Prospect Info: What happened to Timashov?

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
Guy was a rising star in junior hockey, both for Sweden and in Canada. I am surprised that he hasn't taken the next step yet.

Fun fact, William Nylander used to play with Kovac and Timashov when they were 15-16 years old. It was that line who wrecked Russia in U17.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
First professional season, playing mostly bottom six minutes and not given that many offensive opportunities due to the depth of the Marlies. Look for an increase in points this season, as he will probably become a fixture in the top six/nine group.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Nothing happened to him. He had the same type of season that Kapanen had couple years ago. When Timashov actually got good minutes last year, he was about PPG. Expect him to get a bigger role this season

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Guy was a rising star in junior hockey, both for Sweden and in Canada. I am surprised that he hasn't taken the next step yet.

Fun fact, William Nylander used to play with Kovac and Timashov when they were 15-16 years old. It was that line who wrecked Russia in U17.
He's a second year pro in the AHL and put up decent numbers for a player give a bottom 6 role last year.

What do you mean when you say "what happened to him"?

Leafsmann

Jan 4, 2016
Prospects who don't make the nhl immediately after a d+2 season - hf logic: "BUST!"

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
Prospects who don't make the nhl immediately after a d+2 season - hf logic: "BUST!"
He was the leading scorer for sweden at WJC when nylander went down. I didnt call him bust, just that I had higher expectations I guess. Is he playing any preseason games?

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Swing and a miss. Sorry, guys. Timashov and Kapanen are nearly the same age, and their post-draft development is not comparable.

I think injuries likely played a role, but that's exactly the thing that can in fact derail a young person's career.

He's not a write-off, yet, of course, but the chances that he becomes a top-6 NHLer at this point look pretty dim, and they have looked that way for a while.

He sure does seem to have a lot of tools, though, so I'm hoping he can overcome the odds.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He also suffered from not having good centers in the AHL last season, especially once Liepsic got hurt. He was decent in the 2nd half, especially once Kappy went up.

Leipsic was never a center, and the Marlies had good centers last year. We have just been spoiled by guys like Nylander being there that anything less than that is a disappointment, even though we probably had one of the better center groups in the league. Timashov's struggles were a combination of low usage (like Moore at the beginning of the year) and terrible play that did not warrant increased usage. Rookie mistakes as you would expect. He started playing better near the end, but his play had nothing to do with the quality of his line mates as much as the quality of his role and his lack of ability to excel in it (at the beginning).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Swing and a miss. Sorry, guys. Timashov and Kapanen are nearly the same age, and their post-draft development is not comparable.

I think injuries likely played a role, but that's exactly the thing that can in fact derail a young person's career.

He's not a write-off, yet, of course, but the chances that he becomes a top-6 NHLer at this point look pretty dim, and they have looked that way for a while.

He sure does seem to have a lot of tools, though, so I'm hoping he can overcome the odds.

Timashov has not had injury issues. He missed a few games in his last QMJHL season, but nothing too bad, and he did not miss any (or if he did, very few) games due to injury on the Marlies. He missed 10 games total, but many of that was due to rotation that naturally occurs with pretty much everyone in the AHL, regardless of skill.

The kid is not even 21 years old yet. We can not write him off of his potential yet. However, his high end potential was always top 9, not top 6, and the latter half of the year showed he's on his way to do that. He was one of the youngest guys in the AHL last year and was 57th in rookie scoring, and many of those rookies are a few years older than him.

This upcoming year will likely determine what we've got in him. He should get a consistent top 6/9 role with great line mates. He should get at least 0.75 PPG, and hopefully improves defensively as well, if he wants a shot at the NHL the year after.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He's a 5th round pick..
Not sure what the expectation was, but there's some people talking a little too highly of him. He's a potential 3rd liner at maximum ceiling..not good enough for top 6 and not enough grit/size for 4th line.

Don't hold your breath.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's how Keefe seems to be managing young players.

They play bottom 6 roles to allow them to learn the system, focus on their defensive games, etc

Bracco and Brooks will likely both get that this season, while Timashov will play a significant role (and as others mentioned, late into last season it started to happen already) and he'll shoot up the ranks again

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Ah, Nitro Mysterion. I think he got hyped up a bit around these parts due to that article.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
When the Marlies ran into injuries his production shot up, he was a near point per game in over 10 games played.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
He was picked in the 5th round for a reason. He's not an NHLer now, maybe never. He'll play more this year with Marlies likely, but the following year 2019/20 he will have to make some noise about being NHL ready or else he will not be offered a contract by the Leafs. Hey, I wish him well but if he a team gets three players from a draft each years that makes the NHL , they're doing well.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's how Keefe seems to be managing young players.

They play bottom 6 roles to allow them to learn the system, focus on their defensive games, etc

Bracco and Brooks will likely both get that this season, while Timashov will play a significant role (and as others mentioned, late into last season it started to happen already) and he'll shoot up the ranks again

Exactly.

Not worried about Timashov but I do expect to see some progression, especially if he gets a larger role.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
First professional season, playing mostly bottom six minutes and not given that many offensive opportunities due to the depth of the Marlies. Look for an increase in points this season, as he will probably become a fixture in the top six/nine group.

Which is the plan with every prosect, give them bottom line minutes make them prove they can play without the puck, anf when they do , start to pkay rhen in scoring lines.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He was terrible enough last year that I doubt he ever amounts to anything. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen to Bracco.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He's a 5th round pick who got drafted by an organization that is very deep at forward.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Why? Braccos development has been progressing at a pretty steady pace so far.

so did Timashov's.

Their style, skillset, production, and development has all been eerily similar so far, to be honest.

18yrs

Timo: 1.36ppg
Bracco: 1.31ppg

10yrs

Timo: 1.49ppg (1.96 with bad team, traded, 1.14 with good team, then 1.33 in playoffs)
Bracco: 1.46ppg (1.89 with bad team, traded, 1.07 with good team, then 1.18 in playoffs)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
so did Timashov's.

Their style, skillset, production, and development has all been eerily similar so far, to be honest.

18yrs

Timo: 1.36ppg
Bracco: 1.31ppg

10yrs

Timo: 1.49ppg (1.96 with bad team, traded, 1.14 with good team, then 1.33 in playoffs)
Bracco: 1.46ppg (1.89 with bad team, traded, 1.07 with good team, then 1.18 in playoffs)

Sure but players having similar production levels isn't of itself enough to suggest Bracco would regress like Tima, prior to last year there wasn't a lot of statistical indicators that he'd struggle as much as he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad