Silver Seven What Do You Do With Logan Brown?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't know when you saw him live in the NHL. Last year, it was a problem

I know I have not seen the Sens live under DJ Smith so no I didn't see him in the NHL last year. I remember him from the 2018 rookie development camp, skill was apparent and speed was fine but the guy that impressed me the most was Wolanin by a country mile. I remember it was 2018 because it was just after Tkachuk got drafted. Also seen him once (or more?) in Laval in 2018-19 and he was pretty dominant. Last NHL regular season games I have seen in Montreal/Ottawa, Brown wasn't there so if I have ever seen him at that level, it would have been pre-season and before 2018. I agree it's hard to compare NHL with AHL speed/pace. But I didn't see it as a major problem vs his peers when I saw him live.

Has it been said that any of the injuries he had affected his speed/mobility? I don't think I have ever read that. But anyway, like I said he won't ever be a fast skater in the NHL as there is so many great skaters so he could look very slow compared to a Formenton. But he can still move enough to create stuff. His game is more about passing and vision, of course he'll have to learn to use his size and reach as much as possible. I feel like sometimes people diminish the importance of the "passing game", an area the Ottawa Senators clearly have to improve a lot. And that includes the PP.

By the way, found my Brown report from the 2018 rookie tournament

Brown : Didn't dominate, needs to improve his first 2 steps acceleration. Like others have hinted, this is a guy who would actually look better in a more structured game. I saw him deliver some nice hits, one that made his team regain possession but he needs to be able to find a way to impose himself physically to create space for himself and his teammates. Personally, I'd see him with Tkachuk and White, guys who create a lot of space themselves, allowing him to have the puck on his stick. That's when he can be good. But don't expect a prime Getzlaf, he is more a passive player like Spezza with superior vision and playmaking. If you can accept that, you won't complain too much on Brown, who should be a real asset on the PP. The plan should be to have a Duchene-Brown-Chlapik 1-2-3 punch down the middle in the near future, but probably not this year.

He lead the entire NHL in PPG that season and the playoffs.

Yeah agree about Spezza in general, even if he was no Bergeron/Crosby, he was great for us, mainly before his back problems. But to be exact with that quote, he was 5th in NHL PPG in 2006-07 (but behind Crosby, Thornton, Iginla and Lecavalier)

Also he was not 1st in PPG in the playoffs

NHL Stats

Guys with at least 10 GP : Michael Nylander, Scott Gomez, Heatley/Alfredsson/Jagr/Spezza all tied with 1.10 PPG. 4 guys with higher PPGs but only 5-6 GP (St-Louis/Richards/Lecavalier/Dumont)

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Trade him obviously. Not a NHL caliber top 6 center, and doesn't have the game to grind it out to be a bottom 6 center.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Trade him obviously. Not a NHL caliber top 6 center, and doesn't have the game to grind it out to be a bottom 6 center.
He is gonna be a very good 4th line centre in league ... i hope Leafs can trade for him next year ... but bottom line he will stay with sens and contribute a 200 foot game with size and muscle

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I've kinda given up on him but I don't think he should be traded on his own. If it's in a package for a better/proven player like Dubois then fine, do it. Otherwise play him in the A and see what he does this year. If he fails, he fails, better than him succeeding somewhere else.

The only teams who would even be interested in trading for him are ones that lack any sort of high end C prospects and take him on as a project. Ottawa happens to be one of those teams so I'm fine with him remaining their project. Not like the team is competing and needing that roster slot for a better depth player. We have time to wait and see what happens with him.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
For those saying trade him, have a look at the main board thread for how he's viewed around the league, albeit in a vacuum. His value is incredibly low.

It's a disappointment for sure, but the best option is to sit on him and when he does make an appearance this year, hope he makes the most of it. This team should give other teams in the league a chance to trade since they've been involved in the last 4 or 5 transactions.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Guess I was right. He's a bust. Never like taking guys because of their size in the top 20

I won't go that far and say he's a bust. He put up 28 points in 25 games in the AHL last year. 6'6 center usually take a long time to develop. He's 22 years old, missed alot of games due to injury in the last 3 years. I guess he is just not ready.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
You guys know he reads/hears about this stuff and you are shooting yourselves in the feet trying to blow things out of proportion. He's 22, developing and less than a year away from joining as a real impact player.
Stay focused, get excited.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sens suck at drafting in the first round over the last 20 years. Not saying L. Brown is a bust yet but he's definitely not worth where he was selected in the draft.

Cowen, Lazar, Puempel, Noeson, C. White,
L. Brown, Brian Lee, Tim Gleason, Klepis, Jim O'Brien, Ceci...

The first round really has a 30% or less success rate.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sens suck at drafting in the first round over the last 20 years. Not saying L. Brown is a bust yet but he's definitely not worth where he was selected in the draft.

Cowen, Lazar, Puempel, Noeson, C. White,
L. Brown, Brian Lee, Tim Gleason, Klepis, Jim O'Brien, Ceci...

The first round really has a 30% or less success rate.

Even Bowers doesn't look too special though he should still be an NHLer and Thomson looks like he'll never make it.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Even Bowers doesn't look too special though he should still be an NHLer and Thomson looks like he'll never make it.
Crazy eh? Most of our first rounders except Tkachuk, Karlsson, Stuetzle, Zibby, Sanderson over the last 15-20 years are pretty meh. I'm sure other teams also have a ton of misses too though. I guess Meszaros, Eaves, Foligno are decent.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I haven't seen him this year either obviously

But last year he simply wasn't keeping pace. Full stop. Couldn't handle regular minutes at an NHL pace.

If that hasn't changed then I'm not surprised to see him not make the team
IIRC, last summer he had a big offseason bulking up, heavy fitness training. I think it just took him longer to get used to his new size on the ice. The drive to work hard is there, hopefully it'll all come together soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad