What does Kucherov need to do to surpass Ovechkin and become the greatest Russian player to ever play in the NHL?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I checked again just now, I don’t know what happened yesterday i would be ready to swear it said 65, maybe I accidentally pulled up a different player?

I got nuthin.
Maybe 65 pts from this year? Either way it doesn't matter...anything is possible, but I don't think there will be a big focus placed on his career +/-

Reactions: HolyHagelin

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
If you adjust the scoring to the years they played, I would say in terms of points Ovechkin at the same age as Kucherov is about similar as far as averages go. The major difference is the trophy case that Ovechkin has piled up plus being on the brink of breaking the goal scoring record.

Kucherov needs to be dominant for the next few seasons on the same level as he is now plus rack up a similar trophy case as Ovie to have a chance. The problem is it's gonna be hard doing that in a McDavid era.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Ovechkin will retire as the greatest goal scorer of all time. So he has to beat that.
Kind of a dumb take no? What I interpret from this is that Kucherov would have to take the goal record from Ovechkin to be best him on the all-time list. So that must mean you think OV shoots to #1 on the list if he breaks that record? If so, at least consistent, delusional, but consistent. And if not…why would that qualifier only apply to Kucherov? Kucherov isn’t Gretzky, I get that, but my point is so many people saying there is nothing he can do or he’d have to break the goals record, etc. Really? The question isn’t if people think he can surpass, pretty much everyone will simply say no. Question is what he’d have to do…whether you think it’s possible or not

Reactions: wetcoast

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Kind of a dumb take no? What I interpret from this is that Kucherov would have to take the goal record from Ovechkin to be best him on the all-time list. So that must mean you think OV shoots to #1 on the list if he breaks that record? If so, at least consistent, delusional, but consistent. And if not…why would that qualifier only apply to Kucherov? Kucherov isn’t Gretzky, I get that, but my point is so many people saying there is nothing he can do or he’d have to break the goals record, etc. Really? The question isn’t if people think he can surpass, pretty much everyone will simply say no. Question is what he’d have to do…whether you think it’s possible or not
No, not really.

If Ovechkin breaks the goal record (and I think he will) I don't think there is anything he can realistically do to be labeled the greatest Russian player of all time. You can argue he is better, but he will never be greater.

Grulemieux

Jan 28, 2021
No, not really.

If Ovechkin breaks the goal record (and I think he will) I don't think there is anything he can realistically do to be labeled the greatest Russian player of all time. You can argue he is better, but he will never be greater.

Welcome to the semantics discussion

Reactions: RogerRoger

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No, not really.

I never get this great, better, had a better career, had a better prime ect .. isolation arguments.one should look at the totality of any 2 players then decide which guy was actually better all things considered.

Ovi is obviously the better goal scorer and has the better overall career right now.kuch is the better playmaker and has the better playoff resume but lacks the career aspect and most likely won't be able to make that up but time will tell.

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I never get this great, better, had a better career, had a better prime ect .. isolation arguments.one should look at the totality of any 2 players then decide which guy was actually better all things considered.

Ovi is obviously the better goal scorer and has the better overall career right now.kuch is the better playmaker and has the better playoff resume but lack the career aspect and most likely won't be able to make that up but time will tell.
Ovie was also a freight train for part of his career, so if you want to isolate aspects of their game to compare, he has that one in the bag.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ovie was also a freight train for part of his career, so if you want to isolate aspects of their game to compare, he has that one in the bag.
Sure that's a fair point in favour of Ovi for part of his career.

How much value it holds is somewhat subjective and is no doubt not as valuable as his goalscoring or Kuchs playoff resume one would think.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
No, not really.

Not true, although highly unlikely he will achieve the resume, but Ovechkin holding that record doesn't guarantee that Kucherov can't pass him.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
No, not really.

Yeah, but you bring in what you think he can accomplish. And yeah, getting to semantics here....but if someone asks what needs to be done, here's the answer, and everyone can conclude, yeah, no chance he's going to accomplish that though....2 separate questions. My point is that there is definitely things that can be done, beyond just besting him on the goal record, but the 2nd part is that he's not going to be able to do those things.

Reactions: blue425

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Please show your math on this. I’m not seeing how you came up with this

I'm guessing he/she is talking about the average for an 82 game season. Ovechkin played 1426 games and scored 853 so far, so if you do (853 * 82 / 1426), you get about 49 goals per an 82 game season.

Reactions: algernon

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
There’s nothing he can do to pass Ovechkin or even be a tier near him

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Very easy. We're using Ovechkin's career pace from his rookie season until the end of the 2022 season (age 20 to 36).

780 goals in 1,274 games = 50.2 goals per 82 games.
Ok, but wouldn’t that be the same thing as saying Crosby averaged over 100 points a year for his entire career so far (19 years)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad