Speculation: What does the future hold for Matt Murray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
So an article of Tim Benz quoting Adrian Dater guessing about the coat of Murray. News these days.

but seriously grubauer and a 2nd in theory isnt bad value. Its just we really shouldnt be taking a gaolie back unless there like league min cheap and colorado doesnt have a 2nd rd pick.
Maybe Murray and Johnson to COL for Grubauer and a 3rd (Toronto’s)?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If the AV's want Murray, I include JJ as a condition to the trade. Picks 2nd this year and third next year plus Timmons who looks healthy and he was the player I wanted to draft before the ST Louis fiasco deal. If he is healthy, he gives the Pens a RH D man is young and who is young and in need of PT.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
14th overall in what is considered a deep, promising draft is pretty steep for a goaltender, yeah.

If Murray were an absolute rock and this was a pure cap move by the Penguins... maybe different. But other GMs have been paying just as much attention as we have the last two years.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
14th overall in what is considered a deep, promising draft is pretty steep for a goaltender, yeah.

If Murray were an absolute rock and this was a pure cap move by the Penguins... maybe different. But other GMs have been paying just as much attention as we have the last two years.

No, it's not. Especially not for a guy barely over 25 who has won two Cups already.

Gosh draft picks are overrated around here.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No, it's not. Especially not for a guy barely over 25 who has won two Cups already.

Gosh draft picks are overrated around here.

Guess we'll see.

Value is not a static thing. And goaltenders simply aren't worth as much as skaters.

I'm actually not a big draft/prospects geek, anymore. So I'm not really coming at it from that POV. But a first is a first and everyone seems to consider this a nice draft.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So an article of Tim Benz quoting Adrian Dater guessing about the coat of Murray. News these days.

but seriously grubauer and a 2nd in theory isnt bad value. Its just we really shouldnt be taking a gaolie back unless there like league min cheap and colorado doesnt have a 2nd rd pick.

If we can get Grub back for Murray to back up Jarry it’s a solid move. Plus likely means we lose him after this season in expansion which helps if we acquire a D with McCann.

Reactions: Rust17

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

We gave the 15th OA for Kapanen so 14th OA for MM is nothing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We gave the 15th OA for Kapanen so 14th OA for MM is nothing.
That's the thing.

People forget Pens weren't the only one in on Kapanen. I think Hollander is what won the deal over the Canes.

Murray is far more proven, yet people have a very hard time thinking he could get a mid or late 1st.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That's the thing.

People forget Pens weren't the only one in on Kapanen. I think Hollander is what won the deal over the Canes.

Murray is far more proven, yet people have a very hard time thinking he could get a mid or late 1st.
There was like 3 or 4 teams IIRC in on Kapanen. There are more teams in on MM.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Oilers fans/blogs have kicked around the idea for their 1st for Murray for a while. I still doubt it happens, but man would I love it.

Reactions: KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Didn't realize that. Thought he had 2 years left on his deal. Even better than.
I mentioned this before, if Colorado was interested I mean. We’d have to take 1 back and I am ok with Grubauer splitting with Jarry, as stated in that post from way back...the Pens will need a 1a/1b situation and Grubauer seems to be better in that type of situation rather than the defacto #1. Same for Francouz, he’s a bloke that puts up damn good numbers when he’s the 1b. Murray can be the 1a knowing he has a veteran for support.

I just think at that point, if you are taking Grubauer back, the Avs are either thinking that’s a big value in the deal and give a lesser part as well or JR adds in McCann with Murray to get the best value he can out of that whole deal. Avs are looking for bottom 6 help, McCann might fit better back in the WC on a speedy younger Avs team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oilers fans/blogs have kicked around the idea for their 1st for Murray for a while. I still doubt it happens, but man would I love it.
I think they’d want to dump some cap too, which is why Larsson keeps popping up, but most Oilers fans can’t fathom the idea of giving up the bloke they got for Hall, in a deal for Murray, of whom they only look at overall stats the last 2yrs and not context. I have tried to reason with them, no chance of that, but it seems like there’s still a lot of smoke there with the Oilers.

How pissed would those wankers be if the Pens got their 1st + Larsson for Murray + McCann

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I wouldn't be too stoked with landing Larsson, tbh. He's not horrible, but he's not exactly a great skater and I don't think he'd be more than a bottom pairing guy here. We need offensive blueliners first and foremost.

But, for the 14th OA, maaaaan... Especially if we pull the deal off before the draft, we could either keep the pick and land a stud prospect for a barren prospect cupboard, or we could flip that 14th OA for something significant to help now and moving forward, as it's a more universally accepted currency than an RFA goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad