What do you think about Pens getting Crosby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
crosby's agent mentioned that pittsburgh was one of sidney's top 5 choices as well. he didn't get his wish of montreal, but i'm glad he wanted to come to pittsburgh to begin with.

Ogopogo*

formsoldier said:
Allright, I checked around these boards... I sorted by name and went over 50 pages or something looking for "What do you think... " and I found nothing on Crosby&Pens. I've wondered for a while now. My gut says most aren't too happy about it.

So I'm wondering...you who AREN'T Penguins fans... your honest opinion/view/feelings/emotions/ about the fact that Penguins were the team that at last got him.

Are you mad? Happy for us? Think that the lottery was fixed as some others do? Are you frustrated? Are you worried? And so on and so on.

I'm expecting all types of replies... everything from an NHL-vide view, to a market-view... to a pure Hockey-view etc.

Thanks
Trooper,

"I could've just sit here with pee-stains on my rug..."

I can think of five or six teams that I would have liked to see land Crosby but, I am happy that he ended up in Pittsburgh. Teams that needed him like Florida, Carolina, Nashville, Buffalo or Washington would have been good as well. I would have said Chicago but, Wirtz has done such a job of destroying that team, I would hate to see Crosby trapped in that mess. Maybe now, with the cap Wirtz is trying to build something.

My biased opinion is that I would have loved to see him in Edmonton.

Ogopogo*

signaliinoise said:
I'm in sour grapes camp #2 from MAFs list above.

Naturally, I'd have loved it if the Sabres got him, but I'd have been just as happy if he'd ended up in Chicago, LA, NY or somewhere else where his visibility could have been maximized.

Also, I'm a long-term Mario hater. Just IMO, but he's always seemed like a smug, whiny ***** to me. He is to me what Barnaby is to so many others (I like Barnaby, though so there you go). It sucks to see him get any kind of good fortune.

On the other hand, it's nice for the fans of Pittsburgh, and I'm pleased you've got someone to look forward to seeing. I hope you guys get the most out of this kid you can. If this doesn't save hockey in Pittsburgh, hello again Hartford or Winnepeg.

I echo the distaste for Mario.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
My opinion is if they can't get a new arena, and fill up said arena from then on, they don't deserve having an NHL team or Crosby.

If him going there puts the franchise on solid footing, then that's great.

KH1

I was glad to see Pittsburgh land Crosby because I was afraid of having to deal with Crosby to the Rangers garbage. The Penguins needed a jump start and I admire how hard the whole team played at the end of the '04 season, even though it was putting their chance at the #1 overall pick.

CupDrought67

Aug 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
www.freewebs.com
King Henry I said:
I was glad to see Pittsburgh land Crosby because I was afraid of having to deal with Crosby to the Rangers garbage. The Penguins needed a jump start and I admire how hard the whole team played at the end of the '04 season, even though it was putting their chance at the #1 overall pick.

I actually was hoping the rangers or kings got crosby, but pittsburgh is alright; I guess.

Skroob*

Jacobv2 said:
Yep. Because if they're such a big market they should have no problems selling out anyway.

Its not about filling the arena. The Rangers do it without being a good team. No, its about marketing, expsoure, etc, all of which is harder to come-by, outside of NY, CHI, LA, TOR or MTL.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Skroob said:
Its not about filling the arena. The Rangers do it without being a good team. No, its about marketing, expsoure, etc, all of which is harder to come-by, outside of NY, CHI, LA, TOR or MTL.

Absolutely true. As far as this upcoming season goes, the Pens are getting some nice exposure with OLN and NBC broadcasting 10 games. I believe only three or four other teams are getting more (12). That said we still have to see how successful OLN is at promoting the league but it's a nice start.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
I was fine with it. I like the Pens. They need a new arena more than Crosby though, but maybe between him, the new cap, etc they can convince Pittsburg to fund a new one

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
I'm an Oiler fan, so obviously I would've liked it if he had ended up in Edmonton - but I'm also a Crosby fan so I was just hoping he'd end up in a place that would be good for his development. I honestly can't think of a place better than Pittsburgh given this criteria. He has Mario, along with other stars to learn from, he's not in a huge market where he is immediately expected to "save the league", and he is playing for a team that by the looks of it will be playing a very offensive style. My only problem with it is that he is in the Eastern conference so I'll rarely get to see him play out here.

Roger's Pancreas*

octopi said:
5) Rigged! Rigged!

How many other franchises have won as many first overall picks and done as little with them? one, the Washington Capitals.

Yea so I'm in this group.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
I wanted him in E-town....but Pits with Lemieux is like the passing of the torch. It sucks we wont get to see him...but i didnt want to have to start hating him playing for a team in our conferance. I drafted him in our keeper pool so i hope he gets 150 points. I hope he can learn from Mario everything about dealing with the expectations we unfairly be put on him. At least Pits is smart enough to surround him with lots of talent to ease the burden. Ive always liked the Pens since we traded Coffey for Simpson and aquired McClelland and McSorley from them. Edm and Pits have always been trade partners. See you in the finals.

flyercide

Feb 27, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
octopi said:
You forgot

4.) At least the Ducks didn't get him group of people (which I'm in)

lol! yep thats were i was at during the draft & it was down to pit & the ducks. i was like oh no! not the ducks! ;)

anyways, im actually pretty happy that mario got him. and im really looking forward to watching pit this yr.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Panasonic Youth said:
How many other franchises have won as many first overall picks and done as little with them? one, the Washington Capitals.

:confused:

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Panasonic Youth said:

Care to name some of those first overall picks the Pens and Caps have "done so little" with?

formsoldier*

Oilerfan120582 said:
My only problem with it is that he is in the Eastern conference so I'll rarely get to see him play out here.

Yo dude.. thats so true.. good thing you mentioned it, its a bit off-topic.. but here goes..

I for one AINT happy about the new schedules at all .... sure I love rivalries, but you don't need 8 games in a division for rivalries. Rivalries are based on previous meetings, not on locations or divisions IMO ... see Flyers vs Toronto.

I just hate the idea about dividing the league into East vs West as almost 2 different leagues. Leaves it more vulnerable to shattering the league's integrity some how.... The old format was way better and just the perfect amount.

82 games split into:

6 games vs Teams in the same division (4 * 6 = 24) +
4 games vs Teams not in the same Division (4 * 10 = 40) +
18 games vs Teams not in the same Conference (and some times a team would play another 2 times, for instance Chicago played Pens twice last year...that matchup would be much more exciting this year for instance..)

= 82 .....

Some folks say "too much traveling" ... but thats a bit 2-sided, because the schedules were kind at the same time with Road trips.. an away Stint etc. Like Pens going to Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver last year on one trip. Or Toronto playing Kings, Ducks and Sharks in one trip etc etc.

I personally like the mixups and the rivalries will stay, even if it would be "only" 6 games within the division. hopefully after this season they go back to the old format and find some other way of making the reg season matter for the playoffs.... :yo:

bigjags*

I'm glad the worst team got him.

However, I was hoping Pittsburgh would fold and move to Winnipeg. The fact that city needs to be 'rescued' every ten years or so annoyes me.

Skroob*

CupDrought67 said:
Chicago is marketing hell as long as Bill Wirtz runs things.

But the potential for exposure is there. It is a shame that their owner is being an asshat though. I fact, though it would have been nice to have Sid in NY, i was hoping that CHI would be the team to land him,

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Im happy the Ducks didnt get him.

But Pittsburgh has had a ridiculous number of high end picks throughout the history of their existance. In 38 drafts they have had 7 top 2 picks (3 1sts), and 13 top 5 picks. Chicago has had 1 #2 pick (0 1sts) and 8 top 5 picks in 43 drafts.

The NHL bailed out Pittsburgh once again. I love Mario, but if Crosby isnt enough to save this franchise they need to be moved already. If the NHL showed half as much patience with teams like Hartford, Quebec, and Winnipeg and gave them multiple 1st overall picks, we wouldnt have hockey teams dying in the South today.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
salty justice said:
Im happy the Ducks didnt get him.

But Pittsburgh has had a ridiculous number of high end picks throughout the history of their existance. In 38 drafts they have had 7 top 2 picks (3 1sts), and 13 top 5 picks. Chicago has had 1 #2 pick (0 1sts) and 8 top 5 picks in 43 drafts.

The NHL bailed out Pittsburgh once again. I love Mario, but if Crosby isnt enough to save this franchise they need to be moved already. If the NHL showed half as much patience with teams like Hartford, Quebec, and Winnipeg and gave them multiple 1st overall picks, we wouldnt have hockey teams dying in the South today.

Pens have had 90% plus attendence for the vast majority of the last 20 years, in the 95% range most of those years. Only last year did they dive attendence-wise. And they had a fairly recent bankruptcy caused not by poor attendence but by an owner who spent vast amounts - top aggregate salary in the league - overpaying players with money that he did not have. Those two factors seem to have left a bad impression. The Pens have been lucky in the draft as you point out but have responded with an overall very full igloo and the number 3 rated fox local broadcasts of the NHL of any non-canadian market. Add in that the town is only something like the 27th largest television market and vastly smaller than the NY's, LA's and Philly's of the world and we do not deserve the tag that you are putting on us, that so many here continuously put on us despite the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad