Speculation: What do the Oilers need to do to take the next step?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Oilers are a vastly different team over last year . They have size , grit , an up graded D , more depth . What more do you think they need to do to becoming a good to great team ?

I know some will think this is better suited to the Oilers board but then you have fans that see the world thru rosy glasses . I am looking to hear from the true hockey fans and not the Oilers haters .

To me just base on cap

Out Hall and Nikitin = 10.5 million
In Lucic and Larsson = just under 10.2 million

Hall > Lucic
Larsson >>>>>> Nikitin

I am hoping to keep our C depth while adding a PM RHD . Not sure it possible but if it could be done I believe we are a playoff team

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
to go from good to great, they first have to become good !

McDavid will resurrect the Oil on his own.
The rest is just window dressing.

Heard this before, about .. Hall... Yakupov... Nugent-hopkins.... etc....

Go flames.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Acquire Shattenkirk and pray like hell that you can re-sign him. Gamble the 2017 1st on it, should be an enticing piece for STL.

If that's not an option then trade Puljujarvi for an equivalent D. Same concept as dealing the #4 pick that everyone expected, only greater value.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Acquire Shattenkirk and pray like hell that you can re-sign him. Gamble the 2017 1st on it, should be an enticing piece for STL.

If that's not an option then trade Puljujarvi for an equivalent D. Same concept as dealing the #4 pick that everyone expected, only greater value.

Can not afford to trade Puljujarvi . Him along with Lucic is what probably made Chia did the Larsson trade . He knew we were becoming to top heavy and had to balance it out . We are not paying the asking price for 1 year of Shattenkirk

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
There's no doubt, this season will be the most exciting season for the Oilers in a good long while. The division looks ripe for a team to make a move.

I agree . I think if we stay health this team could make the playoffs as is . I want to make some noise in those playoffs . Getting there will be sweet after a 10 years but I want more

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Can not afford to trade Puljujarvi . Him along with Lucic is what probably made Chia did the Larsson trade . He knew we were becoming to top heavy and had to balance it out . We are not paying the asking price for 1 year of Shattenkirk

Ahhh... So you are looking for ways to acquire a top defender without giving any assets away. Can't help you there. Going with Shattenkirk is the cheapest top pairing option. If you can't afford that then you can't afford what you want.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Get another RD that's good on the PK and even strength.

Get a backup goalie that can steal some games.

Get a 4th line that can carry a regular shift.

Hurt anyone that tries to lay a hand on McJesus.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Get another RD that's good on the PK and even strength.

Get a backup goalie that can steal some games.

Get a 4th line that can carry a regular shift.

Hurt anyone that tries to lay a hand on McJesus.

Our 4th line hasn't been the problem .

1st Statement I agree
2nd Not so much
3rd Hell yeah

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
McDavid will resurrect the Oil on his own.
The rest is just window dressing.

to go from good to great, they first have to become good !

Heard this before, about .. Hall... Yakupov... Nugent-hopkins.... etc....

Go flames.

But this time it is true. McDavid alone will bring the Oilers out of the abyss. Besides his incredible talents on the ice, other players want the chance to be on his line. Even if it means signing in Edmonton.

Before it is all over, their will be McDavid statues in Edmonton, and his number will be retired.

Amazing that one organization gets two "once-in-a-lifetime" Gretzkys in less than 40 years. Most teams never get a sniff of a player that good.

It pains me to say all this, as I hate the Oilers.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
But this time it is true. McDavid alone will bring the Oilers out of the abyss. Besides his incredible talents on the ice, other players want the chance to be on his line. Even if it means signing in Edmonton.

Before it is all over, their will be McDavid statues in Edmonton, and his number will be retired.

Amazing that one organization gets two "once-in-a-lifetime" Gretzkys in less than 40 years. Most teams never get a sniff of a player that good.

It pains me to say all this, as I hate the Oilers.

Pittsburgh has had 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad