NCAA: What colleges are you a fan of and why?

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
UF-Alum and now season ticket holder/booster. My grandfather also graduated from there and took me to a game when I was a kid(where I got sick from the heat before kickoff and we went to the campus bookstore for some gear instead :laugh:). My brother and I drive up to Jacksonville every year for the UGA game and we also go to one road game a year. We'll go to the SECCG if they make it and usually a bowl game depending on where it's played.

Michigan-My dad is from there and roots for them so I rooted for them through my childhood. I still hope for them to do well but I'm not as much of a fan as I was growing up. I'll still watch their games via DVR or Youtube if I'm not home for them so I can talk about them with my dad.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
ASU - grew up there

FSU - Huge fan of Charlie Ward and a bunch of my friends are from there

Michigan State - Got lots of respect for Dantonio.

I really enjoy smaller schools beyond that. There's ironically probably a lot more teams in college that I despise vs like.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
ASU - grew up there

FSU - Huge fan of Charlie Ward and a bunch of my friends are from there

Michigan State - Got lots of respect for Dantonio.

I really enjoy smaller schools beyond that. There's ironically probably a lot more teams in college that I despise vs like.

The one time a year GameDay goes to an FCS school is usually the most entertaining show of the year by far.

The Harvard//Yale one two years ago was all kinds of epic, and James Madison last year was also incredible.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Ohio State-born in Parma, OH. Even though I only lived in Ohio for 6 months, I've been a Buckeye fan as long as I can remember. And I can remember back to Art Schlister. Ended up in Columbus 10 years ago, full circle I suppose.

San Jose State-That's where I graduated. When I was in college, actually finished in the top 25, and they were legit. Probably a top 10-15 team that year. Finished 9-2-1, losing at eventual #5 Washington by 3, losing by 1 at Cal and tying at eventual #14 Louisville.

Other than that, I tend to like teams that are interesting to watch or have some sort of connection to either tOSU or SJSU. Like now, I like Houston because of Tom Herman and Colorado because of coach MacIntyre.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I'm the same way, especially when it comes to FCS schools.

Outside of the handful of schools I have soft spots for I generally loathe about 80% of the power conference schools.

M WINGS

Jul 3, 2016
minnesota
The University of Michigan
I grew up 15 miles from Ann Arbor
I bleed Blue
Notre Dame
My fathers family was split for ND/Michigan
I have always liked ND, the only time I cheer against them is when they play the Wolverines

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
ECU also has excellent dorms. I mean, it *TOTALLY* doesn't look like a prison inside Scott Hall :laugh:

ecu-scott-residence-hall-328.jpg

25f4c51345aae9e37fdedec4489c0ef1.jpg

p328142834-3.jpg

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Univ. of South Florida, alumni.

But also as a kid growing up in FL you kinda always pick between Florida and Florida St. I picked Fl.St. way back when I was little because I liked their colors more and my pops rooted for them. So I root for them as my "major conference" team.

I also like Notre Dame because the history of the program, the fact they show every game each week on NBC, and the movie Rudy lol (although I did hear Rudy is kinda an ass in real life).

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
ECU also has excellent dorms. I mean, it *TOTALLY* doesn't look like a prison inside Scott Hall :laugh:

Meh, add a pool in the middle and it looks like a a couple of all-inclusive resorts I've been to. I mean, there probably isn't the ocean and two other pools behind the person taking the photo, but you get my point. :laugh:

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Big Rutgers fan. When I was 12 we moved from NJ to PA and was missing NJ. So I thought I'd keep a piece of NJ with me by following Rutgers BBall and football. Then when 06 came around (Best year in decades) I became a huge follower and have stuck on ever since.

I mostly stick to following B1G schools and have a soft spot for Iowa and Iowa St. Reason being I was never into college football until I saw them play each other. More of a nostalgic feeling

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Oregon - Alumnus. And I timed it right to arrive on campus right after Joey Harrington and right before Lamichael James so I got to enjoy Brady Leaf in all his glory.

F L Y E R S

Orange & Black
Aug 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
teamtunnel_3.jpg

"We only watch one team in this house" My dad, and most of my family, are Notre Dame fans. That's the biggest reason why I became a fan since I was a little guy. I've been to a few games in South Bend, Indiana with my dad and cousins. Loved the atmosphere. I grew up in a Irish Catholic neighborhood in South Philly with tons of fans, so that also helped. Then I watched 'Rudy' with that amazing soundtrack. Made me an even bigger fan. I catch flack, here and there, from the local Penn State diehards. The usual "Did you even go there? Do you even have a family member that attended?" I just laugh and go "that's my team through thick and thin."

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
lol

Yeah it was very tough game to watch, in a bar packed with ND fans. You could hear a pin drop. Still proud of that 12' season. They ran into a juggernaut dynasty.

I could be mistaken, but I believe tOSU could have played you instead of UA had they decided to take their Bowl ban the following year. IIRC, they were given a choice as to which year they wanted their ban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad