Speculation: What ever happened to Zaitsev?

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Stop blaming Gardiner. Should we blame Rielly last year then when he struggled with Zaitsev? Everyone does worse with Zaitsev. The eye test and stats back it up.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Stop blaming Gardiner. Should we blame Rielly last year then when he struggled with Zaitsev? Everyone does worse with Zaitsev. The eye test and stats back it up.
The problem is he's being asked to be a stabilizing Hainsey type for Gardiner but he's just not suited to that. He needs a partner who can do that for him. He also should really be sheltered until he feels confident and comfortable out there

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017

Defensively Gardiner is an issue. Z playing with him doesn’t help with his struggles.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
The problem is he's being asked to be a stabilizing Hainsey type for Gardiner but he's just not suited to that. He needs a partner who can do that for him. He also should really be sheltered until he feels confident and comfortable out there

Why did we sign a guy for 7 years if he needs to be sheltered and given a better partner than himself to do anything useful?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Why did we sign a guy for 7 years if he needs to be sheltered and given a better partner than himself to do anything useful?
We don't know if he'll always need to be sheltered. Just right now that he's only a sophomore and had a pretty tough injury. Besides, he might be able to do a lot of good in a favorable situation.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He's clearly not regained his form prior to the injury. It will take some time, but I think he can eventually revert to the reliable top 4 defenceman he was last season.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I used to think Zaitsev was an over pay at $4.5M, then Benning signed Gudbransson to $4M/ yr and I realized it was a bargain.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Because he had all the leverage (KHL) in negotiations, and the Leafs thought they were buying low on a player who was onlly going to trend upwards

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Babcock’s ‘keep grinding’ message works for Leafs, curlers | Toronto Star
  • The Maple Leafs have won 10 of their last 12 games.
  • The Maple Leafs have also run their record to 14-7-3 in games following losses.
  • The Maple Leafs have a 18-3-5 (.692) record in one-goal games, which is the NHL’s best winning percentage in one-goal games.
18-3 in one-goal games? Holy shit!

Okay, how bad is the Leafs defense? How much are they really struggling? 18-3 in one-goal games is good.

Just think about it, when Ziatsev was hurt, two games back to back Rielly made a miscue to loose those games. The Leafs could be 20-1 in one-goal games, which is near perfect.

The pessimists ... take note please!

:dunce:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Still getting back into stretch run condition. Injuries sometimes linger longer, I think Rielly wasn't great for a long time after his leg injury and we didn't throw him out with the bath water. He'll be hitting his stride in a few more games. Still in the top 30 in the league for blocked shots despite playing 15 -17 games fewer than many on the list. Not worried about Zaitsev. Contract is irrelevant to anything right now.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The Leafs really need him to settle down and find his game here, down the stretch.

He hasn't looked very good since his injury return, and I thought he had a really poor weekend - especially in Pittsburgh.

Given how light the Leafs are on the blueline, they really need Zaitsev to figure it out in a hurry.

TheRealChuckWoods

Jan 20, 2018
Unfortunately due to this defence core needing to rely heavily on Zaitsev, he likely wont heal up completely until the offseason.

Hes battling and hes having some off games, but the simple fact is that he WILL be a Top 4 defender for this team for years to come and is being compensated like it.

These type of injuries are the most difficult for defenders to overcome mid season.

I am not concerned in terms of the long term, but I do have my concerns about his current work load. Hes absolutely not at 100% and I doubt anyone denies it.

Unfortunately this team needs him for this playoff push, even if hes at 70%

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Looking better the last few games but still doesn't look 100%.
Hopefully, he can recover in time for the playoffs...

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
  • The Maple Leafs have also run their record to 14-7-3 in games following losses.
  • The Maple Leafs have a 18-3-5 (.692) record in one-goal games, which is the NHL’s best winning percentage in one-goal games.
18-3 in one-goal games? Holy ****!

Okay, how bad is the Leafs defense? How much are they really struggling? 18-3 in one-goal games is good.

Just think about it, when Ziatsev was hurt, two games back to back Rielly made a miscue to loose those games. The Leafs could be 20-1 in one-goal games, which is near perfect.

Well to be fair, if its a one goal game and leafs are down, Babcock pulls the goalie to ensure its not a one goal game by the end of regulation.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Zaitsev is sick he's just playing scared this season. He has absolutely zero confidence. No clue what's going on with him.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He must still be hurt because he looks horrible every game.
Like, currently he's a 5/6.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
18-3 in one-goal games? Holy ****!

Why did you leave out the 5? It's 18-3-5 not 18-3. The real record would lead to 18-8 which is much more realistic that 18-3.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He must still be hurt because he looks horrible every game.
Like, currently he's a 5/6.

I don't think 5/6 defensemen play 22:36 a game on average, a lot of which are tough defensive matchups and PK. He's handled both of them well.

Right now, he's playing like a 3/4 more than the 2/3 he's been capable of doing in the past. The problem is that Babcock has asked Zaitsev to play like a high end shut down defenseman when maybe that's not what he is, especially not when he was dealing with injuries and inconsistencies (especially from Gardiner, who was even less suited for the role he was given).

An ideal role for Zaitsev is 2nd pairing who can handle top PK minutes and split the tough matchups with another good pairing. All the while having a partner who he does not need to shelter defensively (like he has had to often do with Gardiner) so he can take some risks offensively, which is also part of his game. That could very well be why he's not doing all that great; he's not used to having to be a Hainsey for someone. It's not his style, so it's a little bit unnatural for him. Maybe he can develop into that, but I'd rather he be a good two-way guy who does not have a pure offensive guy beside him than have to be an anchor.

Maybe working with Rielly is worth another shot. Both can take the freedom they want without having to worry about their partner not covering them when they need to.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't think 5/6 defensemen play 22:36 a game on average, a lot of which are tough defensive matchups and PK. He's handled both of them well.

Right now, he's playing like a 3/4 more than the 2/3 he's been capable of doing in the past. The problem is that Babcock has asked Zaitsev to play like a high end shut down defenseman when maybe that's not what he is, especially not when he was dealing with injuries and inconsistencies (especially from Gardiner, who was even less suited for the role he was given).

An ideal role for Zaitsev is 2nd pairing who can handle top PK minutes and split the tough matchups with another good pairing. All the while having a partner who he does not need to shelter defensively (like he has had to often do with Gardiner) so he can take some risks offensively, which is also part of his game. That could very well be why he's not doing all that great; he's not used to having to be a Hainsey for someone. It's not his style, so it's a little bit unnatural for him. Maybe he can develop into that, but I'd rather he be a good two-way guy who does not have a pure offensive guy beside him than have to be an anchor.

Maybe working with Rielly is worth another shot. Both can take the freedom they want without having to worry about their partner not covering them when they need to.
I know he is a top-4 guy when he's healthy but regardless of how much he's been playing, he hasn't looked good.
He said himself that he's 90% so I don't know why they'd bring him back now. Foot injuries tend to linger if they aren't managed well and we need him 100% for the playoffs.
I have to think they know what they're doing but in my viewings, he's looked like shit since he's been back.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Zaitsev and Gardiner were our best pairing last night. Just thought I should point that out.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Idk I think he's been alright, working out the kinks after being injured for a while. The kid's just solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad