What does Kucherov need to do to surpass Ovechkin and become the greatest Russian player to ever play in the NHL?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
answer to the question is: go back in time and hit people the way Ovechkin hit people while also scoring at generational level. It's too late.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Both players are first ballot hof players and special in totally different ways. Ovi dominated the game with his physical attributes shot , speed ,and physicality. Kucherov dominates with the play with his hockey iq, game vision, instrlincts, and ability to make highlight reel plays every game look like warmup drills. Kucherov can score lots of goals, but prefers to set up plays with his vision and playmaking ability. Ovi will shoot almost every time . Ovi was the russian machine that helped the nhl gain popularity again with Crosby.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
if OVI has the most goals scored in NHL history

no way for kuch to jump him

period

Reactions: Randyne

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Because Crosby missed 25% of the regular season. And it wasn't a very strong era. Jamie Benn, top scorer with 87 points for example... I think this season's McDavid/Kucherov/McKinnon would have shattered this mark.

They swept away the 80s generation as soon as they arrived in the league. We found ourselves at a time with a league where the majority of the best players were under 25 years old.

44 goals, 100 assists dude - 160 points in PO.
Ya those 2 Hart finishes kind of show the luck Ovi needed to be there in the first place and the 12-13 Hart with the unbalanced schedule is a really weak one right?

Even the 14-15 second place finish he was tied for 20th in ESP and had the benefit of an extremely good Capitals PP that year, John Tavares who finished 3rd has as much of a Hart case as Ovi did that year and there was more timely luck with Crosby missing 5 games and being sick in December but still outscoring Ovi.

for as much as a certain poster tries to claim that Ovi has been hurt by some supposed Canadian bias, he actually has gotten the benefit of the doubt more often than not in terms of Hart voting and others, ironically mostly Canadians (Tavares in 14-15), haven't.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ovi has an incredible level of fame outside of stats that Kucherov doesn’t have, so it’ll never happen.
who gives a shit about "fame"
this ain't the Kardasians vs Groeing Up Gotti.

We are witnessing Kucherov is passing OV as the greatest Russian player.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Fame matters a great deal when the discussion is greatness. It’s the hall of fame, after all.

No, Kucherov is not close at this point. Someday? Maybe, but I doubt it.
OV lead league Art Ross.
Kucherov did same.
OV won the Hart.
Kucherov did same.
OV won Rocket.
Kucherov only winger ever to record 100 assists.
OV won Cup and Con Smythe.
Kucherov won 2 Cups.
It's a coin toss at best.
No clear cut winner.
Kuch would get my vote.
But that's just me.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
if OVI has the most goals scored in NHL history

no way for kuch to jump him

period
Sure there is.

Longevity totals ain't rhe be all ofcend all.

Howe has the 2nd most goals of all Canadians.
But no one ranks him ahead of Mario , McDavid or Crosby.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If he continues to have years like this year he'll be in the conversation, not yet. He certainly can pass him though.

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
Ovy achieved significant success during a time when scoring goals was more challenging compared to the present-day game. Because of this, I regard him as the superior player between the two.

Reactions: Kimota

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Problem of understanding.

I repeat : Elite Player since 2014/5. To 2014 at 2016, Kucherov already had the level of a Stamkos between 2014 and 2016 and even slightly above.

Superstar since 2017/8. He made a 100 points season. Thing that Ovi didn't made since 14 years and by far (no more 90). And after this, only sick performances with, in addition, titles and finals to boot.

Kucherov has more seasons as a Superstar. Ovechkin was a Superstar since 2005 until 2010, then Franchise until 2019 and Elite until 2023.

Kucherov was Elite in 2014/16, Franchise in 2016/17, Superstar to 2017/24. And his career is not over. He is at his peak.

None of Ovechkin's seasons after 2010 come close to Kucherov's level of play since 2017.

17/18… the year the goalie gear shrank and five million new stars were born. PPG players quadrupled. Kucherov wasn’t really elite before 16-17.

Comparing raw point totals without context just doesn’t work between these two eras.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Ovy is realistically out of reach. But Kucherov has a pretty good chance to end up 2nd.

Reactions: T REX

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Ovechkin was amazing for so much longer. Kucherov would have to get 125 pts + for the next 4-5 years at minimum.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
My hot take is they should get a chance to play together at the Olympics. Imagine with Michkov as well, multiple generations together.
Maybe the Caps could let him go to Tampa, too, ala Ray Bourque, to help him score ......1,000 😂

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I highly doubt Kucherov will ever be in any historical discussions in 10 or 20 seasons from now. Some people might point back to this season once in awhile and say he had an amazing season and won a few Cups but his overall career body of work is not legendary or All-Time great level. Players need to have some kind of unique impact over a long period of time statistically and also be a focal point in the league for many years to be looked upon as an all time great. Before this season I have not seen or heard much discussion about Kucherov since 2019. Ovechkin has been a main focal point of the league for close to 20 years now and he has accumulated legendary goal scoring statistics. Kucherov is only 30 so he might have 3 or 4 more great seasons to gain that type of stature in the league but as of now, people will be talking about Ovechkin in 20 seasons from now and Kucherov will be a distant memory in most people's minds. They will be talking about Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin, and even Matthews is making that impact with his level of goal scoring from this era. You don't become an all-time great for one or two noticeable seasons.
Yeah, I don’t see another Russian player breaking his 144 point record in 10 years from now.

McDavid has Draisaitl with Hart/Ross/Lindsay he factored in up to 50% of McD's points
Sid has Malkin with Hart/2Rosses/Lindsay/Calder/Smythe he factored in up to 50% of Sid's points
Kucherov has Point/Stamkos/Hedman with many trophies they factored in up to 80% of Kucherov's points
Ovechkin has no one with any trophy. And outpaced SidMalkin monster duo 3 times in a row.
Holtby won a Vezina ;)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Maybe wait 50 years, just get into a reduction machine, then go back in time, then get injected into AO's father's you-know-what so that AO's mother get insiminated by him. That's the only way he can become the Greatest Russian, by being AO himself. And even then, he might fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad