What did you guys think when they took out the red line?

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
What was/is your opinion on the decision?

I hated it and still do but wanted the opinion of the ATD community.

But you hate all change, you probbly would have hated the forward pass rule change too.

Anyway there are worse rule changes like the offside rule change which allows you to dump the puck.

I dont know why the redline took precedence over touch-icing though.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I guess the rule was based on forcing team to move forward together and keep them relatively close and to avoid cherry pickers and to encourage the opposite team defensemen to be willing to move forward without being scared of cherry pickers (at least to the poiint where they wait at the other blue line for a break away)

I could be wrong.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I guess the rule was based on forcing team to move forward together and keep them relatively close and to avoid cherry pickers and to encourage the opposite team defensemen to be willing to move forward without being scared of cherry pickers (at least to the poiint where they wait at the other blue line for a break away)

I could be wrong.

I did a tiny bit of background on it in context of the goalie project. This post: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=55579529&postcount=33

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
The worst rule in hockey history was the delayed offiside being blown down if a player was still in the endzone and the puck was dumped in...Talk about slowing the game down.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The worst rule in hockey history was the delayed offiside being blown down if a player was still in the endzone and the puck was dumped in...Talk about slowing the game down.

Yeah! Why develop players with skill to hold the puck and keep it within your team when you can just dump it! :sarcasm:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Agreed that was an awful rule. But the no tolerance for a toe in the crease was even worse.

As for the red line, at first I had mixed feelings about removing it. I know in Europe, there was an opinion that having to defend a longer breakaway pass just made teams play even more defensively and trap more. Didn't see to have that effect when the NHL removed it, so I liked the change at first from an entertainment perspective.

However, with the current epidemic of concussions, I think they really aught to look to putting the two-line pass rule back in to slow the game down for the safety of players.

I'd rather watch Sidney Crosby play a little bit slower than not play at all.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Yeah! Why develop players with skill to hold the puck and keep it within your team when you can just dump it! :sarcasm:

Not sure, probably because the games were taking well over 3.5 hours to complete. I'm glad they sorted that out quickly..

Agreed that was an awful rule. But the no tolerance for a toe in the crease was even worse.

Ah yes touche, that completely slipped my mind.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Not sure, probably because the games were taking well over 3.5 hours to complete. I'm glad they sorted that out quickly..

I rather have 3.5hrs quality games instead of fast games with less quality. There were alot more skill involved when you couldnt just dump the puck.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I rather have 3.5hrs quality games instead of fast games with less quality. There were alot more skill involved when you couldnt just dump the puck.

Well that's your opinion, i'm sure 99% of hockey fans wouldn't want to sit through 3X as many whistles to watch a couple extra D to D partner passes and then have the puck dumped in.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Well that's your opinion, i'm sure 99% of hockey fans wouldn't want to sit through 3X as many whistles to watch a couple extra D to D partner passes and then have the puck dumped in.

Well when defensemen were forced to do that we developed the greatest defensemen to ever play the game. After the rule were enforced thats when quality amongst defensemen dropped. So yes, quality over speed any day.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Well when defensemen were forced to do that we developed the greatest defensemen to ever play the game. After the rule were enforced thats when quality amongst defensemen dropped. So yes, quality over speed any day.

I really don't agree with this. The rule change was in 2005 and I think most people think the quality of defensemen (or at least offensive defensemen) started to drop off in the mid 90s.

I think speed in hockey is overrated too (I do prefer slightly slower, more creative hockey to faster, robotic hockey), but the constant whistles on offsides made me want to pull my hair out

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I really don't agree with this. The rule change was in 2005 and I think most people think the quality of defensemen (or at least offensive defensemen) started to drop off in the mid 90s.

I think speed in hockey is overrated too (I do prefer slightly slower, more creative hockey to faster, robotic hockey), but the constant whistles on offsides made me want to pull my hair out

Oh I was talking about the rule change prior to that in the 80s (I think 86?).

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010

Bingo. I guess it's easier for some people to stand when they just hit "last channel" button on their remote. Being at games live with these whistles were almost unbearable.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Bingo. I guess it's easier for some people to stand when they just hit "last channel" button on their remote. Being at games live with these whistles were almost unbearable.

yeeeaaa... because I have never been to any games :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3