What if PK Told GMRF that he could spend $5 million more next year

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
As I was looking at salaries and what we spent on players this year as well as what we're going to have next year to spend, I got to thinking....what if Peter Karmanos opened up the wallet a wee bit....like $5 million more. Sure it's likely a pipe dream but thinking about it gave me some pretty crazy thoughts.

Here's what I was thinking:

We resign Eric Staal for $26 million over 4 years.
We sign Victor Rask to a bridge deal of $5 million over 2 years.
We sign Sebastian Aho to an ELC for 3 years @ $925,000 per year
We sign Nordstrom for $1.7 million over 2 years
We resign Cam Ward for $6 million over 2 years
We resign Brad Malone for 1 year at $700,000
Trevor Carrick makes the big club on a two-way paying him $625,000 per year
Phil Di Giuseppe starts the year in Raleigh on his existing two-way paying him $817,500 per year

With all the existing contracts plus these transactions the Canes would have 20 players under contract for around $51,081,500.

So what if GMRF had the green light to spend to $68 million? That's about $17 million for two players. What would you do?

I know what I'd do....I'd try to sign Andrew Ladd to a 4 year deal at Jeff Skinner money ($5.75 million per year). But more importantly, I wonder if you could entice Steven Stamkos to Carolina with an 8 year, $92 million deal?

Total salary = $68.33 million or a shade over $5 million more than we spent this year.

You could run lines of:

Ladd/Stamkos/Lindholm
EStaal/JStaal/Aho
Skinner/Rask/Di Giuseppe
Nestrasil/McClement/Malone
Nordstrom

Defensive pairings would be:

Hainsey/Faulk
Hanifin/Wisniewski
Slavin/Pesce
Carrick

In the net:

Ward
Lack

I believe that's a team that could put the biscuit in the basket AND do a pretty good job of keeping it out of our basket.

Would Ladd and Stamkos sign deals like that or are they both getting more money and in Ladd's case more term? Could Ronnie sell the dream?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
A guy who lost $11 million last year probably doesn't see $5 million more as a "wee bit."

Unfortunately.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As I was looking at salaries and what we spent on players this year as well as what we're going to have next year to spend, I got to thinking....what if Peter Karmanos opened up the wallet a wee bit....like $5 million more. Sure it's likely a pipe dream but thinking about it gave me some pretty crazy thoughts.

Here's what I was thinking:

We resign Eric Staal for $26 million over 4 years.
We sign Victor Rask to a bridge deal of $5 million over 2 years.
We sign Sebastian Aho to an ELC for 3 years @ $925,000 per year
We sign Nordstrom for $1.7 million over 2 years
We resign Cam Ward for $6 million over 2 years
We resign Brad Malone for 1 year at $700,000
Trevor Carrick makes the big club on a two-way paying him $625,000 per year
Phil Di Giuseppe starts the year in Raleigh on his existing two-way paying him $817,500 per year

With all the existing contracts plus these transactions the Canes would have 20 players under contract for around $51,081,500.

Are you including Semin's buyout in that number? According to General Fanager, the Canes are at $38M next year excluding any RFAs or UFA signings. Adding in what you listed above, I come up with almost $53M (cap hit).

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Doubt we sniff Stamkos. Maybe an outside shot at Ladd with history here, but doubt that contract gets it done regardless.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Are you including Semin's buyout in that number? According to General Fanager, the Canes are at $38M next year excluding any RFAs or UFA signings. Adding in what you listed above, I come up with almost $53M (cap hit).

Yup you're right, brain cramp.

However, if you decided not to resign Ward and signed Altshuller instead based on some sort of audition, you'd deduct Ward's $3 million, add it the buyout ($2.333 million) plus Altshullers salary ($728,333) and you end up with about $161,000 more or basically $68.5 million as opposed to $68.1.

My question was based in the fantasy that Stamkos and Ladd would sign here AND that we could sign them for the amounts suggested. The debate is about those two things. For the purposes of this thread, I'm assuming that GMRF convinced PK to open up the purse.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
For how Francis is trying to build this team for the long-term in a specific style of play from the back-end out through the draft and trades...

I suspect it would go unused.

Not only isn't Carolina a major UFA destination, I am doubtful that Francis has any interest in making offers for top UFAs or even prominent ones--nor in paying the compensation to sign RFAs. The evidence suggests that as a rule UFAs get overpaid compared to their performance. FA is a tool he clearly only uses to bargain-bin shop for good value on supporting pieces...like McClement.

Methodical and steady is the right way to rebuild. What use is $5M more since you can't pay cash to buy more draft picks and the league frowns on cash-included trades?

(This factors in that the Canes already have enough salary coming off the books to pretty much do anything Francis wants, without an increase...short of resigning Staal at the same over-payment he gets now while trying to buy our way into contention in FA. <<Something Francis is not going to do.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad