What if the Rangers Do Not Make Another Significant Preseason Trade

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think there's a question of whether Gorton is looking to make a big trade for an established offensive defenseman (which would be difficult to do) or a lower key trade for an up and coming prospect that a team might be willing to part with for some forward help (which would seem more doable). I still imagine he's looking to get the team younger, so I'd lean towards him looking for those younger up and coming guys. Shattenkirk may be a desire but only if suddenly the right deal came along, and in the meantime they're looking for smaller trades.

If there's no trade? It definitely put some guys on the bubble pretty hard and makes for a confused lineup IMO. If Buch and Vesey are given as locks to at least make the opening day roster, the top 9 is pretty set and it leaves a whole mess of guys competing for the 4th line...Fast, Grabner, Jooris, Gerbe, Pirri being the legitimate NHLers doing so. Out of those 5, two being sent down who would it be? I'd guess Gerbe Jooris would be on the hotspot except that it doesn't leave a center, so for now Jooris would seem to be safe and Fast or Grabner on the hotseat, as I think they would want to keep Pirri in the lineup.

I type then and then think "well just keep them as the 13th forward" which is probably what would happen and you'd have guys rotate in for the first bit of the season until either a trade or a lineup is established.

With this many forwards a legit NHL player is going to get pushed out and it's a bit tough to make a decision on who you "want" to see sitting

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think I read where Zibanejad is excellent at shootouts as well--almost 50% for his career. With Pirri, Zuccarello and I suspect Buchnevich as other possibilities I think the Rangers are going to pick up a bunch of extra points that way.

Of the 16 forwards and I'm not including Jensen or Hrivik--the most likely to be waived and sent to Hartford IMO would be Gerbe and Glass. Lindberg starts the season on the injured list. That leaves:

1. Rick Nash
2. Derek Stepan
3. Chris Kreider
4. Mats Zuccarello
5. Mika Zinbanejad
6. JT Miller
7. Kevin Hayes
8. Jimmy Vesey
9. Pavel Buchnevich
10. Jesper Fast
11. Michael Grabner
12. Josh Jooris
13. Brandon Pirri
14. Oscar Lindberg--injury.

I don't see Pirri as 4th line material so much and I don't see him as necessarily an every day player. I'm kind of thinking Jooris is going to be the 4th line C and he Grabner and Fast are all going to be go to penalty killing forwards. Vesey, Buchnevich may sit now and again as they acclimatize early in the year. Pirri may also check in now and again for Jooris, Grabner and Fast but unless someone is injured 1-7 are the every day players and the others are all going to be doing musical chairs with one of them sitting every game and then when Lindberg does come back--maybe two. Pirri will help his case immensely if he can prove to be an effective point man on the power play.

I like it to be honest. Depth is a good thing and we're younger and we'll have several more guys from Hartford that could help us out this year.

Right now I don't know if there is a deal to be made for an RD. Trouba is the one I like the most but he's going to be very expensive to get. Barring that I would aim at a player like Montour. Someone young who can move the puck and who can help us on the power play and isn't too shabby in his own end. It's a lot to ask for.

Right now I think we have a pretty good team overall to enter the season with.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think there's a question of whether Gorton is looking to make a big trade for an established offensive defenseman (which would be difficult to do) or a lower key trade for an up and coming prospect that a team might be willing to part with for some forward help (which would seem more doable). I still imagine he's looking to get the team younger, so I'd lean towards him looking for those younger up and coming guys. Shattenkirk may be a desire but only if suddenly the right deal came along, and in the meantime they're looking for smaller trades.

If there's no trade? It definitely put some guys on the bubble pretty hard and makes for a confused lineup IMO. If Buch and Vesey are given as locks to at least make the opening day roster, the top 9 is pretty set and it leaves a whole mess of guys competing for the 4th line...Fast, Grabner, Jooris, Gerbe, Pirri being the legitimate NHLers doing so. Out of those 5, two being sent down who would it be? I'd guess Gerbe Jooris would be on the hotspot except that it doesn't leave a center, so for now Jooris would seem to be safe and Fast or Grabner on the hotseat, as I think they would want to keep Pirri in the lineup.

I type then and then think "well just keep them as the 13th forward" which is probably what would happen and you'd have guys rotate in for the first bit of the season until either a trade or a lineup is established.

With this many forwards a legit NHL player is going to get pushed out and it's a bit tough to make a decision on who you "want" to see sitting

Grabner got a two year deal and is making $1.65 mil per. He's a great pk'er with tons of speed. I don't see him going to Hartford at all. Jooris another excellent pk'er--lots of energy and can play center--something we're a little short on. I think he's sticking too. The most obvious guys to me are Gerbe and Glass and Jensen and Hrivik go to Hartford too.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Grabner got a two year deal and is making $1.65 mil per. He's a great pk'er with tons of speed. I don't see him going to Hartford at all. Jooris another excellent pk'er--lots of energy and can play center--something we're a little short on. I think he's sticking too. The most obvious guys to me are Gerbe and Glass and Jensen and Hrivik go to Hartford too.

I agree, but someone's also gotta sit as the 13th forward with the way things currently are. Whether it's Fast, Grabner, Pirri, etc.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Pirri is the 13th forward at this point. Top 9 is probably set, Grabner, Fast, and Jooris is a potentially great 4th line with a lot of speed, good forechecking ability and really solid defense. And then Lindberg comes back in November.

I'd be somewhat surprised with no trade

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Pirri is the 13th forward at this point. Top 9 is probably set, Grabner, Fast, and Jooris is a potentially great 4th line with a lot of speed, good forechecking ability and really solid defense. And then Lindberg comes back in November.

I'd be somewhat surprised with no trade

Possibly though I doubt they signed Pirri to have him sit, I think they intend to use his shooting ability

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Just wait until the WCs and teams have players injured in that stupid tournament...they will be running to trade for Nash.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

I agree with this assessment. Gerbe, Glass, Jensen and Hrivik will likely be sent down.

Regarding another move, There are only a few guys who are absolutely untouchable. I think McD, Vesey, Buch, Z-jad and Kreider are those guys. I think Step's contract makes him not likely to be traded as does Staal and Girardi. Nash with retention could be possible and perhaps Zucc or JT along with Mcilrath and a pick goes to Win. for Trouba or another team for a top RHD.

I think the reason there is such a glut at forward is because a move is coming and it was important to shore things up for that ahead of time. I just hope that move isn't Shattenkirk because there seems to be some belief he will sign here anyway after the season so why give up the assets....unless we really think we can contend this season but how can that be, as we are currently built with Staal and Girardi still here?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
There's a few things at play here. Do they have no issue with sending a Gerbe or Jooris down and exposing them to waivers? If they do make a trade for a defenseman, someone has to go the other way on the back end too. Acquiring a defenseman without sending one out leaves you with McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Klein, Holden, Skjei, McIlrath, and the new defenseman. Remember, if McIlrath doesn't hit the magic number for games played after the season he becomes a UFA. Holden also meets the expansion criteria for players signed beyond next year to expose unless the Rangers plan on exposing Klein.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Miller - Zibanejad - Zuccarello
Vesey - Hayes - Buchnevich
Grabner - Jooris - Fast
Pirri/Gerbe/Jensen/Hrivik/Glass/ Lindberg on IR.

If I had to guess, assuming no moves, they carry 14 forwards to start the year with the extras being Pirri and Gerbe. They'll let it play out and see if anyone gets hurt and who impresses and who doesn't.

If Tanner Glass somehow makes the team and there isn't an absurd amount of injuries; everyone should be fired.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
There's a few things at play here. Do they have no issue with sending a Gerbe or Jooris down and exposing them to waivers? If they do make a trade for a defenseman, someone has to go the other way on the back end too. Acquiring a defenseman without sending one out leaves you with McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Klein, Holden, Skjei, McIlrath, and the new defenseman. Remember, if McIlrath doesn't hit the magic number for games played after the season he becomes a UFA. Holden also meets the expansion criteria for players signed beyond next year to expose unless the Rangers plan on exposing Klein.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Miller - Zibanejad - Zuccarello
Vesey - Hayes - Buchnevich
Grabner - Jooris - Fast
Pirri/Gerbe/Jensen/Hrivik/Glass/ Lindberg on IR.

If I had to guess, assuming no moves, they carry 14 forwards to start the year with the extras being Pirri and Gerbe. They'll let it play out and see if anyone gets hurt and who impresses and who doesn't.

If Tanner Glass somehow makes the team and there isn't an absurd amount of injuries; everyone should be fired.

logically speaking, Klein and Mcilrath are going to be exposed to the expansion draft, unless Gorton can convince Staal and Girardi to waive their NMC's for the betterment of the team to protect the younger guys or threaten them with a buyout, G especially. I think that makes both Klein and Mcilrath prime to being part of any deal for a defenseman coming in but I would think Klein would be coveted more by NYR because he is the best RHD we have at the moment.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I'd be surprised if we do not make a move for a top-4 puck moving defense men is a must

If not I wish we could look to deal Hank and Nash and just roll out the youth and stack up lottery picks over the next year or two.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
logically speaking, Klein and Mcilrath are going to be exposed to the expansion draft, unless Gorton can convince Staal and Girardi to waive their NMC's for the betterment of the team to protect the younger guys or threaten them with a buyout, G especially. I think that makes both Klein and Mcilrath prime to being part of any deal for a defenseman coming in but I would think Klein would be coveted more by NYR because he is the best RHD we have at the moment.

As it currently stands, both would be exposed. I guess it comes down to are they fine with losing either of them for nothing? They've put tons of work into McIlrath and Klein is currently their best RHD. A lot depends on what happens this upcoming season of course but I'm sure they have scenarios outlined accounting for everything.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Pirri probably stays in for the PP and SO. May be a 4th liner.

Lindberg is out to start the season.

Butcher may start in the AHL.

Glass, Hrivik, Jensen also go down.

Now whats left are

1. Nash
2. MZA
3. Stepan
4. Mika
5. Kreider
6. Miller
7. Hayes
8. Vesey
9. Grabner
10. Fast
11. Pirri
12. Jooris
13. Gerbe

To be honest, this is not a huge overload, it's exactly what the team needs. Eventually Lindberg returns and Butcher gets called up. By then, there will be other injuries, one or more of the vets will prove useless, etc. Every offseason the fans think their team has tremendous depth because they assume that all the vets will be just as good as before and all the rookies will take a step forward and seamlessly make the NHL. It never happens.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Great read Leslie. But the bigger question is what will we all do when tanner glass is still one of our 23 who makes the team lol

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The problem with acquiring a defenseman without first sending away Staal and Girardi is that you'll be forced to expose him to Vegas.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Forget about the term and money these NMC's are just plain killers!!! I would be ok with keeping staal and G if no one wants them but to not be able to expose them and have to expose Klein or mcilrath is just horrible. Thanks slats

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Zero chance if they wanted to buy him out it would have been done. Next buyout window is june

...if they acquire a young RHD now or during some point in the season, I could definitely see Girardi being bought out or LTIR'd before the expansion draft. The window will open up before it happens.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
...if they acquire a young RHD now or during some point in the season, I could definitely see Girardi being bought out or LTIR'd before the expansion draft. The window will open up before it happens.

true but that buyout wouldn't be until after this season

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The problem with acquiring a defenseman without first sending away Staal and Girardi is that you'll be forced to expose him to Vegas.

Well, I'd guess if we picked up a top RHD, Girardi is getting bought out.

IMHO, wrong conclusion. It is more (very) likely that Klein will be gone. Healthy Girardi, McI or Skjei will take a 2nd pair spot on the right side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad