Speculation: What do we do with with Lee and Eberle?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I like Eberle, but if the Isles were to make a big deal before the season starts for someone like Duchene or Trouba, I would not be shocked to see Eberle as part of the deal.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I actually like Eberle more, but I'd suggest re-signing both. If I was Lou, I'd get started on that now to gauge their interest. If they are not committed to being here, then I'd ship both out this summer.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Sign them or trade them before season starts . no free agent to be enters season
Unsigned , forget deadline 2 things can happen injury or you are in a playoff spot

Reactions: IODCPiper

1JB2

Feb 13, 2018
Massapequa
Too many people want Lee over Eberle and keep saying Lee is untradeable. What makes anyone think he's gonna pot even 30 goals this year without JT? We all saw the Lee with Barzal experiment last season and it did NOT work. Barzal-Eberle are way too fast for Lee, it didn't work out. Eberle and Barzal have found some magic that needs to stay. They compliment each others game very well. Lee just scored 40 and his value will probably never be this high again which is why I've been saying for months he needs to be the guy that gets us either assets (picks, prospects that are close to ready/ready) or a legit top 4 dman to take pressure off Leddy/Boychuk. With the way the game is evolving today (speed and a lot more younger stars then usual) I think it would be best to keep Eberle and see what Lee can get us back. I am not a Lee hater by any means but he's our best option right now to upgrade on defense plus it opens a roster spot for Bellows. I know theres many different opinions on this but im still sticking to the same one ive had since about March

1JB2

Feb 13, 2018
Massapequa
Well see what happens again this year with Eberle and Barzal but if they click like they did last year then how could you not at least attempt to resign him? If we didn't have Bellows waiting in the wings, I wouldn't want to trade Lee either but I think getting a decent package back and going younger (Bellows) wouldn't hurt too much.

1JB2

Feb 13, 2018
Massapequa
Trade Lee either before the season starts or at the deadline and attempt to resign Eberle. If Eberle doesn't stay, well then hopefully Wahlstrom is ready to go within that year or the next. When Wahlstrom fell to us I don't think ive been that hyped in the draft since we drafted the traitor. Reminds me of Mark Scheifele except Wahlstrom isn't a center

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lee is 6'3", 230 or so, is good along the walls and has soft hands and a touch around the net that enabled him to score 40 goals. Oh, and he's apparently a good guy.

How many other NHL players fit that description?

Reactions: Macch

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Barzy will have chemistry with most quick shooters, but his chemistry is sublime with Ebs.

Lee brings goal scoring around the net that is quite valuable. His board work is impeccable, w JTraitor gone, we don’t have any skilled board battlers.

I’d like to see how the season plays out.

Reactions: IODCPiper

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Ideally, I would sign Lee and trade Eberle at the deadline. However, if either of them are unsigned at the deadline, I would trade them.

It's hard to find players like Lee, so he's worth keeping around for a few more years. Eberle is more replaceable by prospects.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As I said in the other thread, I think the Isles have to be careful about trading away all the veteran scorers on the team and leaving guys like Barzal and Beauvillier with no one to help them.

A big part of rebuilding isn't just trading away all vets and building through the draft, it's also surrounding those prospects/youngsters with veterans who can help them reach their potential.

I can't think of a single successful rebuild through the draft who didn't also keep around some very good veterans to play with their prized blue chip youngsters.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
As I said in the other thread, I think the Isles have to be careful about trading away all the veteran scorers on the team and leaving guys like Barzal and Beauvillier with no one to help them.

A big part of rebuilding isn't just trading away all vets and building through the draft, it's also surrounding those prospects/youngsters with veterans who can help them reach their potential.

I can't think of a single successful rebuild through the draft who didn't also keep around some very good veterans to play with their prized blue chip youngsters.

I think this is exactly right. It might not be that fun for a while, and it's less likely that you're going to get flashy picks and prospects back by holding onto your vets, but providing the proper atmosphere for the younger players is key. How many years sooner could Bailey have started living up to his potential if he wasn't thrown onto the ice and mostly left without support for years (Dollar Bill? Dead Weight? Yeah, right).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Guys and gals, I think you got to sign one for veteran leadership. The Isles with Bellows, Wahlstrom when they are ready are going to be a young team. Having that one vet who can produce is going to be a big asset. I would keep Eberle and trade Lee. I think Lee and his contract could fetch a first rd pick or a good prospect. He's going to get paid as a UFA. Isles need to learn from the Judas situation. Get an asset for him rather than lose him. Eberle I would try to resign, If both look to be testing UFA status, and the Isles are not in a playoffs position. Isles need to do what is right. This may be a transition year for the Isles. They have a good stable of young players coming soon.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I want Eberle resigned badly. Him and Barzal have shown excellent chemistry together, why break that up?

Unless you can get Lee signed on a team friendly deal, try to move him. I do not see Anders putting up as many goals as he has been w/ the absence of the snake

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I wouldnt want to lose them for nothing but at the same time I'm not really in a rush to do anything in july .

I think both will be part of lou and barry's evaluation .

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Eberle is fine, but the idea that Barzal won't find chemistry elsewhere is pretty silly. Wahlstrom is the answer to 1rw as soon as next year imo. He's already got the size and shot.

Lee adds leadership qualities you need for a retool. Jvr set the market. Get it done.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
The obvious answer is trading Lee for younger assets. Lee is slow and lou / Trotz want team speed.

You might not want Eberle either. Remember, if Eberle isn’t playing with Barzal he isn’t as appealing.

The future for Barzal is having whalstrom on his wing. Not Eberle.

Reactions: Mork

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Pretty much already discussed ad nauseum in the roster building thread, but since it's here now too, my two cents:

I'm fine with signing both, and i'm fine with trading both. The only thing i'm not fine is them walking as UFA's for nothing in return. If I'm Lou I observe them from Oct-Dec and assess where they are at. As long as they keep Barzal and Eberle together, I think Eberle will do quite well. Lee's the big question mark. So see how they are doing, decide their value, offer them a contract and give them a deadline. This is our offer, this is the time you have to accept it. At that point the negotiation window opens with their agent and if nothing is ironed out by the provided date...Bye Felicia to the highest bidder.

I also make the first line Lee/ Barzal / Eberle and keep them together as long as possible to get them chemistry and hopefully (HOPEFULLY!) have them both be as successful as possible so in case Lou is worried about a drop in production post Tr91tor, their production doesn't drop too much and leave us with scraps if we do have to ship them out. Anyway, that would be my plan. This is a business and not a country club anymore with back room winks and secret f***king handshakes. You either wanna be here or you don't and you better have some goddamn pajama pictures to back whatever your claim is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad