Line Combos: What do you think the line combos will be for the start of the 19/20 season?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The kids come, the kids produce, the kids steal.

McLeod will instantly click with McD freeing up Drai for 2nd line.

McLeod-McDavid-McKassian
Draisaitl-Marody-Granlund
Benson-RNH-Chiasson
Khaira-Haas-Jurco
Brodziak,Nygaard,Lucic

Klefbom-Bouchard
Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Persson
Benning

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

McLeod-McDavid-McKassian
Benson-RNH-Chiasson
Khaira-Haas-Jurco
Brodziak,Nygaard,Lucic

Klefbom-Bouchard
Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Persson
Benning

This is destined to McRely on McMaybes

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007

McLeod-McDavid-McKassian
Benson-RNH-Chiasson
Khaira-Haas-Jurco
Brodziak,Nygaard,Lucic

Klefbom-Bouchard
Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Persson
Benning
Exactly what Holland said wont happen to start the season. However hopefully in 12 months we are in a position to move several pieces from Bakersfield in to replace Gagner, Brodziak Granlund Lucic Russell etc

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Assuming no more moves:

Draisatl - McDavid - Kassian
Benson - RNH - Chiasson
Granlund - Marody - Gagner
Lucic - Cave - Khaira
Nygard/Jurco

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Jones - Benning
Persson

Smith
Koskinen

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Benson-RNH-Chiasson
Khaira-Granlund-Gagner
Lucic-Haas-Jurco
Nygard-Brodziak

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Jones-Benning
Persson

Smith
Koskinen

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Jurco - McDavid - Leon
Nygard - Nuge - Chiasson
Lucic - Granlund/Cave/Hass - Gagner
Khaira - Brodz/Haas/Cave - Kassian
Benson

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Jones/Persson
Russell - Benning

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
looks terrible on paper and Mike Smith doesn't help. We going for a top 5 in the next draft? :dunno:

It is a good draft at least.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Not what I want, this is just a prediction

Lucic-RNH-Chiasson
Nygard-Granlund-Gagner
Benson-Brodziak-Haas
With Khaira interchangeable with Benson and Brodziak

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Jones-Benning
Persson

Puke

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Draisaitl-McPlayoffs-Kassian
Khaira-Nuge-Chiasson
Lucic-Granlund-Currie
Nygard-Haas-Jurco
Benson
(Gagner/Brodziak on waivers) (Puljujarvi???)

Klefbom-Russell
Nurse-Larsson
Jones-Persson
Benning
(Manning on waivers)

Predicting Koskinen to outplay Smith in the 1st half of the season, with Smith taking over in the 2nd half/playoffs. Like he did last season

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think the forwards are a bit hard to call atm. If I had to guess, using what they have signed so far I'd say

Benson/Marody-RNH-Chiasson
Lucic-Khaira-Gagner
Granlund-Cave-Brodziak

Still there's still a few too many question marks (Pulju?, Lucic,? trade/UFA signing?) to make a good call here.

The defence will also likely see a trade to address it's big issue: the massive hole next to Nurse in the top 4.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-_____
Russell-Jones
Benning

At the moment, the quick answer would be to bump Russell up, and roll with a Jones-Benning third pairing. Though as a group, I hate the low scoring potential of that blueline.... The easy solution would be in give Bouchard a shot, but I'm curious if Persson could maybe work as a stopgap. Even if it's just for 1/2 a season to let Bouchard ease his way into the pros. Go with something like...

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Persson
Russell-Jones

Basically you have Nurse-Larsson eating as much of the tough match-ups as they can. Klefbom-Persson as a more offensive pairing, with Oscar sheltering Persson as much as he can. Same idea with Russell and Jones.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Oh I'm already used to idiotic decisions by Oilers management. Having one rookie in the lineup is one thing, but two? That's tanking talk.

Persson is a solid d-man though, and at 25 he's not the ordinary young rookie. His biggest obstacle is to adjust to the smaller ice and the pace. I believe he can be a pleasant surprise for the Oilers.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Lots of Europeans have come over and straight to the NHL
That's kinda what I've been wondering with Edmonton in particular. It's been a total disaster for the past 3 seasons, and this one will most likely be no different. So why not give a couple of young(ish) players from Europe a shot? It's not like Edmonton has anything to lose by a 1 year 900k "show me" type of deal or three.

Take for example the Finnish national team that won the world championship this year. With a 100 % no-name team, they won against teams with 20+ NHL players, including hacks like Kucherov, Malkin, Ovechkin, Voracek, Stone, Kane, DeBrincat, Draisaitl, Vasilevskiy, Murray, etc.

For example, the D-men from the champion team:
  • Henri Jokiharju is currently relegated to AHL by Chicago, and they don't seem to want him anymore. Could get him quite cheaply, for sure.
  • Petteri Lindbohm is currently in Switzerland on a 1 year 756k USD deal. Could probably get him signed affordably.
  • Miika Koivisto is in Switzerland on a 1 year deal (unknown value, but certainly less than Lindbohm).
They are more than good enough for NHL as-is (not to mention compared to Edmonton's AHL D-men), and the first two do have a handful of NHL games in the past (Chicago and St Louis).

And they should really keep an eye out for Sakari Manninen, who will be an UFA from KHL after the 2020-21 season. He could be a good 2nd liner for Edmonton. He's a bit like Blake Wheeler - started slowly around age 20, but has improved steadily year after year, and now at 27 he's very good and ready. Undrafted in the NHL, and has 0.77 ppg in the KHL, which I guess would translate to around 0.5 PPG in the NHL, which would place him on a shared #4 spot in the Oilers 2018-19 roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Persson is a solid d-man though, and at 25 he's not the ordinary young rookie. His biggest obstacle is to adjust to the smaller ice and the pace. I believe he can be a pleasant surprise for the Oilers.

the problem I have with Persson is that he does not play in all situation. Some will not see that as a problem but I do. In nearly every game I saw him in last year, he was only being used as an offensive threat--for this team that is a good thing. But he never touched the ice when his team was short handed or when the face off was in his own zone. And his open ices passes gave me a heart attack

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Tippett shouldn't have any allegiances to stuff we saw last season, so hopefully that will at least mean we won't have to watch Kassian on the first line.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Lucic-McDavid-Jurco
Khaira-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Nygard-RNH-Kassian
Haas-Brodziak-Granlund
Cave, Gagner

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Manning-Jones
Persson

Smith
Koskinen

This is my "Tippet" style 20 game nosedive roster.

Good god.....does anyone realize we are banking on 3 rookies having major impacts in order to upgrade this lottery level scrubshow.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Lucic-McDavid-Jurco
Khaira-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Nygard-RNH-Kassian
Haas-Brodziak-Granlund
Cave, Gagner

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Manning-Jones
Persson

Smith
Koskinen

This is my "Tippet" style 20 game nosedive roster.

Good god.....does anyone realize we are banking on 3 rookies having major impacts in order to upgrade this lottery level scrubshow.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Tippett shouldn't have any allegiances to stuff we saw last season, so hopefully that will at least mean we won't have to watch Kassian on the first line.
Maybe my memory is serving me wrong, but I thought Zach did a good job in that spot. Not like McD and Drai need another star on that line, someone like Kass/Maroon/Chaisson works fine.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they sign Vanek or Maroon and you get

Kassian McDavid Draisaitl
Vanek RNH Chiasson
Nygard Khaira Gagner
Lucic Brodziak Granlund

Klef Larsson
Nurse Russell
Jones Benning

It would be kinda funny to see Vanek finally put on an Oilers jersey, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad