What have been the biggest black marks on Hockey?

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
it's only the major face in north america

and i think that's a bit of a stretch.

Would you not say that even in the United states that the EPL or Seirra A aren't the major faces of Futball? It's the top league all the best players want to player here (for the most part) no league compares to the level of skill displayed in the NHL. I would say it's the face of hockey in the world not just the united states. The NHL is broadcast in every hockey market in the world.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
What about Nashville, Miami, Anaheim, Phoenix, Raleigh-Durham ? Quebec and Winnipeg deserves a team way before any of these cities.

if memory serves correct, Quebec and Winnipeg DID have teams before any of these markets....So if these markets deserve teams so much, why did they lose the ones they had?

But back to the topic.....I'd have to say the Bertuzzi incident would have to be the biggest black mark in the modern era, with Nagano being a close second. In the old game....What about the Ace Bailey incident...

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
HM: Suter's hit on Kariya in the Olympics, McSorley/Brashear, 1987 WJC Canada-Russia

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
I fail to see how a puck with a little blue hue on it that 7 out of 10 people liked was a "black mark". A joke? Yes. Laughable? Yes. But a "black mark", no. Theres been Eagleson, theres been the Bertuzzi incident, McSorley, Simon, multiple lockouts, and some of you are suggesting that the glowpuck is the BIGGEST blackmark in NHL HISTORY?

Last edited:

PunjabiOil*

Graham James. Not saying the others weren't black marks, but this one takes the cake.

Just a shameful act. It makes me cringe everytime I think about it.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Would you not say that even in the United states that the EPL or Seirra A aren't the major faces of Futball? It's the top league all the best players want to player here (for the most part) no league compares to the level of skill displayed in the NHL. I would say it's the face of hockey in the world not just the united states. The NHL is broadcast in every hockey market in the world.

From what I read from European posters here and on other forums, the NHL is given little consideration.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=375349

And when I think Futbol or Football I think kids in Brazil playing with a ball of plastic bags tied together. But that's probably mostly me. In any case, when a footballer does something stupid like getting caught abusing drugs or something over in England or Italy or Spain, I don't think "boy, soccer must be a pretty stupid sport".

And besides, I could quite as easily argue that the strong patriotic feelings Canadians have towards hoceky is a positive reflection on the sport rather than any black mark.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Beat me to it. Bertuzzi might have made waves around here, but the American teams conduct in the Olympic Village in Nagano was an international story that still comes up every Olympics.
coming back to this, it might not be accurate to call this a black eye as it doesn't get as much attention as on ice violence. However, it's a pulled hamstring on hockey.

Team USA being at the peak of talent in '96 on the team had the opportunity to bring up the stature of hockey in the states but end up squandering that talent. i think the drunken showing at Nagano had a lot to do with there being no world cup in 2000 and by the time Team USA salvaged a silver in Salt Lake the sport was in a tailspin.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Harold Ballard. Not only for ruining a great franchise like the Leafs into the ground, but especially for the sex scandals that came to light at the Gardens after he was gone. He created the atmosphere that fostered what happened.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
International, whenever the "Our game" autofellatio gets going.
I have mixed feelings about this. There is a balance that must be struck between having pride in your national sport, managing it the right way and growing it, expanding it, letting other people have it and make it better. I don't know what that balance is, but I know that "it's our game, the end" is the wrong answer.

Back to the original post, you're really asking two questions.

Senseless violent assault on the ice (McSorely / Brashear is my favorite) has given hockey a bad name.

But the biggest black mark on hockey is Arturs Irbe's gear.

I mean Jesus ...

irbe.jpg

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
I have mixed feelings about this. There is a balance that must be struck between having pride in your national sport, managing it the right way and growing it, expanding it, letting other people have it and make it better. I don't know what that balance is, but I know that "it's our game, the end" is the wrong answer.

Back to the original post, you're really asking two questions.

Senseless violent assault on the ice (McSorely / Brashear is my favorite) has given hockey a bad name.

But the biggest black mark on hockey is Arturs Irbe's gear.

I mean Jesus ...

irbe.jpg

That gear is classic!!

Parrish

Apr 2, 2004
Decatur; Indiana
This may be a dumb question, but I've only watched hockey for 5 or so years now.

Who is Eagleson? . . . I have a feeling I souldnt have asked.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
This may be a dumb question, but I've only watched hockey for 5 or so years now.

Old player agent ... embezzled a lot of money, stole from player pension funds etc .. it all went down slowly throughout the 90's ... guy's a total scum bag.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Misconduct-Eagleson-Corruption-Hockey/dp/1551990180

Russ Conway of the Lawrence Eagle-Trubine exposed Eagleson as a backstabbing, greedy fraud who screwed the players he was paid to represent. Conway did a series in the newspaper and then wrote a book about it (see above link). It's a great read, and summarizes the end of what I call the "owners win" era in the NHL.

There was an earlier cover story in Sports illustrated about him, called "The Man Who Runs Hockey" or something like that. Worth reading if you can track it down.

hgo

Mar 21, 2004
Manhattan
Interesting that it's been 7 pages in this thread and there hasn't been a whiff of the Simon incident, which many of you were calling "worse than McSorley".

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
Eddie Shore hitting Ace Bailey
Matt Johnson ending Beukeboom's career
Tie Domi elbowing Scotty Niedermeyer in the head

And a question: how come everyone always mentions McSorley's hit on Brashear but very rarely does anyone mention Brad May hitting Steve Heinze? It was every bit as bad - worse in my honest opinion - but it gets about 1% of the attention or notoriety.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
In the US:

Canada winning the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics.

Pretty much solidified the notion that hockey isn't worthy of American attention and that it's just some goofy Canadian game.

I've asked people before why they don't like hockey. One of the common answers was: "It's a foreign sport."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad