What do the Caps need to tune up before the playoffs.

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
Obviously as a 50 win team, there's not much to criticize from a fans standpoint. But there's always room for improvement. What do you think is the biggest thing the Caps need to improve on come playoff time?

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
In my opinion...maybe mess with the third line. It has been magic but has been slumping for almost a month. Give Alzner and Carlson a couple of games off and put in Schmitt and Chorney. Gives them time to heal whatever is hurting them. I know Alzner has a massive iron streak but he has not been his consistent self. And we can't resign him. Last year was hard to watch when we had Pittsburgh and our defensive core was depleted by injury. Pk is great. Other then tonight I would say pp. Caps seem to slow the game down at will, maybe work on fast game transitions because history tells us they can't slow down a playoff game. This team is very good though I'm excited for this year's playoff run

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
In my opinion...maybe mess with the third line. It has been magic but has been slumping for almost a month. Give Alzner and Carlson a couple of games off and put in Schmitt and Chorney. Gives them time to heal whatever is hurting them. I know Alzner has a massive iron streak but he has not been his consistent self. And we can't resign him. Last year was hard to watch when we had Pittsburgh and our defensive core was depleted by injury. Pk is great. Other then tonight I would say pp. Caps seem to slow the game down at will, maybe work on fast game transitions because history tells us they can't slow down a playoff game. This team is very good though I'm excited for this year's playoff run

I think its time to put Kuz and Bura on the same line. That would mean losing the effectiveness of one line, but that is preferable to two dead lines, which is what they have at the moment.

GreatEight

Mar 29, 2017
For me, I would like to see them consistently skate hard. At times, they look somewhat complacent on the ice. When they are on they are really on but there have been too many times they let teams hang around and get back into games just off of not skating as hard as their opponents. The PK and PP are there, the puck movement came back, I would just like to see the whole team skate harder for the length of the game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Discipline. If we can avoid being on the kill, we'll improve even further our possession numbers and that would lead to a bigger goal differential.
Penalties have been a recurrent problem with this team.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Kuzy has to get going again. His absence last year is why we didn't advance V the pens. 2 pts in 14 games from your team leader in points spells doom.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Offensive timing, secondary scoring and dirty goals.

This. I'd add that it's up to Trotz to get the third line more minutes because they have a much higher ceiling than the fourth line yet they have been consistently receiving less TOI.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think I had erased the Ward penalty out of my mind. What are the chances of an entire season going down the tubes from lifting your stick up one time carelessly, like that.

It's tough to cut out penalties. Bad luck type of things will happen. Bad calls will happen. Teams will dive on us out of desperation.

In the end, the onus falls on Holtby to save everyones bacon. So, to answer OP, make sure Holts is playing at his best, gotten any needed rest, or no rest if he needs to be in a groove.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Unleash our offensive dmen. Green light Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov and Shatty to run wild in the offensive zone. That's an element of our team opponents will not be able to handle.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Hire a shrink.

EMGN-Empowering-Scenes-7.jpg

This is more appropriate

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Unleash our offensive dmen. Green light Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov and Shatty to run wild in the offensive zone. That's an element of our team opponents will not be able to handle.

Depends on what type of team your playing against. If its a fast team, like the Penguins last year, then you play smart hockey. And if you do that, you better make sure the come back. Because this 2 on 1 situations will kill us the whole series.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Green light, As if they are redlit now? Green lighting a base stealer means that if you think you can get a jump, you can go. Try to avoid doing something stupid or taking unnecessary chances like trying to steal 3rd base with two outs.

My view watching this team play is that the defense have a green light til the 3rd period with a lead.

Green light doesn't mean be reckless.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
the reason our scoring has been up this season is because the D are given the green light to join the cycle and get down low in the O-zone.

Teams really struggled for a while against us pushing that D cycle involvement. I almost think we have turned it off a little bit because it worked so good and are saving it for the playoffs?

wishful thinking perhaps.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
the reason our scoring has been up this season is because the D are given the green light to join the cycle and get down low in the O-zone.

Teams really struggled for a while against us pushing that D cycle involvement. I almost think we have turned it off a little bit because it worked so good and are saving it for the playoffs?

wishful thinking perhaps.

Yep. You can try it once or twice, but you can't rely on it like some people are saying. Its pretty much like playing russian roulette. It can go good or go really bad in a snap.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00