What happend with Semin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SopelFan*

Marcel the great! said:
i keep listening to people saying he has attitude problems, what happend, did he say or dosomething stupid.
He didn't *** over.

heh heh heh.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Not much actually.

The Washington Capitals expected him to come over and contribute on their top 2 lines but he elected to stay in RSL for an extra year and develop there (whilst making more money).

Therefore the Cap fans are all worried that he may never come over despite that Semin has said that he will come over one day.

Semin is playing in Russia and seemingly the Caps fans have their panties tied in a knot.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There's uncertainty. No one knows precisely what's happening with Semin. He returned to Russia to play during the lockout for the 2004-05 season. He was under contract to the Capitals at the time, and Washington had re-assigned him to Portland of the AHL. Whether or not he was entitled was murky, given the lockout and that the IIHF player transfer agreement had expired. Because Semin went to the RSL instead of the AHL per his assignment, the Capitals suspended him with the NHL head office.

This off-season, there was near weekly flip-flops in the news concerning what exactly would happen with Semin. The Capitals wanted him back. Semin said he wanted to be back. However, during the lockout Semin had become one of Lada Togliatti's main weapons offensively and the club was not eager to lose him.

Not so coincidentally, this summer Semin was drafted into the Lada military district to complete his mandatory military service — which he could do by playing for Lada Togliatti, conveniently enough, in the 2005-06 season. It's not so uncommon for teams to pull this trick to gain leverage. It happened with Alexander Svitov, I believe, a few years back.

So the question is what precisely are Semin's motivations. It could be that he wants to come over to the NHL, but that his military obligations genuinely forbid it. On the other hand, some say that it is easy to get out of such obligations much of the time, and that remaining is Semin's own wish. He's making considerably more money, tax free, with Lada than he would receive under his entry-level NHL contract. He also received significant cost of living perks (housing, automobile) free of charge as well. So he's not toiling in indentured servitude.

Now? Well, as of last week reports surfaced that Lada may be in considerable financial trouble and that the club might be letting Semin go. What does that mean? Does it mean his military obligations remain in force and that he will have to play in the RSL for the year, whatever the team? Does it mean he can head over to the NHL?

Capitals fans don't have access to any more information that that. No one knows, and there's just speculation and some hand wringing taking place. Some suggest he will be traded, but I've yet to see any basis for this other than still more speculation. The Washington Post reported that Semin talked to Cap Dainius Zubrus last week and told him that he wants to return to play for Washington. Caps GM George McPhee called Semin last week and told him that Washington wants him back. That's all we know. Yet the question of whether there is a way around the military service issue remains.

I don't personally believe the Capitals would trade the rights to a kid with his kind of talent. He may head over in mid-season, or it may wait until the summer, but I think the Capitals are still going to try and get him over here. If there is any team that can afford to wait another year for him to come over, it's Washington. The Caps aren't going anywhere this year.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Zubrus even commented on the fact that though semin talked about coming to washington before that he wasn't so sure it sounded like that but this past conversation he had with Semin on Wednesday he was certain it was honest truth that he does want to come back.

Of course it would be great to have him back for this season but not THAT much help, heh.

I think all of the 'head case' & 'bad attitude' comments came from just a couple of incidents that from a rookie and someone who doesn't speak the language are not that surprising as well as the general dearth of any information until lately as far as why he wasn't over.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
from The Russian Gazette:

"I want to get traded for Edmonton Oilers to play with my child-hood idol, Igor Ulanov. I also like to go there and to be traded for Georges Laraque and a 4th rounder. I am refusing to play with any team except Edmonton. Thank you very much". end qoute.

There you have it guys, looks like Semin wants to be an Oiler. :biglaugh:

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
If i remember correctly didnt he and Cassidy have problems when he was Head Coach??? I thought i remember reading that they werent getting along to well but cant remember. He got a labled as a trouble maker then to...but i love the kid hes going to be good if we can get him over here playing with AO....hurry up and finish those Miltary Obligations

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Sunny Mouhamed said:

"I want to get traded for Edmonton Oilers to play with my child-hood idol, Igor Ulanov. I also like to go there and to be traded for Georges Laraque and a 4th rounder. I am refusing to play with any team except Edmonton. Thank you very much". end qoute.

FTW :confused:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
For what it's worth, a link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/12/AR2005101202460_2.html

October 13, 2005

"Capitals Notes: Team officials are again hopeful of seeing Alexander Semin, one of the organization's top prospects, in a Capitals' uniform this season. Although when exactly that might happen remains as mysterious as the enigmatic left winger's absence.

Semin's Russian Super League team, Lada Togliatti, is slashing payroll, and the 21-year-old figures to be among the first casualties because he's the highest paid. Zubrus, who played alongside Semin for Lada Togliatti during the NHL lockout last winter, said Semin told him by phone Wednesday that he wants to return to Washington, but Russian military officials have not yet granted him a release from his service obligations. General Manager George McPhee, meantime, spoke to Semin on Tuesday to express the club's desire to have the electrifying goal scorer back."

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Cappy76 said:
If i remember correctly didnt he and Cassidy have problems when he was Head Coach??? I thought i remember reading that they werent getting along to well but cant remember. He got a labled as a trouble maker then to...but i love the kid hes going to be good if we can get him over here playing with AO....hurry up and finish those Miltary Obligations

Semin was the least of the Capitals’ woes that year.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
TransportedUpstater said:
Maybe it's because I'm tired, but that's cracking me up right now... :biglaugh: :D

Every time I play NHL 2006 and the puck is "Gobbled up by Semin!" I can't help but giggle

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
With the comment he left in the Gazzette I am thrilled as an oiler. It is sometimes hard getting very good players to come to edmonton because they have a choice where they want to play, and if they are not from the area, then really why go to edmonton if you can play in california or some other place with a better climate and better taxes. I know the pros of playing in edmonton and if I played in the league I wouldn't want to play anywhere else. I really hope Lowe gets this kid. Laraque and a pick, heck I would give you Rita and a pick for him. Anyway, that was the first time I saw that remark.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
rigger said:
With the comment he left in the Gazzette I am thrilled as an oiler. It is sometimes hard getting very good players to come to edmonton because they have a choice where they want to play, and if they are not from the area, then really why go to edmonton if you can play in california or some other place with a better climate and better taxes. I know the pros of playing in edmonton and if I played in the league I wouldn't want to play anywhere else. I really hope Lowe gets this kid. Laraque and a pick, heck I would give you Rita and a pick for him. Anyway, that was the first time I saw that remark.
Ummm I hate to break it to you man...But I think that the article doesnt exist.... :help:

jixxsaw

Aug 11, 2005
Sunny Mouhamed said:

LMAO priceless :clap: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
rigger said:

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
rigger said:

Next time I would ask for a link, before feeling the happy vibes...

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
rigger said:

Classic! Or for the french speaking among us, Classique!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad