What did the jets do different tonight?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Effort was much better, eliminated a lot of the defensive zone mistakes as well. Got some luck on the timing of playing them at the end of their road trip.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
People have been concentrating on "Montoya > Pavelec". But what about "Ellerby+Pardy > Stuart+Postma"? While definitely not Norris trophy candidates, they played their roles solidly, without big gaffes.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
People have been concentrating on "Montoya > Pavelec". But what about "Ellerby+Pardy > Stuart+Postma"? While definitely not Norris trophy candidates, they played their roles solidly, without big gaffes.

I agree yet one of them is probably going to sit next game. Just wish he would keep the roster as is. Just put in Kane for Tanger if he is ready to go.

Patch22

Nov 4, 2009
Canada
Personally I think part of the difference in this game was Montoya. Obviously he's not the saviour or anything, but the team was way more confident in front of him. This meant less fire drills in the defensive zone, and his puck handling and passing abilities helped out on the rush a few times as well.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Biggest difference IMO:

Scheifele played like a #2 centre and dominated his matchups. If he plays like this all year, the Jets win a bunch.

Two possession positive lines that produce is huge. LLGooch were very good again too vs toughs.

Goaltender was also strong.

Biggest difference was the Scheifele line though.

Agreed. The biggest difference last night was Scheifele's play. IMO if he continues to play with confidence his offensive skill will play a bigger and bigger role in the success of this team.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Agree about Scheif. Said it in PGT, that's how I envisioned him to be at the beginning of the year. Finding that open man. That's how I was hoping he would be with Kane and Seto.

I am not surprised that his play has been up and down, but I said going into the season that Olli and Scheifele would need to combine for 75+ points for this team to make the playoffs. They are on pace for 56. Need more of this Scheifele

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Biggest difference IMO:

Scheifele played like a #2 centre and dominated his matchups. If he plays like this all year, the Jets win a bunch.

Two possession positive lines that produce is huge. LLGooch were very good again too vs toughs.

This line was Halischuk/Scheif/Frolic all night? Sounds like a pretty speedy line and not our regular 3rd 'checking' line.

Would these have been more sheltered minutes?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Well if you want to know what statistically looks different:

BYR84xoCcAE7L40.jpg:large

big difference...

So we had lots of shots that didn't miss the net? That should be something relatively easy to continue to do?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Sorry for creating a thread and abondoning it, I missed all but the last few minutes of the game and then wondered what the immediate thoughts were regarding how we won.

Sounds like the differences were a combination of:
  • Speed
  • Chemistry of 3rd line
  • Montoya's play
  • Lots of non-missed shots

How was line juggling?

KingSalamon

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think the main reasons we won the game are as follows:

1 - 2 on 0 when Buff fell over and Monty made the save.
2 - Detroit looked tired... perhaps they took their foot off the gas last night.
3 - Solid effort by the team... the overall team did a good job out there.

Last thing... Ellerby was invisible out there... for his first game of the season, that's a perfect game! Mind you, Detroit didn't really try to force the tempo a whole lot.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Biggest difference IMO:

Agree about Scheif. Said it in PGT, that's how I envisioned him to be at the beginning of the year. Finding that open man. That's how I was hoping he would be with Kane and Seto.

Yea weird for me with this topic. I have my players I like and my players I don't care for on the Jets but I watch them all the same way always hoping for the best. Why is it with Mark I feel like I am watching my son at a Tim Horton's game or something? Its always different when he plays well I feel like a proud parent.........weird. That being said that line looked great together so let’s dig a bit deeper as to why.

first off I get it the Wings were really flat last night and that was a huge factor but I thought this line looked good against the Hawks as well.

I will start with the fact that all three guys play very responsible defense and that his huge.

Halischuk is under rated and underappreciated. The amount of times this guy comes back hard and gets in position to break up plays or gets his stick into passing lanes is unreal. Subtle but so important to the success of this line. Kudos to our much maligned coach for playing him out of position on the left wing. Very happy he was rewarded with a goal.

Fro is special and this was a very good acquisition. He comes as advertized by the Chicago fan base, unbelievable motor that never quits and plays a really good 200 foot game. At the end of the day any points are a bonus off the 3rd line but he currently has 9 points in 16 games which would translate to 46 points over an 82 game schedule. That is probably not a sustainable pace off a pure 3rd line but before we write off "the pace" it’s important to remember he is still a young man and when he started in Florida (where he played a more balanced role) he had back to back seasons of 45 and 43 points.

My son Mark. I think this 3rd line is custom made for him. The line is so responsible defensively that it allows Mark a little more room to take some chances. With Kane and Seto they are going to attack so Mark has to lay back more to balance the line. With Fro and Hustle Mark knows someone is going to be back or bust it to get back so Scheif is free to play a half and half game where he can go get some. As I have been preaching this is going to be an up and down year for Mark and it’s important to temper expectations and focus on progress not perfection. He is playing a really responsible game and he is flashing his high end skills from time to time and for me that is what I expect for now. As long as he stays healthy I do expect to see him continue to grow in the faceoff dot and in his PPG output.

This could end up being a really safe and productive 3rd line which would take pressure off both the top 2 lines to produce. More of a poor man’s Boston approach.

Anyways it was a very good night for this group even though they caught a flat team I think we can count on this line to play a very clean defensive game night in and night out and chip in once in a while to help with the scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad