What do you want from the Jackets' next GM?

Booooooone 38

Apr 10, 2016
Looking through the articles on here give me

1. Tulsky
2. Darche

Heck no to Hunter give me new school over old school.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Looking through the articles on here give me

1. Tulsky
2. Darche

Heck no to Hunter give me new school over old school.

Is Darche considered new school? I guess based on his age and experience but is Tampa going about things in a new school way? I never got that sense from an outsiders perspective. It certainly seems like they're not at the level Colorado is, at least in terms of advance scouting:

Bednar likes to break the regular season into 10-game segments. It gives his players mile markers during a long journey and can provide a little extra motivation if one segment is nearing a conclusion and hasn’t gone so well.

It also gives him and his coaching staff a chance for regularly scheduled wellness checks.

“We always have a big meeting about the analytic parts behind (each 10-game segment),” said Avs forward Ross Colton, who joined the team this past offseason from Tampa Bay. “I didn’t realize they looked that much into it. We never really did that kind of stuff in Tampa. Obviously, we talked about some things, but not like this.”

Reactions: Booooooone 38

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sunday Dispatch suggests that CBJ can 'make history" by hiring the first female GM. I am sorry, but if they do this, I am done as a fan. I mean no disrepect women, but I am tired of the the CBJ as a kind of carnival freak show.
Gosh, thanks, that makes me feel so much better now. Great post for Mother's Day too. :shakehead

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Sunday Dispatch suggests that CBJ can 'make history" by hiring the first female GM. I am sorry, but if they do this, I am done as a fan. I mean no disrepect women, but I am tired of the the CBJ as a kind of carnival freak show.

And why the obsession with Hunter who has never been an NHL GM?
I get it. I’m all for equality and women getting equal opportunities but this specific hire is too important to the franchise to take unnecessary risks and I’m not sure if a good female candidate exists with enough credentials to take that risk.

Of course all hires have an inherent risk in not working out but I don’t know of a female out there in the potential pool that has experience doing what we need done.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
That's an honest take. Not one that I agree with, but it's probably what more than a few people are thinking.

I'm curious how other GMs would interact with a woman crashing their old boys club? Would that help us or hurt us?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

“No disrespect to women but if we hire one of you to be the GM it will be a carnival show.”

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

The top candidate for that would be Castonguay, I presume. I personally don't think Castonguay has enough experience yet (applying the same standard as I have to all candidates). Younger than Rick Nash, who is too young for it.

But carnival freak show is a ridiculous thing to say about a woman being in charge. My god. She is a really solid person who would be the furthest thing from that.

I get it. I’m all for equality and women getting equal opportunities but this specific hire is too important to the franchise to take unnecessary risks and I’m not sure if a good female candidate exists with enough credentials to take that risk.

Of course all hires have an inherent risk in not working out but I don’t know of a female out there in the potential pool that has experience doing what we need done.

“No disrespect to women but if we hire one of you to be the GM it will be a carnival show.”

We aren't the first team to think about it, she's already an AGM for the Canucks. Capable talent is capable talent, just because things have been done a certain way forever, doesn't mean they were the best way to do them. For those who complain about the old boys club, well this guarantees you that we don't have more of that.
“I think a lot of these teams like Pittsburgh, I think they’re still collecting their names. I think Philly is still collecting their names and they’re reaching out and just gauging some interest. But one of the names that got out there was Émilie Castonguay, who’s one of the AGMs in Vancouver. I think that the Canucks were a bit surprised at how this all happened and got out there. But I heard that she indicated to the organization she wasn’t looking to leave, and she was happy there. So I don’t think that’s going to go anywhere. But I think that teams are looking to start interviewing some different candidates, not the same usual pool, and some of that is they want to know who some of the younger former hockey players are like, you know, whether it’s a Steve Staios or Shawn Horcoff or something like that. Or if some of the analytics people are ready for the next step, or even some of the female candidates who may be ready for a bigger role. That’s why I think her name came up. And I do think she was someone that they were doing their research into, but I don’t think it’s going anywhere. I think she indicated to the Canucks, she was very happy to stay and continue to be a part of their organization. So I don’t think that one’s going to continue.”
-Elliotte Friedman
From last year.

Probably wouldn't be for GM though..

The Flyers are beginning their search for a new President of Hockey Operations, and a way-outside-the-box candidate may have emerged Tuesday.

Multiple sources confirmed that the Flyers interviewed Vancouver Canucks Assistant General Manager Emilie Castonguay. None would confirm that the interview was specifically for the position of President of Hockey Operations, but two sources were willing to say that was likely the intent of the meeting.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023

...and people wonder why I tell other's that my dream job isn't possible because " people won't hire someone like me for said job". Just say she's too inexperienced next time...

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Honestly i think their top canidates were Zito and McFarland. This is one reason why JD made it known that the dual title is on the table if necessary . For Zito , this resulted in a nice raise . I spoke with someone last week that worked in the front office in Columbus that worked beside McFarland with the Bluejackets . He said Chris is one of the smartest people he’s come across.. still has quite a few really good friends that work in the front office , and has family here in Columbus . Columbus hired McFarland and gave him a shot when no other teams would , and worked here from prior to our first season , up till 14-15 . I’m not saying McFarland is coming back to Columbus .. I do believe they are going to make a substantial offer to him

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
That's an honest take. Not one that I agree with, but it's probably what more than a few people are thinking.
Those people shouldn't be included in decision making.
I'm curious how other GMs would interact with a woman crashing their old boys club? Would that help us or hurt us?
Idk, probably work with them until they have a reason to not work with them.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We aren't the first team to think about it, she's already an AGM for the Canucks. Capable talent is capable talent, just because things have been done a certain way forever, doesn't mean they were the best way to do them. For those who complain about the old boys club, well this guarantees you that we don't have more of that.

From last year.

Probably wouldn't be for GM though..

She certainly seems qualified.

I haven't read the article in question but I just want to be clear that I want whoever is hired to be the right person for the job and not because we are looking to "make history" or "make a splash."

Regardless if she or another female is the right person for the job, we all know media will beat that story into the ground and be a distraction in the initial stages after the hiring. That is where I fear the real distraction and possible hinderance to success might occur.

Somebody has to be first but I don't want that to detract or distract from them doing their job.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I am not a fan of bringing back Chris MacFarland. Seems like a good man and is doing fine with an already loaded roster, but I would like someone else.

Bill zito was a fun idea and I would have been open to that, but that door is closed.

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am not a fan of bringing back Chris MacFarland. Seems like a good man and is doing fine with an already loaded roster, but I would like someone else.

Bill zito was a fun idea and I would have been open to that, but that door is closed.

MacFarland was credited with doing a lot of the work to build that loaded roster while Sakic was the GM.

I'd want to know what his role was in all of their decisions, going back many years. Toews, Nichushkin, as well as some bad decisions like Johansen. They've had some screw ups lately.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
MacFarland was credited with doing a lot of the work to build that loaded roster while Sakic was the GM.

I'd want to know what his role was in all of their decisions, going back many years. Toews, Nichushkin, as well as some bad decisions like Johansen. They've had some screw ups lately.
I’m sure he was a heavy influence.

I’m also willing to say the Johansen deal was almost all him as he was on staff here when he was drafted.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Based on how we talk about our prospects here, you'd think we have a mostly loaded roster too.

It really comes down with who is going to make the most of it moving forward. IMO Jarmo's downfall was he was too attached to his draft picks.

is MacFarland maybe the guy who could flip that? Does he have some CBJ stink on him because he was here during really bad years? is any of that his fault? We don't know but that's certainly something to be vetted out in the process.

I suspect front office people around the league have a pretty good feel for most of that stuff.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
I'm more interested in MacFarland because he knows what a successful franchise looks like and seems to have hit a grand slam home run on his coaching hire.

We could use that here. Think it's important to remember that the person we are hiring is also likely hiring/keeping/firing staff in the organization. That's just as important as players. And he needs to understand how to set up a team to how he can identify players.

Cohesion should be the ultimate goal here.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm more interested in MacFarland because he knows what a successful franchise looks like and seems to have hit a grand slam home run on his coaching hire.

We could use that here. Think it's important to remember that the person we are hiring is also likely hiring/keeping/firing staff in the organization. That's just as important as players. And he needs to understand how to set up a team to how he can identify players.

Cohesion should be the ultimate goal here.
Bingo … disruptor.. the losing culture will be gutted from this franchise .. JD has mentioned this many times .. which is why I agree most likely new scouts , coaching staffs etc are ushered in . Coaching may or may not be addressed immediately, but the want that winning standard from top down of the org .

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Bill Zito was never coming here. If anything, JD did him a solid so he could negotiate for more money. Maybe JD will end up with a consultant to the GM gig in Florida in a few years or some nephew of his gets a gig with the Panthers.

“Bill, any interest in coming back to Columbus?”

“Dude, we are Cup contenders. No way. But I could use a raise. Act like you want to hire me, and I’ll owe you one.”

“My wife’s cousin’s kid is a good kid, but he is dumber than a sack of hammers. Think you could get him some job with an ok title where he doesn’t do anything? Director of Community something or other?”

“Sure thing. Have him send me his resume and we’ll find something.”

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bill Zito was never coming here. If anything, JD did him a solid so he could negotiate for more money. Maybe JD will end up with a consultant to the GM gig in Florida in a few years or some nephew of his gets a gig with the Panthers.

“Bill, any interest in coming back to Columbus?”

“Dude, we are Cup contenders. No way. But I could use a raise. Act like you want to hire me, and I’ll owe you one.”

“My wife’s cousin’s kid is a good kid, but he is dumber than a sack of hammers. Think you could get him some job with an ok title where he doesn’t do anything? Director of Community something or other?”

“Sure thing. Have him send me his resume and we’ll find something.”

If the Panthers were not willing to match the Jackets and pay Zito $5m+, then I think he is on his way to Columbus. You write very cynical fiction though, maybe there's an audience for that for people who find reality too rosy.

There are cheap owners out there like Dundon and various cash strapped clubs, it's worth making a big offer and seeing what happens. We didn't pretend anything, we gave it a shot.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
If the Panthers were not willing to match the Jackets and pay Zito $5m+, then I think he is on his way to Columbus. You write very cynical fiction though, maybe there's an audience for that for people who find reality too rosy.

There are cheap owners out there like Dundon and various cash strapped clubs, it's worth making a big offer and seeing what happens. We didn't pretend anything, we gave it a shot.
Everyone has their price. You can't tell me if Panther's wouldn't match he wouldn't be heading to Columbus Too many people put their own biases in other's shoes and in this case what we would expect as fans. You can't tell me if someone is willing to offer you a massive promotion/pay increase even in a rebuilding company you wouldn't do it?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Everyone has their price. You can't tell me if Panther's wouldn't match he wouldn't be heading to Columbus Too many people put their own biases in other's shoes and in this case what we would expect as fans. You can't tell me if someone is willing to offer you a massive promotion/pay increase even in a rebuilding company you wouldn't do it?

And after what Bill Zito pulled off in Florida, you think he looks at the Jackets full cupboards and says "nah, too hard for me"?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I think he would have found a team willing to pay more than Columbus if he wanted to leave Florida. It’s not like we are going to win a bidding war with any team except the stingiest owners in the NHL. But he has a great situation in Florida so I don’t think he was looking to leave at this point in time. Win a Cup and he could name his price with an O6 or big market team.

Let us not have the false narrative out there that we were ever close to having Zito come here.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think he would have found a team willing to pay more than Columbus if he wanted to leave Florida. It’s not like we are going to win a bidding war with any team except the stingiest owners in the NHL. But he has a great situation in Florida so I don’t think he was looking to leave at this point in time. Win a Cup and he could name his price with an O6 or big market team.

Let us not have the false narrative out there that we were ever close to having Zito come here.
Same Florida team that we all made fun of their attendance for years ? Amazing how quickly a narrative and perception of a franchise can change when you win in the playoffs … Reading your post , logically it may make sense .. but people develop relationships / life experiences .. you never know what makes a person tick .. plus they would have been offering an expanded role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad