Music: What are your three favorite cover songs?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Faith no More - War Pigs
Marilyn Manson - Cry Little Sister
A Perfect Circle - Imagine

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Klaus Nomi - Cold Song (Purcell) - An absolutely tragic performance, a philippic into emptiness, only to recede quietly before death.
Southbound Freeway - Roll With It (Steve Miller Band) - A more high-spirited and rolling rendition with a sax that squeezes.
Buddy Morrow - Night Train (Jimmy Forrest) - The prototypical raunch rendition.

Reactions: Elvis P

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Hurt-Johnny Cash
Susan When She Tried-Elvis Presley
Southern Cross-Jimmy Buffett

My Best-Carey

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I Am the Walrus--Oasis (The Beatles)
Feel a Whole Lot Better When You Are Gone--Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (The Byrds)
Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You--Led Zeppelin (Joan Baez)

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
ozzy osbourne-sympton of the universe
kim carnes-bette davis eyes
gary moore-please don't let me be misunderstood

SabrePL

Somewhere in Poland
Jul 1, 2021
War Pigs - Faith No More.
Knocking on Heavens Door - Gn'R
When a Blind Man Cries - Metallica
And bonus:
Another Brick in the Wall - Acid Dinkers

hyd3nSeek

Dec 27, 2020
Finland
Not really a fan of covers in general but sometimes I find myself digging some covers.
Top 3 is probably changing weekly on this one.

Benny Sings - Dancing in the dark. I like the different vibe that he brought here.
Iron and Wine - This must be the place. Iron and wine has some nice covers
James Blake - First time ever I saw your face. Also his Sound of silence cover is nice

Being a Mike Patton fan FNM- Easy is probably the easy go to answer but it's a bit boring choice.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Being a Mike Patton fan FNM- Easy is probably the easy go to answer but it's a bit boring choice.

I usually whine about that choice, because I don't think FNM added anything to the original; the vocal phrasing, the instrumentation... It's all pretty much the same as with the Commodores; they left out the 2nd verse, and that was about the only difference.

Now here are covers that are miles better than the original:

(Better mostly because Hetfield's rhythm guitar playing is so much tighter/stronger than Brian Tatler's in the fast section)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hippasus

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I usually whine about that choice, because I don't think FNM added anything to the original; the vocal phrasing, the instrumentation... It's all pretty much the same as with the Commodors; they left out the 2nd verse, and that was about the only difference.
It's the music video that sold it to the people:

It got soooo much airplay on MTV Europe.

hyd3nSeek

Dec 27, 2020
Finland
I usually whine about that choice, because I don't think FNM added anything to the original; the vocal phrasing, the instrumentation... It's all pretty much the same as with the Commodors; they left out the 2nd verse, and that was about the only difference.
Like I said I'm Patton fan so I'm biased. I think the tone of the FNM cover more laid back and tongue in cheek and it usually brings me to good mood. So if I personally have to choose my favourite covers it's definately there even it's not the best. It's more about my own memories with it and emotional reaction if that makes any sense.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

I'm the biggest Patton groupie there is, and I'm really not much of a fan of this one. Patton's best covers - to me - are these two (and not easy songs to cover):

(Can't hear Al Green now without expecting him to burst out)

(to me better than the cover by Scott Walker, and with better - and brilliant - respect to Jacques Brel, even though Patton's French is here terrible, he did better on the Gainsbourg cover, but the result is not as good)

Also, well, the whole Mondo Cane album is made up of great covers (Urlo Negro is my favorite one). Sex (I'm A) on Lovage is kind of fun and certainly better than the original (but I got tired of it), and the Dillinger Escape Plan take on Like I Love You is pure candy (the live one with Patton... the recorded one with Puciato is pretty lame).

hyd3nSeek

Dec 27, 2020
Finland
Also, well, the whole Mondo Cane album is made up of great covers (Urlo Negro is my favorite one). Sex (I'm A) on Lovage is kind of fun and certainly better than the original (but I got tired of it), and the Dillinger Escape Plan take on Like I Love You is pure candy (the live one with Patton... the recorded one with Puciato is pretty lame).
Yeah I love those too. Didn't actually know that Lovage song was a cover and that's one of my favourites from that album.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad