Line Combos: What do you think the line combos will be for the start of the 19/20 season?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I appreciate your confidence in Haas. Have you seen him play?
I am just curious as to why you are so confident.

Admittedly not a ton, but I did watch a couple Swiss games from the WC this year. I remember him having a good game against Sweden. At the time admittedly, I though he was just a decent scorer, but the more high-lights and scouting reports I've seen, the more I like him as a #3C.

Now I don't see as an amazing player, or a long term solution; he's not Backlund, but I think there is a Calle Järnkrok-type player there: undersized-but-speedy, decent to strong 2-way play, solid hands, but Haas has a better shot. (thus also the poorman's Silfverberg comparison). Is Järnkrok an ideal #3? In my book, no. But he is serviceable in the role, which is more than I can say about the rest of the names this team has for the #3 centre position (Gagner, Granlund, Khaira, Marody, Cave, Brodizak...)

Biggest thing I've liked about his highlights is there's no bobbles with the puck, nor does he stick-handle himself into corners. Everything's very clean and methodically, plays that leave you saying that can work at the NHL level. Plus I do like that he can score in a variety of different ways: on the rush, grabbing rebounds, using a bit of flair and creativity, or just beating goalies clean by sniping from all over the ice.

I compare that to Nygård (whom I admittedly haven't watched in games), who looks far more choppy when handling the puck. Semi reminds me of a younger MPS, who struggled to keep the puck on his stick in traffic at the NHL level. Nor do I see Nygård capitalise on/create things that aren't broken plays/scrambles. He could be like Hagelin, but Carl has better shot imo, is better at getting the puck to teammates, and his most defining aspect: an absolute demon on the forecheck (which is a harder aspect to measure, as that's as much about mentality as it is speed; nor do people make highlight videos of that...). Admittedly though, I can see see him stealing a spot from Granlund if he shows well.

That's the other reason I'm liking Haas' chances; Nygård and the other wingers have to go through a fair bit of competition to win a spot, while the #3 centre is open for the taking.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Admittedly not a ton, but I did watch a couple Swiss games from the WC this year. I remember him having a good game against Sweden. At the time admittedly, I though he was just a decent scorer, but the more high-lights and scouting reports I've seen, the more I like him as a #3C.

Now I don't see as an amazing player, or a long term solution; he's not Backlund, but I think there is a Calle Järnkrok-type player there: undersized-but-speedy, decent to strong 2-way play, solid hands, but Haas has a better shot. (thus also the poorman's Silfverberg comparison). Is Järnkrok an ideal #3? In my book, no. But he is serviceable in the role, which is more than I can say about the rest of the names this team has for the #3 centre position (Gagner, Granlund, Khaira, Marody, Cave, Brodizak...)

Biggest thing I've liked about his highlights is there's no bobbles with the puck, nor does he stick-handle himself into corners. Everything's very clean and methodically, plays that leave you saying that can work at the NHL level. Plus I do like that he can score in a variety of different ways: on the rush, grabbing rebounds, using a bit of flair and creativity, or just beating goalies clean by sniping from all over the ice.

I compare that to Nygård (whom I admittedly haven't watched in games), who looks far more choppy when handling the puck. Semi reminds me of a younger MPS, who struggled to keep the puck on his stick in traffic at the NHL level. Nor do I see Nygård capitalise on/create things that aren't broken plays/scrambles. He could be like Hagelin, but Carl has better shot imo, is better at getting the puck to teammates, and his most defining aspect: an absolute demon on the forecheck (which is a harder aspect to measure, as that's as much about mentality as it is speed; nor do people make highlight videos of that...). Admittedly though, I can see see him stealing a spot from Granlund if he shows well.

That's the other reason I'm liking Haas' chances; Nygård and the other wingers have to go through a fair bit of competition to win a spot, while the #3 centre is open for the taking.

I just find it so hard to know how a player from the Europe (especially from the Swiss League) is going to handle the NHL.

I like your optimism though. :nod:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I just find it so hard to know how a player from the Europe (especially from the Swiss League) is going to handle the NHL.

I like your optimism though. :nod:

That's why I like his international experience. He's at least had a taste of top talent, and he's held his own.

I think whoever lands the #3C job is going to look better than most expect, assuming they have a degree of 2-way ability. I just think Haas fits in best.

He'll have as good a 1-2 centre combo ahead of him as any in the league, plus two experienced wingers in Granlund and likely Chiasson flanking him. It's not a bad situation to walk into.

A bit like DD back in 16/17 after the TDL. Is he an ideal #3? No. But can he form a decent line while being flanked by Pou and Kassian/Slepy? Sure.

If you were tossing Haas out with Benson and Yamamoto, I'd be far less optimistic, and calling for an upgrade. But here, the skillset fits and I can see the player succeeding (or rather, holding their own) in the role.

Truth be told, this is the silver lining of Pulju not signing: the 3rd line now features two experienced, even if average wingers and a unproven centre vs. an unproven centre, a guy still trying to learn the NHL game, and an average winger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's why I like his international experience. He's at least had a taste of top talent, and he's held his own.

I think whoever lands the #3C job is going to look better than most expect, assuming they have a degree of 2-way ability. I just think Haas fits in best.

He'll have as good a 1-2 centre combo ahead of him as any in the league, plus two experienced wingers in Granlund and likely Chiasson flanking him. It's not a bad situation to walk into.

A bit like DD back in 16/17 after the TDL. Is he an ideal #3? No. But can he form a decent line while being flanked by Pou and Kassian/Slepy? Sure.

If you were tossing Haas out with Benson and Yamamoto, I'd be far less optimistic, and calling for an upgrade. But here, the skillset fits and I can see the player succeeding (or rather, holding their own) in the role.

Truth be told, this is the silver lining of Pulju not signing: the 3rd line now features two experienced, even if average wingers and a unproven centre vs. an unproven centre, a guy still trying to learn the NHL game, and an average winger.

Fair points. From a bottom 6 perspective this team is strong on the wing.
I am curious to see how Haas does on the dot.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
If Haas isn’t a clear winner start him in Bakersfield betweenBenson and Yamamoto and build chemistry for a third line in 2020

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
My unlikely centres lineup... We have the wingers, it's just a matter of who is any good. Hopefully the competition brings out the best of these guys.

Nygard/Haas-McDavid-Neal
Granlund-Draisaitl-Jurco
Benson-RNH-Archibald
Khaira-Cave-Kassian

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Agreed with this... another player to watch in the bottom 6 is Archibald who I think will impress most here with his tenacity. Almost everyone who has seen him has said that he's a spark plug and a great team player... exactly what you need in the bottom 6 and a winger like that makes things easier for their centres.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Drai Mcdavid Kassian
Benson Nuge Neal
Granlund Sheahan Archibald
Nygard Khaira Chiasson
Gags/Jurco

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Jones
Russell - Benning
Persson/Lagesson

Smith
Koskinen

I think Khaira ends up playing center, apparently Tipp discussed the possibility of playing center with him and he’s open to it.

Nurse-Larsson will be a shutdown pairing according to Playfair.

Lagesson might bump Jones out if he shows well but I think that’s Jones’ spot for the taking.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian
Nygard - RNH - Neal
Granlund - Sheahan - Chiasson
Archibald - Khaira - Gagner

Unless someone surprises in camp I would think this is the roster on paper.

At the very least these are all NHL players. No more AHL'ers like Rattie, Cave, Brodziak etc..

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
On paper I think this is not bad. I would try Gagner on the second line. He's a smart player with skill, clearly not a centre anymore but he's got decent offense and put up some nice goals in limited games last year. If you put both Neal and Gagner on their offwing they are both prime shooting options for Nuge. My only concern with that is Nuge has a pretty wicked shot himself. I wouldn't be surprised to see that line click.

It's nice to see Kenny put an NHL roster together. Apart from one regular spot on D, we have a club full of NHLers. We have to see what Lagesson can do this year. He has been developing for a while now, if he can't produce in the big league this year I think his time is virtually up. I would bet that someone else takes that spot from him though.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Gagner-RNH-Neal
Granlund-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira-Cave-Chiasson
Extra: Nygard-Haas-Jurco

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Bouchard
Russell-Benning
Extra: Lagesson/Persson

Koskinen/Smith

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
I just hope the Oilers give Brandon Manning a decent shot to make the team out of camp. We all know he is better than Benning, so I can definitely see him as a 6/7 back there.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Drai - McDavid - Kassian
Benson - RNH - Neal
Nygard - Sheanan - Chiasson
Khaira - Haas - Archibald
Granlund

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I just hope the Oilers give Brandon Manning a decent shot to make the team out of camp. We all know he is better than Benning, so I can definitely see him as a 6/7 back there.

Honestly his contract is working against him making the team. He'd have to be significantly better than anyone who makes less money for me to consider keeping him up.

Reactions: fireantz

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nygard-RNH-Neal
Granlund-Sheahan-Chiasson
Khaira-Haas-Archibald
Extra: --Jurco-Gagner
Benson gets called up the second Nygard stumbles on the 2nd line.

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Persson
Russell-Benning
Extra: Jones

Koskinen/Smith splitting duties with Tippett playing the hot hand.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
I really think Neal has to be pencilled in every so often with Drai and McD on the first line. Or maybe more so on the power play. Everything Neal has related in regards to going to Pittsburgh and being asked to play right wing and how it made his release/shot better because his stick was closer to the goalie. I would totally run that scenario.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
So now if that isn’t enough positive! With Marody Malone and Cave in the in the AHL no need to rush McLeod Play him with vets and you also have Currie Russell Gambardella and Yamo able to protect Safin Maksimov and Hebig. I see a regular rotation of Jones Bear Lagesson and maybe Bouchard getting their feet wet in Edmonton If you throw in Brodziak and Manning you will demote enough talent to Witchita to make them a threat Gotta love it!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Wild card is if McDavid will be ready for the start of the season.

I like Hass but anyone having him in the top 6 has not seen him play. He could be a solid 3rd liner

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Nygard-RNH-Neal
Granlund-Sheahan-Chiasson
Khaira-Haas-Archibald
Extra: --Jurco-Gagner
Benson gets called up the second Nygard stumbles on the 2nd line.

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Persson
Russell-Benning
Extra: Jones

Koskinen/Smith splitting duties with Tippett playing the hot hand.
Now we could start Gagner at 2LW and Cave at 4C and let Nygard and Haas be 13 and 14 and work them into the NA game slowly

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Wild card is if McDavid will be ready for the start of the season.

I like Hass but anyone having him in the top 6 has not seen him play. He could be a solid 3rd liner

I haven't seen anyone talking about Haas as a top 6 option... I think most see him as a competitor for that #3C spot... along with others like Granlund and now Sheahan as well.

Sounds like Haas is over here to make the big club and won't spend much time in the AHL if he doesn't make the Oilers... so it's likely a case that he does well, beats out the other 3C options in camp and sticks... or else he packs his bags and heads back to the Swiss league.

Personally I'm really hoping he shows well because he sounds like a speedy, defensively sound option for the bottom 6... but I'd say his chances at making the club are 50-50 at best... especially with Sheahan now signing who has a little more proven experience at the NHL level.

It's good that they have several players vying for those bottom two C spots in the lineup though... it's likely to be a pretty good battle in camp to see who can fill them.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Here is the lineup I think we run with if everything goes well.

Benson - McDavid - Neal
RNH - Draisaitl - Chiasson
Nygard - Haas - Gagner
Granlund - Sheahan - Kassian
Archibald/Khaira

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Jones
Russell - Benning
Lagesson

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I haven't seen anyone talking about Haas as a top 6 option... I think most see him as a competitor for that #3C spot... along with others like Granlund and now Sheahan as well.

Sounds like Haas is over here to make the big club and won't spend much time in the AHL if he doesn't make the Oilers... so it's likely a case that he does well, beats out the other 3C options in camp and sticks... or else he packs his bags and heads back to the Swiss league.

Personally I'm really hoping he shows well because he sounds like a speedy, defensively sound option for the bottom 6... but I'd say his chances at making the club are 50-50 at best... especially with Sheahan now signing who has a little more proven experience at the NHL level.

It's good that they have several players vying for those bottom two C spots in the lineup though... it's likely to be a pretty good battle in camp to see who can fill them.

A couple of people listed him in the top 6. Will be interesting where he plays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad