What country is going to win the WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Canada and USA are favourites. Id perhaps side with canada but i dunno.
I think the Czechs will be the dark horses and they have arguagbly the best goaltending in the tourney. They have a good group offensively and Frolik IMO could end up being the MVP of the tournament.

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
I fully expect another Canada/US final.

Americans are very deep and talented, but the Canadians have tons of grit and character and are very well coached. Plus, Canada always plays above there heads at home.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I think you are going to see the medals go to USA, Canada, Czech or Russia in any combination.

espo*

Well,most of these guys i don't get to see play,even a guy like Downie out in the "O"................i don't see his games out west.Pretty hard to just go strictly by what you've read of the players or fans descriptions of them.I like to see each team play one game and then i make my predictions.I know going in the U.S is the favourite and then you hear lot's of other stuff about the talent of the other teams.But i've gotta see em play,and as a team, to make a judgement.After i see the teams play one game i'lll know where i stand and say who i think will take it.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
USA all the way......or Russia.............I'll be pulling for the U.S. myself........

Transported Upstater

I think the United States has the best team, but we're not used to being the favorites in an international tourney.

IMO, Either Canada, Czech Republic, United States or Russia will win, though Finland should not be underestimated.

This tourney is going to far more interesting than last year's, when you basically knew the outcome of the tournament the moment it started.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wow....we got a lot of people who are praying here. It will be too much for such an inexperienced Canadian team to win.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
Please no homerism. Try to be objective.

Canada and Finland share the gold, after Rask/Pogge refuse to let in 1 goal all tournament despite each facing 60.3 shots a game.

The Final between Canada/Finland ends a draw after 8 periods/100 penalty shots fail to decide it. Toronto then flips Rask (hey he's further away from the NHL) to the Penguin and Capitals for Ovechkin and Crosby (the two teams share Rask's services for a determined amount of games) per year.

GPF

US Bandwagon
Oct 22, 2004
Barcelona, Spain
US. I saw a prediction on TSN and I must say that was a homer propaganda show. Excuse me but this Canada roster is - compared to other years - a silly joke (see last years).

US looks like a Junior-All-Star-Team .. clearly USA !

or maybe a european team .. more precisely the Czechs

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hockeycanada said:
I predict Canada, Russia, and US will win medals. Which medals they win I do not know, although I will be cheering for Canada as usual.

Agreed, I like USA for the Gold, Russia for the Silver, and Canada for the Bronze. IMO Canada's team is quite underrated by some although they aren't as stacked as the US team.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
GPF said:
US. I saw a prediction on TSN and I must say that was a homer propaganda show. Excuse me but this Canada roster is - compared to other years - a silly joke (see last years).

US looks like a Junior-All-Star-Team .. clearly USA !

or maybe a european team .. more precisely the Czechs

To be fair, no team in this tournament could stack up to last years Canadian team.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
To be fair, no team in this tournament could stack up to last years Canadian team

As a relatively new fan to the Junior game (last 5-6 years), I'm unaware of such facts but, has there even been a junior team as dominating/good as that one?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
canada_65613.jpg

GO CANADA GO

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Platapie said:
As a relatively new fan to the Junior game (last 5-6 years), I'm unaware of such facts but, has there even been a junior team as dominating/good as that one?

The Soviet/Russian team or whatever it was the year Bure-Federov-Mogilny played. The Swedish team of Foresberg's day.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Platapie said:

My vote would be 1995 Red Deer

Team Canada was the beneficiary of the NHL lockout of 1994-95, as many players who would normally not be made available to the national junior team donned the red-and-white in Red Deer.

With so much talent on hand, Canada cruised to a perfect 7-0-0 record, blitzing opponents by scoring at least four goals in every game. It helped that the rest of the field was fairly weak in 1995, as none of the European teams would come close to matching Canada's offensive prowess.

In fact, the best non-Canadian in the tournament in terms of future success was Adam Deadmarsh, who scored 10 points for the fifth place Americans.

Thanks to the NHL lockout, Alexandre Daigle was back after a one year hiatus and he was one of five Canadians to reach double-digits in scoring. Marty Murray and Jason Allison led the way with 15 points, while Eric Daze paced the club with eight goals.

Defenceman Bryan McCabe was also an offensive force, scoring 12 points.

Despite the presence of McCabe, Ed Jovanovski, Wade Redden and Nolan Baumgartner, Canada's defence corps was very average compared to its attack. Goaltenders Jamie Storr and Dan Cloutier, both first round NHL picks, coughed up 22 goals.
In total, there were 13 first round NHL picks on the 1995 Canadian team, including eight from the class of 1994.

When the dust settled, Marty Murray was named the tournament's top forward and McCabe was the top defenceman. Canada counted four of the six all-star berths, with Allison and Daze joining Murray and McCabe.

The gold medal victory made it three in a row for Canada, which would eventually run that streak to five.

http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature.asp?fid=1045

This team was loaded with future Leafs Jason Allison, Bryan McCabe, Darcy Tucker, Jeff O'Neill :)

Steve466

Apr 21, 2005
If Malkin is there I think the Russians will be too powerful. And if they could win gold with that manatee in net a few years ago, they should be fine now.
Only way I see Canada winning is if Pogge puts himself in the same category as Denis, Legace and Luongo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad