Music: What if you picked the Stones guitarist in 1975?

Elvis P

Lost in the supermarket 🛒
Dec 10, 2007
Goddamn Wrecks fan
distrokid.com

If you could get any of these guys to replace Mick Taylor for the Stones in 1975, who would you take and why?

1. Jimmy Page
2. Jeff Beck
3. Johnny Winter
4. Carlos Santana
5. Robin Trower
6. Alvin Lee
7. Rory Gallagher
8. Steve Miller

Last edited:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I assume you mean to replace Mick Taylor, not Keef. Ron Wood was the right choice. He was already playing Stones-type guitar in Faces and for Rod Stewart. Good combo of rhythm and lead.

That said maybe some good alternatives would be Paul Kossoff (gets a + for being English), Joe Walsh, or Buzz Feiten maybe Elvin Bishop (both from Butterfield Blues Band).

• Love
Reactions: Elvis P

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yeah, I can't believe the posters before you didn't realize that it's the year they brought Wood in. Why would anyone want to lose Keith?
Okay, then. To replace Mick Taylor, I would choose...wait for it....Mick Taylor. I thought he was great.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Okay, then. To replace Mick Taylor, I would choose...wait for it....Mick Taylor. I thought he was great.
so you're going to replace the guy with the same exact guy who quit the band? wtf man?

woody was the perfect replacement, especially for the material the stones were starting to write at the time.

but i would be curious to see how the stones would have sounded like if gallagher or winter took over.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
so you're going to replace the guy with the same exact guy who quit the band? wtf man?

woody was the perfect replacement, especially for the material the stones were starting to write at the time.

but i would be curious to see how the stones would have sounded like if gallagher or winter took over.
I'm totally incurious.

Taylor was great in his moment and then Ronnie was the perfect support for Keith. Even as a thought experiment, I wouldn't mess with history. With the Rolling Stones, the universe unfolded exactly as it should.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Ron Wood has been credited by many people for keeping the Stones together back in the mid-80s. He was the one trying to keep the group focused on their career when Keith and Mick were at each other's throats.

One may argue that it may not be positive thing, since their following albums weren't that great. But I'm sure fans who were lucky enough to see the Stones live anytime in the last 30 years are glad they didn't break up.

Reactions: Elvis P and kihei

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
That said maybe some good alternatives would be Paul Kossoff (gets a + for being English), Joe Walsh, or Buzz Feiten maybe Elvin Bishop (both from Butterfield Blues Band).
With hindsight, Kossoff would have been a disaster, though. Didn't he die like a year after Ronnie Wood joined the Stones (a drug-related death)?

Speaking of Wood, I agree with the notion that he was the best choice; someone like Jimmy Page would have been way too domineering (and it's not like he would have left LZ at this point). Beck wasn't a prolific songwriter, but it would have been hard for him to submit to Mick & Keef, I think. Santana would have been an interesting alternative.

Last edited:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
With hindsight, Kossoff would have been a disaster, though. Didn't he die like a year after Ronnie Wood joined the Stones (a drug-related death)?

Speaking of Wood, I agree with the notion that he was the best choice; someone like Jimmy Page would have been way too domineering (and it's not like he would have left LZ at this point). Beck wasn't a prolific songwriter, but it would have been hard for him to submit to Mick & Keef, I think. Santana would have been an interesting alternative.
Yes, but in 1975 he would have been a good candidate music and drug-wise. Mick Taylor left be because he couldn't keep up with the drug lifestyle. At least Black and Blue would be better.

Who knows what may have happened, Keef has said the only reason he didn't die was that he had the best quality drugs. Ronnie was no slouch in that dept either.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
black and blue is a great album. the stones also had 2 other guitar players that played on that album. i'm sure some of the songs might have would have sounded better with mick taylor soloing but i think of it as a tradeoff: no ron wood no hey negrita-cool badass song.

woody stuck as he could play. he kicked ass on those 75 and 78 tours. a very underrated player.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
black and blue is a great album. the stones also had 2 other guitar players that played on that album. i'm sure some of the songs might have would have sounded better with mick taylor soloing but i think of it as a tradeoff: no ron wood no hey negrita-cool badass song.

woody stuck as he could play. he kicked ass on those 75 and 78 tours. a very underrated player.
Maybe I need to revisit it, but I've always thought it was well short of their standard. To me the songs are half baked and generic.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Maybe I need to revisit it, but I've always thought it was well short of their standard. To me the songs are half baked and generic.
yeah all right i get it. i'm more likely than not in the minority. there are many many differing opinions amongst stones fans regarding which of their albums they consider great. i think exile is ehh people swear that's their greatest album. i think some girls is their best album some would say sticky fingers or exile instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad