$$$$$$....

Or lack thereof.

Don't ever confuse ESPN with sports journalism. It is an entertainment network built purely on profitability. Crap sells to the masses. T.O. Randy Moss. Spree.

Hockey doesn't.

But it should really be no big deal to those of us who truly love the sport. The NHL gaining recognition and respectability on ESPN is akin to getting coverage on MTV. :joker:
are you seriously saying espn isn't a credible media outlet?

Reilly311

no13matssundin said:
It isnt for hockey.

sure it is. They have the most money out of any sports network. They have the biggest coverage of sports in the world. Any insider is going to report to people who work within ESPN to get the news out. ESPN reports a lot of things that other networks never get.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
I guess my thinking is that if the NHL had more money go towards promotional areas, and ESPN ran an NHL ad as much as they run commercials for "TILT" then we'd be in business haha ;) .

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Top Shelf said:
What is ESPMTV's problem you ask? I'm not sure this site has enough storage space for me to answer that question in its entirety.. But to some it up in one word - BOOYAH!

BOOYAH!!!!!!!!! Oops, dere goes mah eyeball finally!!!!!!

:joker: :dunce: :lol :bow: :lol:

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
no13matssundin said:
It isnt for hockey.

Wanna know how?

6 letters:

ESPNHL.

Thats ridiculous. ESPN tried to pimp the NHL for many years. They showed like 5 games a week back in the mid 90's with ESPN2. They had nhl2night on every day. They showed all the playoff games. They TRIED hard to make the NHL work. Unfortunately, nobody watched so they gave up.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
ScottyBowman said:
Thats ridiculous. ESPN tried to pimp the NHL for many years. They showed like 5 games a week back in the mid 90's with ESPN2. They had nhl2night on every day. They showed all the playoff games. They TRIED hard to make the NHL work. Unfortunately, nobody watched so they gave up.

Whats ridiculous is that youre arguing that ESPN is a credible hockey source. Give your head a shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad