Speculation: What do the Bruins do now?

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Bruins are in a lot better shape than people think and A LOT younger than people want to believe. They're entire D corp and Wingers are set for the next decade.
They really only have 1 player to replace over the next 3-5 years (Bergeron). Coyle/Studnicka will take over the #2/#3 C position over the next couple years.
We all know the Bergy's irreplaceable but i'm sure they'll sign/trade for a #1c in the coming years.

Haters have just been ignoring the Bruins youth movement over the last 3-4 years

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Bruins are in a lot better shape than people think and A LOT younger than people want to believe. They're entire D corp and Wingers are set for the next decade.
They really only have 1 player to replace over the next 3-5 years (Bergeron). Coyle/Studnicka will take over the #2/#3 C position over the next couple years.
We all know the Bergy's irreplaceable but i'm sure they'll sign/trade for a #1c in the coming years.

Haters have just been ignoring the Bruins youth movement over the last 3-4 years

I mean yeah we're quite young but,

We lost our #1 PP guy,
Missed out on Hall and Toffoli
Our LD depth is Grzelcyk and Miller,
Chara might not return at all,
Our players might not trust Rask,
Rask could retire,
Secondary scoring is still a problem,
Pasta out until 14th feb,
Marchand out early jan,
Mcavoy needs to play almost 30 mins a night

That is a lot of stuff that we need to fix. Also division got a lot stronger for next season.

I dont think we make the playoffs. I feel like this is a mild rebuild.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

They’re not in terrible shape. But let’s not minimize just how unique Bergeron is and Marchand and Chara as well. Yes they have some good young pieces but saying all we need is a number one center like Bergy really minimizes the issue. You’re not going to find another Bergeron in a trade or FA.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
yes Thomas was jettisoned for “character issues” but on that subject it was wrong of him to be run out of town. I also agree with his sentiments. But that’s not a topic for HF.

Thomas just decided hockey was not for him anymore. He had issues to work on, kinda like Rask. I will say he was the best Bruin goalie I have seen in the last 10 years, wish he did stay. They may have won in 2013 with him.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
They’re not in terrible shape. But let’s not minimize just how unique Bergeron is and Marchand and Chara as well. Yes they have some good young pieces but saying all we need is a number one center like Bergy really minimizes the issue. You’re not going to find another Bergeron in a trade or FA.

Your not gonna find another Bergeron period. The Bruins are going dramatically change once he retires or takes on a lesser role.
BUT a lot of ignorant posters who are blinded by their hate towards the Bruins are acting like the entire roster is 35.
The Bruins have too many good young pieces in place to blow it up

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
With $11,040,187 in cap space, the Bruins are still in a position to make additions to their roster. Yes, they won't be top tier superstars, but Boston already has those. Guys like Hoffman, Dadanov, Duclair could still be some nice adding scoring punch for Boston and, TBH, Hoffman and Dadanov are both better than Toffoli IMO.

As for defense, thats when it gets a little iffy. I foresee Chara returning and that not being a problem, but replacing Krug through free agency won't be possible. That being said, Sam Vatanen can still contribute on the powerplay and with a stacked PP like Boston, he'd be very insulated and likely still produce.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
With $11,040,187 in cap space, the Bruins are still in a position to make additions to their roster. Yes, they won't be top tier superstars, but Boston already has those. Guys like Hoffman, Dadanov, Duclair could still be some nice adding scoring punch for Boston and, TBH, Hoffman and Dadanov are both better than Toffoli IMO.

As for defense, thats when it gets a little iffy. I foresee Chara returning and that not being a problem, but replacing Krug through free agency won't be possible. That being said, Sam Vatanen can still contribute on the powerplay and with a stacked PP like Boston, he'd be very insulated and likely still produce.

Loosing Krug "may" hurt the PP depending on how McAvoy adapts to the role
BUT loosing Krug will Boost our 5v5 and minimize the insane amount of breakaways he gave up.
Krug has an amazing offensive instinct, especially on the PP but his defensive awareness is horrible. Carlo spent most his shift covering up his mistakes.
He couldn't win a board/corner battle to save his life.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I'm guessing the Bjork for Chiasson rumor that made the rounds a month ago came out because Sweeney started looking for low-cost adds at RW to help in Pasta's absence. Craig Smith is the #1RW as it stands and if the Bs want to be somewhat competitive, Chiasson (2o goals last year) could be had for basically nothing in return since the Oilers are still looking to move out a bit of money.

Chaisson's a UFA at year's end, so it's a no-risk proposition for the Bruins. Either he fits and helps them make the playoffs or here's a trade deadline chip they can get a pick back for. I myself don't care what Boston sends back for him, the Oilers are flush at RW and just really need to jettison one. Boston would look like this until Pasta returned:

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
DeBrusk-Krejci-Chiasson
Ritchie-Coyle-Kase
Bjork-Kuraly-Wagner

I guess Bruins fans want Trent Frederic to get some minutes this year, so maybe one of those fourth liners makes sense (hence Bjork's name).

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I don't think losing Krug will be as bad as a lot of people think.
Krejci can pass Pasta for his lil' one timer. Done.

Krug was quite sheltered in offensive/defensive draws and what not and still somehow was a -4 on the year. (Yeah yeah, the old +/- debate)

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Thomas just decided hockey was not for him anymore. He had issues to work on, kinda like Rask. I will say he was the best Bruin goalie I have seen in the last 10 years, wish he did stay. They may have won in 2013 with him.

Thomas made comments about a White House visit and comments about the president. I know what happened. But won’t even go further on the topic.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
ok a third liner , but DeBrusk is younger and I feel a better player.

Duh, that's why we're sending you the NHL-ripe LHD Jake Bean. Bean is the centerpiece of the offer.

Zinger's just the guy you have to take to make the cap work. The fact that used correctly, he probably puts up ~20G for you is all upside.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
As a Bruins fan, I'm starting to see the Craig Smith signing as a mistake. Reports are that Hall would have gone to the Bruins, but he didn't want to wait for them to clear salary. I sure hope we didn't lose our chance for Hall to sign Smith. Now we may not even be able to sign Hoffman and all our other free agents.

Smith, btw, has 16 points in 52 career playoff games.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Duh, that's why we're sending you the NHL-ripe LHD Jake Bean. Bean is the centerpiece of the offer.

Zinger's just the guy you have to take to make the cap work. The fact that used correctly, he probably puts up ~20G for you is all upside.
all posters don't get it the Bruins need scoring not a d-man. By trading Debrusk they would need two forwards. They need to give their young D a look see and then decide. But the priority should be up front first, they need it more now than ever with Marchand and Pasta going to be out so long. They don't need someone other teams young D that has not proven them selves yet until they see what they have. There will come a time they may need to deal for a veteran D-man but not until they take of their up front scoring, something they have not done in years because of poor management........I also believe that ownership has put a self imposed internal cap spending "CHEAP BASTARDS ".........

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
It is mathematical you either stand pat or trade.

Now that AlexPiet is w/LV, Deangelo is likely the best consolation prize realistically available. He is a righty shot RD, but he can play LD.

As for a W, Buch is available.

We are not giving this guys away free, but we are not being unreasonable.
Market price.
Currency is inexpensive but quality assets, picks.
I can play either side on D, too. It is just a matter of how bad of a disaster I am on a given side.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.

We lost our #1 PP guy,
Rask could retire,
Marchand out early jan,

That is a lot of stuff that we need to fix. Also division got a lot stronger for next season.

I don't think we make the playoffs. I feel like this is a mild rebuild.

Marchand/Pasta/McAvoy injuries don't effect mid/long term of this team and only Pastrnak may miss a 2-4 weeks.
McAvoy/Marchand are expected to be ready or close at the start of the season.

Secondary scoring isn't perfect BUT is improved, especially 5v5 with the addition of Smith.
Adding Smith and loosing Krug(5v5 liability) is going to boost 5v5 performance.

Smith + healthy Kase + Debrusk are all capable 20g-27g middle 6 forwards.
Adding another 20g+ winger would be nice but how many teams have FOUR 20g+ wingers in their middle 6?

At some point the Bruins have to give one/two of Vaak/Zboril/Lauzon a shot. (all LD)
Lauzon defends/skates/hits better than Krug and I wouldn't be shocked if Vaak/Zboril do as well.
All 3 have been ready for over a year now and would be playing on a lot of teams.

The wildcards are:
-Kase, can/will he stay healthy? He's definitely benefited from the long break and only 24. Can he rebound like Bergeron did from concussions? he certainly has the perfect mentor!
-Debrusk, how will he rebound? will he take the next step? 20g scorer or will he finally break 30g?
-Lauzon/Vaak/Zboril all seem to be ready for #6/#5 duties with future #3 potential, how will they fare?
-Coyle, will he continue his late season form and slowly take over the #2C role? (Krejci 2A/ Coyle 2B)
-Studnicka shows a ton of promise with future #2c potential (long shot #1c). Where does he fit next year? dark horse 20g scorer?
-Bjork Skating/hands/skills are there, seems like a confidence issue but can he put it all together? Change of scene needed?

A lot of things to consider but he Bruins can't afford to trade our few good prospects (Stud/Vaak/Zboril/Lauzon/Beecher/Frederick)

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
It is mathematical you either stand pat or trade.

Now that AlexPiet is w/LV, Deangelo is likely the best consolation prize realistically available. He is a righty shot RD, but he can play LD.

As for a W, Buch is available.

We are not giving this guys away free, but we are not being unreasonable.
Market price.
Currency is inexpensive but quality assets, picks.
Jeff Gorton is no longer allowed to speak to Sweeney, after strong arming Sweeney into buying high on a flaming paper bag filled with Rick Nash.

And after seeing him pawn off $23m worth of Brady Skjei on a team stacked with really good defensemen, there's no way I'd trade with that franchise until Gorton and his mind control powers are gone.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

We lost our #1 PP guy,
Rask could retire,
Marchand out early jan,

I dont think we make the playoffs. I feel like this is a mild rebuild.

I agree they do miss out on the big names, Tavares, OEL, Hall
Grizz is not signed and Miller is a Right Dee and cannot play yet
Bruins have ONE signed Left Dee - Moore
Hopefully Chara retires. He will not accept playing a bottom role in limited minutes. That is where he belongs but that once again blocks Zboril, Lauzon and Vaak. They need a name top guy to play with McAvoy
Season may not start till February and it may be a bubble thing again, say bye to Rask.
Bergeron and Krech are both near the end. Krech may be gone next year and Bergy suffers groin pulls from over usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad