What did the jets do different tonight?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I know there's a post game thread, I missed the game and wanted to hear just the opinions of people on what the jets did different tonight as compared to the past couple of weeks.

Why was 55 so effective?
Was Monty good?
Same system?

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
They scored more goals than the opposing team. That's what.

I don't know that we should make a huge deal out of it, except Chicago we should've came out on top the last few games.

Puckschmuck*

They played a slightly less elite team and had slightly less bad luck.

So in other words, they really didn't play any differently and you are still not impressed, right?

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
c'mon strongeer, back me up, It's his fault, right?!!!

This is one of those games where Noel got out of the players way IMO. He rarely, if ever, makes the team better. He just gets the team where they should be. Tonight, our quick players played with speed, and got shots on goal like they should.

So although we won, I'm still not high on Claude.

Captain Willard

Jan 5, 2012
For a bit there it looked like the Wings were going to steal one with Howard flashing the leather like a demon and that fluke that went off Clitsome's skate. I think they were better at not collapsing quite so much in front of their own net and pressuring the points better although there were a couple of times they were bogging down in their own end, just not nearly as often. They have shown steady improvement as well in terms of battling for the puck. That was something that they weren't doing at all at the start of the season. Is Evander Kane picking on Schiefle or something? You know like maybe Kane's saying if you get any assists or goals I'll punch you out after the game punk;)

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
So in other words, they really didn't play any differently and you are still not impressed, right?

Exactly the opposite. I've been hugely impressed with them for the last three games (a bit less with Chicago obviously). That's been the point of nearly every post I've made. This is a great team we've got but some people seem to be so eager to trash them that they don't notice that we're consistently playing the best teams evenly and that we've got some pretty amazing offensive jump (if not finish ... yet). This is a much better team than we've had up to now. The result has to be positive in the long run.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
They definitely did things differently. Tracking players through the defensive zone was a huge step up. Their neutral zone play was fantastic, it seemed as though we switched to man to man instead of zone play. I also noticed our D-men were using proper gap control. Also the timing on offensive play, going to the front of the net for rebounds, screening the goalie, was lightyears ahead of anything I've seen out of this group. I also like the new breakouts they're doing, lots of one-touch passes.

They also seemed to be well prepared for the DRW defensive play (man on man).

This was by far the best game in a long time if not ever. They also seem to play much better in front of Montoya.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
They played like they have for the last 5-6 games, good enough to win.

It was really refreshing to see fewer turnovers just inside the opposition blueline and cough-ups in their own end. There also seems to be a greater sense of calm when Montoya is in goal, and it goes beyond his puckhandling ability and rebound control.

Detroit played very crappy, but that's not taking anything away from this Jets. This could have been an 8-2 steamrolling if it weren't for Howard.

They definitely did things differently. Tracking players through the defensive zone was a huge step up. Their neutral zone play was fantastic, it seemed as though we switched to man to man instead of zone play. I also noticed our D-men were using proper gap control. Also the timing on offensive play, going to the front of the net for rebounds, screening the goalie, was lightyears ahead of anything I've seen out of this group. I also like the new breakouts they're doing, lots of one-touch passes.

They also seemed to be well prepared for the DRW defensive play (man on man).

This was by far the best game in a long time if not ever. They also seem to play much better in front of Montoya.

They played more 1-4 (4 across the blueline) than I've seen all season, with maybe the exception of the game in Dallas.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It has to do with Kane being out of the lineup. We should trade Kane obviously as he sucks.

Kane and Redmond to VAN
for
Kesler and Horvat

jk of course ;) but really tho, I love Kane but guys don't click with him. Jets should pair him with Peluso and Thor and he'd still score 25 goals as it doesn't matter who plays with him ;)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well if you want to know what statistically looks different:

BYR84xoCcAE7L40.jpg:large

big difference...

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
This team has always looked amazing when they're utilizing their speed. I guess it was much more noticeable against an older/tired Wings team.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Biggest difference IMO:

Scheifele played like a #2 centre and dominated his matchups. If he plays like this all year, the Jets win a bunch.

Two possession positive lines that produce is huge. LLGooch were very good again too vs toughs.

Goaltender was also strong.

Biggest difference was the Scheifele line though.

bazaaa*

Biggest difference IMO:

Scheifele played like a #2 centre and dominated his matchups. If he plays like this all year, the Jets win a bunch.

Two possession positive lines that produce is huge. LLGooch were very good again too vs toughs.

Goaltender was also strong.

Biggest difference was the Scheifele line though.

Agree about Scheif. Said it in PGT, that's how I envisioned him to be at the beginning of the year. Finding that open man. That's how I was hoping he would be with Kane and Seto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad