What if coaches could be traded just like players? :-)

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Xmas break topic....

So, what if coaches could be traded as well as players? Which teams might both be better if they traded coaches?

Edit: The "if" has been answered that yes in fact they can and have been. There still remains the second question.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Wasnt Mike Keenan traded from NYR to STL circa 1995?

edit: nevermind, Bettman awarded the Rangers compensation for Keenan leaving NYR with 4 years left on his contract.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/25/sports/hockey-rangers-acquire-nedved-in-the-keenan-dispute.html

The multipart decision by National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman lets Keenan go to the Blues as coach and general manager. In compensation for Keenan leaving with four years left on his contract, Bettman approved the Blues' trade of Petr Nedved to the Rangers for Esa Tikkanen and Doug Lidster.

so sort of a trade

Last edited:

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
Ozzie Guillen was traded from the White Sox to the Marlins a couple years ago.

John Fareel was traded from the Blue Js to the Red Sux

Doc Rivers was traded from the Cetics to the Clippers

So this does happen in other sports, but not offten

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Xmas break topic....

So, what if coaches could be traded as well as players? Which teams might both be better if they could trade coaches?

you can

Officially Mike Keenen and Michael Bergereon have been traded

the flaw in your statement is that you think coaches can not be traded=--they can

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Trades can happen. They are rare

Last coach trade in big 4 sports I recall was Gruden to TB

John Farrell from the Jays to the Red Sox is a recent one. Doc Rivers to the Clippers as well. Clippers weren't allowed to trade with the Celtics for the rest of that offseason, so instead, the Celtics traded Garnett and Pierce to Brooklyn.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
like others have mentioned, this just happened a couple offseasons ago with torts and vigneault and has happened multiple times in other sports

john farrell from toronto to boston
doc rivers from boston to LA
jon gruden from oakland to TB

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
OK, OK, several of you have made the point that they can in fact be traded. Still, a fairly rare thing that I imagine many didn't know.

That said, it still doesn't answer the second part of my question which is: Are there any coaches who if traded today could potentially make both teams better?

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
OK, OK, several of you have made the point that they can in fact be traded. Still, a fairly rare thing that I imagine many didn't know.

That said, it still doesn't answer the second part of my question which is: Are there any coaches who if traded today could potentially make both teams better?

I don't know why someone would assume coaches couldn't be traded (or any team asset for that matter).

Back in the day coaches and players got traded for nonsense like nets, equipment and other weird items.

As far as the answer to your other question - that's why coaches are hardly traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad