What does the team look like in a few years?

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
PDG has the potential to become a guy like Tlusty, a glue guy who can attack the net and pot in empty net goals but won't dominate you with his size or strength.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A "few years" is a bit open, so I'll say ~17-18 season and go with a somewhat optimistic "most of our prospects pan out" scenario. First, I think the Canes are drafting top 5-10 this year so will get a winger in the draft. Still the Forwards are much more difficult than the D.

Skinner - E.Staal - Jesse Puljujärvi
Aho - J. Staal - Lindholm
PDG - Rask - Nestrasil
McGinn - Bishop - Karlsson
Tolchinsky

Hanifin - Faulk
Fleury - Pesce
Carrick - McKeown
Murphy, Slavin

Lack
Nedeljkovic

Defense and goaltending is solid. Forwards would require a lot of players to develop into scorers or would still be weak, especially with E. Staal at 33.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
PDG has the potential to become a guy like Tlusty, a glue guy who can attack the net and pot in empty net goals but won't dominate you with his size or strength.

I have a thing against PDG, me and a friend tried having a conversation with him at the prospect camp last year during the autograph session. Friend was a big Michigan fan so he was hopeful he could have a nice talk with PDG about his time in Michigan. I forgot how PDG responded but it just came off so negatively like he was better than us haha. Both me and my friend were left with a negative impression on him. First time I'd ever gotten a negative vibe from some player in the Hurricanes organization.

On the other hand Daniel Altshuller, Josh Wesley, Brock McGinn, and especially Jacob Slavin were class acts and were fantastic to talk to. They were very engaging and seemed to care very much about the fans we were. So I've got a soft spot for all of them to hopefully succeed someday in a Canes uniform haha! All the fans cleared out from the autograph session and me and my friend got to talk to Slavin for a solid 10 or so minutes. Was cool to hear all the things he had to go through to get to where he was, was just a very down to earth dude to talk to. Wish I could of gone back to the summer fest this year to connect with those guys.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
A "few years" is a bit open, so I'll say ~17-18 season and go with a somewhat optimistic "most of our prospects pan out" scenario. First, I think the Canes are drafting top 5-10 this year so will get a winger in the draft. Still the Forwards are much more difficult than the D.

Skinner - E.Staal - Jesse Puljujärvi
Aho - J. Staal - Lindholm
PDG - Rask - Nestrasil
McGinn - Bishop - Karlsson
Tolchinsky

Hanifin - Faulk
Fleury - Pesce
Carrick - McKeown
Murphy, Slavin

Lack
Nedeljkovic

Defense and goaltending is solid. Forwards would require a lot of players to develop into scorers or would still be weak, especially with E. Staal at 33.

I still feel like Ned's got two more seasons of developing before he is on the big squad. He needs one more year of juniors. Then year two he gets the starting gig with the Checkers, a prospect like him needs to get those consistent starts, keep him fresh, and keep him learning. He may get a call up or two in year two if there is an injury on the Canes, and the Canes might test him out depending on how important the games are during the callup. Year 3, 2017-2018 season is when we should expect him to at least hold a back up job on the NHL squad, getting a minimum of 25 games.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I still feel like Ned's got two more seasons of developing before he is on the big squad. He needs one more year of juniors. Then year two he gets the starting gig with the Checkers, a prospect like him needs to get those consistent starts, keep him fresh, and keep him learning. He may get a call up or two in year two if there is an injury on the Canes, and the Canes might test him out depending on how important the games are during the callup. Year 3, 2017-2018 season is when we should expect him to at least hold a back up job on the NHL squad, getting a minimum of 25 games.

Yeah, I agree. That's why in my post that you quoted, I said this was my guess at a line-up for the 17-18 season. I wasn't implying he, or even many of the others on that list, would be ready before that. Even for guys like Slavin, Pesce, Bishop, Aho, etc...if they make it to the NHL, it's probably 2-3 years.

Hockeywatching

May 9, 2015
On the other hand Daniel Altshuller, Josh Wesley, Brock McGinn, and especially Jacob Slavin were class acts and were fantastic to talk to. They were very engaging and seemed to care very much about the fans we were. So I've got a soft spot for all of them to hopefully succeed someday in a Canes uniform haha! All the fans cleared out from the autograph session and me and my friend got to talk to Slavin for a solid 10 or so minutes. Was cool to hear all the things he had to go through to get to where he was, was just a very down to earth dude to talk to. Wish I could of gone back to the summer fest this year to connect with those guys.

This year during Summerfest, I also got the impression from Slavin that he was a cool guy. Really engaging and nice dude.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I'll take a stab.

Skinner - Rask - Lindholm
EStaal - JStaal - CAR 2016 1st
UFA - LA 2016 1st - Wallmark
McGinn - Bishop - UFA
CAR 2016 2nd

Hanifin - Faulk
Fleury - McKeown
Carrick - Pesce
Murphy

Lack
Nedeljkovic

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I preface this by saying I don't know what PDG is like, nor have I ever met him. Sometimes though, it's not that people are an ass, it's that they aren't overly comfortable in groups and/or openly speaking to others. I remember when my kids were young and getting Canes autographs round 2006 ish. Brindy came out and while he did sign autographs, he barely spoke and it seemed like he couldn't get out of there fast enough. You could just tell he was uncomfortable, even though he was a many year veteran and had done this 1000s of times. If I didn't know about the player ahead of time, I would have come away with a very negative attitude toward him. Kevyn Adams and Justin Williams were the opposite. All smiles, talking to the kids, asking questions and hung around chatting for a while, etc.. Eric Staal vs. Chad LaRose is another example. Staal looks like a fish out of water talking to people, crowds, etc. LaRose revels in it.

My point being, we shouldn't assume all these guys are comfortable talking to fans or being in front of people at an event like summerfest. It doesn't mean they are an *******, it just means they have a less open personality. Again, I'm not saying this is the case with PDG, just a possibility.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Yeah, I agree. That's why in my post that you quoted, I said this was my guess at a line-up for the 17-18 season. I wasn't implying he, or even many of the others on that list, would be ready before that. Even for guys like Slavin, Pesce, Bishop, Aho, etc...if they make it to the NHL, it's probably 2-3 years.

I failed to read the 17-18 part, woops :P We think alike then on the development of Ned haha ;)

Hockeywatching

May 9, 2015
My point being, we shouldn't assume all these guys are comfortable talking to fans or being in front of people at an event like summerfest. It doesn't mean they are an *******, it just means they have a less open personality. Again, I'm not saying this is the case with PDG, just a possibility.

I'd like to add that especially in the prospects' cases they are very young kids. I would give benefit of the doubt that any standoffishness or dismissal of a question is a result of nervousness or just bewilderment of the whole thing (if this is their first time).

On the other hand, no reason not to suspect they aren't nice people if they're friendly and engaging to fans. Hanifin was a great sport when my friend asked him if he was keeping up with the then-ongoing Red Sox-Yankees series since Hanifin's a Boston native.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I preface this by saying I don't know what PDG is like, nor have I ever met him. Sometimes though, it's not that people are an ass, it's that they aren't overly comfortable in groups and/or openly speaking to others. I remember when my kids were young and getting Canes autographs round 2006 ish. Brindy came out and while he did sign autographs, he barely spoke and it seemed like he couldn't get out of there fast enough. You could just tell he was uncomfortable, even though he was a many year veteran and had done this 1000s of times. If I didn't know about the player ahead of time, I would have come away with a very negative attitude toward him. Kevyn Adams and Justin Williams were the opposite. All smiles, talking to the kids, asking questions and hung around chatting for a while, etc.. Eric Staal vs. Chad LaRose is another example. Staal looks like a fish out of water talking to people, crowds, etc. LaRose revels in it.

Yeah I understand that, who knows what went on for him during day that day for PDG. Just sometimes first impressions make a difference when you first meet someone. All the youngins there seemed super grateful to be there, feeling like they were special getting to sign autographs and all for the fans, and then there was PDG who just didn't seem to be like he wanted to be there at all. I still don't know what it is that really soured our tongues on him. It definitely could of been his social skills were lacking, or something went wrong that day and he was just upset. Who knows? I'd love to get the opportunity to meet him again, and hopefully get to change my standpoint on him. Canes have had a history of having countless class acts in the organization, and awesome personalities so hope that continues with our future players!

Also I've had a few instances where I felt Eric Staal was very personable, and felt like he cared with the fans that he was around. But he doesn't show that trait all the time. I could see some people getting a bad impression from Staal if they don't get the right opportunity to meet him. But overall I still have a very good impression of him.

Lol and talking about this makes me want to recollect of my favorite Canes personality wise that I've got to connect with over the years. Harrison, Cole, Larose, Williams, both Adams, Tlusty, Cam Ward, Ruutu, Peters, Stewart, Walker, Whitney, Wallin, Wesley, Commodore, and Vasicek all have left a lasting impression on me as great guys with the fans where I felt they truly appreciated connecting with us.

I'll still never forgot the day where I ran into Cam Ward at the Remington Grill in Crossroads back in 2007 haha, the young 14 year old fan I was back then went up to his table and I shook his hand. He didn't seemed bothered at all by me disturbing his lunch. Had to ask him what it was like to get the Conn Smythe and hoist the Stanley Cup, and he went on for a few minutes with me telling me how it was! Also asked him outside of game 7 of the finals, what was his favorite game of the playoffs he played in, and he responded back with game 2 of the Devils series, which is my favorite game of all time besides game 7 of the finals haha. He said he never went through such a flow of emotions in such a short time during a hockey game haha. Definitely one of the coolest experiences I have ever had was to meet him, and hear those stories.

And looking back on all this, this just tells me how I am so grateful to be a Hurricanes fan. There's not a lot of pro sports teams where you get opportunities to meet the players, let alone so many class act professionals. Canes have always done an amazing job bringing in some of the most personable guys, that have made me proud to be a Hurricanes fan over the years! Now only if we could start getting some winning seasons under are belts again that'd be great haha.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
PDG is just angry because he's a Michigan guy. Aaron Ward rubs me the wrong way at times too. 2007 was so great.

Game 2 vs NJD was the best game I've ever been to. Of course, I've only been to a handful of playoff games: everything in the first 2 rounds of 2006 and Game 5 of the Sabres series. That was fun too. Honorable mention to the regular season game versus the Flyers that year that ended in a 8-6 win.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
PDG is just angry because he's a Michigan guy. Aaron Ward rubs me the wrong way at times too. 2007 was so great.

Game 2 vs NJD was the best game I've ever been to. Of course, I've only been to a handful of playoff games: everything in the first 2 rounds of 2006 and Game 5 of the Sabres series. That was fun too. Honorable mention to the regular season game versus the Flyers that year that ended in a 8-6 win.

I've been blessed and only have missed one Canes home playoff game in their history. I remember how upset I was when the Devils scored with 20 seconds left of game 2. Probably 35% of the stadium emptied out already... But I'll never leave a close game like that, and luckily I was smart. And then when Eric Staal potted that goal with I believe 3.3 seconds left in the game, man was that an incredible moment. I lost my voice at that point after that goal. And when the Secret Weapon in overtime scored I remember trying to scream and cheer and I just couldn't get anything to come out of my voice box, haha my voice was shot! I couldn't believe the Secret Weapon was the one to score that goal, 3 playoff OT winners for that man, the one guy just never scores goals, scored them at the right times though haha. It's a game I'll never ever forget. 2006 was so magical, I still get chills thinking about all it haha, hopefully we will get to relive that excitement again soon. Being at a home playoff game is such an incredible experience.

My honorable mention for the playoffs is Jussi's .02 second winning goal. My away game honorable mention I've been to was actually at the Canes 9-3 win over Tampa! And another honorable mention in the same season goes to the 9-1 win over the Islanders!

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Honorable mention to the regular season game versus the Flyers that year that ended in a 8-6 win.

This was the look on the face of my friends when I told them I wanted to watch this game instead of going to some High School football game that night that I had absolutely no interest in.

BslAje0IIAAEaXP.jpg

And what a game that was. Too bad I couldn't convert anyone that season. Hockey was too much of a "yankee" sport for them :shakehead

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
not entirely surprising

you do live in the nascar part of the state

Truth, although In my lifetime I've maybe known 2 or 3 serious NASCAR fans. Sometimes it amazes me this city ended up with the HOF because except for the two races, few people here seem to care about NASCAR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad