What are your play-off predictions?

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
We’ve all become dependent on Brock for Pre-Season and Play-Off prediction and so it feels like something’s missing when he isn’t able to produce one. Heck there’s more talk on the boards about the draft then the play-offs so let’s get off our collective buts and start something.

Unfortunately, my work has the HFNHL site blocked (though I can get to the boards – go figure) so I can’t check stats like head to head match-ups or even injuries etc. I don’t even know who won the first games yesterday since my email also blocks the league announcements. Regardless here’s my uninformed ‘from the gut’ predictions and I invite everyone else to chime in with theirs.

Eastern Conference
Florida (1) vs. Montreal (8)
Prediction Panthers in 5 - While I have no problem picking an underdog there’s no series I feel more confident in the favorite winning than this one. Florida’s fate after round 1 I wasn’t as confident about ;)

Ottawa (2) vs. Boston (7)
Prediction Sens in 6 – Hard to rule Boston out especially since they found some lightning in a bottle in the tail half of the year surged from about the 10/11 spot in the East up to 7th. That said my hunch is that Ottawa will still prevail in six.

Philadelphia (3) vs. New York (6)
Prediction Islanders in 6 – There is no logical reason for this I know but sometimes reality isn’t logical. This was a pure gut feel call on my part.

Buffalo (4) vs. Carolina (5)
Prediction Canes in 7 – This was as tough a call as they get. Buffalo has possibly the best play-off record in the HFNHL and are still a strong team on paper. That said I was one of the few that didn’t think Carolina’s play earlier this year was as much a shocker as most. Truth is I liked this team for this Sim and the line combinations that were being used at the time and so think this series goes seven. Whether I’m right on Carolina to win game 7 or not is yet to be seen.

Western Conference
Anaheim (1) vs. Detroit (8)
Prediction Ducks in 7 – So this is the only one that differs from my pool submission. In that case picked Detroit b/c I assumed bad luck would have me win a single round and have to give Rich my second rounder as part of a conditional trade and then be promptly ousted. There’s many reasons to believe Anaheim will prevail amongst them is that Detroit has been horrible on the road all year.

Nashville (2) vs. St. Louis (7)
Prediction Preds in 7 – Yes another 7 game series. Without the psychological effects of the President’s Trophy worries the Blues should be more focused and a tougher opponent than usual but I like the way the Preds have played this year. To come out on top of the brutal Central division shows they’ve got things right.

Vancouver (3) vs. Chicago (6)
Prediction Chicago in 5 – Don’t ask why but I’ve actually picked the Hawks to win the Cup this year (you’re now jinxed Dryden). While it would be easy to argue a longer series and/or the Canucks winning this is another pure gut feeling prediction again.

Columbus (4) vs. Los Angeles (5)
Prediction Jackets in 6 – It’s tough to judge the Jackets with GM Emerson’s ADD. He loves to fiddle with his rosters (through trade) and lineups so it’s always changing for reasons not always obvious to me. That said the Kings are young and inexperienced and, well, Doug can’t screw things up every time ;)

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Same except I got BUF, PHI and L.A different.

I'll be bold and post my whole thing.

Western Conference

1st Round

Anaheim
Nashville
Chicago
Los Angeles

2nd Round

Anaheim
Nashville

3rd Round

Nashville

Eastern Conference

1st Round

Florida
Ottawa
Philadelphia
Buffalo

2nd Round

Buffalo
Philadelphia

3rd Round

Buffalo

Stanley Cup

Nashville

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Eastern Conference
Florida (1) vs. Montreal (8)
Prediction Panthers in 7 - Montreal is a dangerous lineup - and only going to get more dangerous in the years to come. Scary. But Brock holds them off to regain home ice and take the series. I picked the Panthers to come out of the East way back at the start of the season, and see no reason to change that prediction now.

Ottawa (2) vs. Boston (7)
Prediction Sens in 5 – The magic in Boston will wear off against a dominating veteran lineup.

Philadelphia (3) vs. New York (6)
Prediction Flyers in 5 – I actually think the Isles should be favoured in this matchup, but something tells me the Flyers' string of good fortune (and Stamkos) will carry them through this round. Next round is another story...

Buffalo (4) vs. Carolina (5)
Prediction Buffalo in 6 – It looks like Carolina was one of the teams to suffer worst from deadline additions - they seemed to really throw off the Canes' chemistry. Buffalo swapped Miller for Luongo, but seemed to play pretty consistently throughout. Much as I'd like to see the cinderella Canes' incredible season continue (especially at the expense of my nemesis in Buffalo!), I think the Sabres' strength throughout the lineup carries the day.

Western Conference
Prediction Ducks in 6 – However you slice it, this one will be an upset - of the defending Cup Champs, or yet another President's Trophy winner. I picked Anaheim to make it to the Final at the start of the year - their team is too solid and consistent through and through, and their limited deadline activity helped provide depth without compromising morale. The Ducks are not invulnerable, but not even the Great Bufu will enable the shallow (and injury-depleted) Wings to further their journey to repeat. Too bad - I'd have loved to see an All-Central Division second round! But this may well be the goaltending matchup of the playoffs, right here in the first round, with Sweden and Finland dueling for dominance.

Nashville (2) vs. St. Louis (7)
Prediction Preds in 6 – Both teams are clicking in all the right ways right now, but the strength of the Blues' roster is on their blueline, which the sim undervalues this season. Both GMs deserve to advance, but Thomas versus Howard should sway the battle in Nashville's favour.

Vancouver (3) vs. Chicago (6)
Prediction Vancouver in 7 – I see this one going the distance as the teams are evenly matched in a lot of respects, but I think the Canucks' playoff experience and firepower up front will carry the day.

Prediction Jackets in 7 – Apparently I have ADD (doesn't bode well for my players!), while the Kings are an up-and-coming squad that has benefitted from adding a few former Blue Jackets to the roster. However, I think in the long run the method behind my roster madness will let Columbus squeak through a series that should be very close indeed. Hooray for playoff gates![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Prediction Jackets in 7 – Apparently I have ADD (doesn't bode well for my players!), while the Kings are an up-and-coming squad that has benefitted from adding a few former Blue Jackets to the roster. However, I think in the long run the method behind my roster madness will let Columbus squeak through a series that should be very close indeed. Hooray for playoff gates!

I hope so. I just got my ass kicked!

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Prediction Ducks in 6 ... this may well be the goaltending matchup of the playoffs, right here in the first round, with Sweden and Finland dueling for dominance.

Last night truly was and should be for the series. Both goalies faced a ton of shots (35 vs. 36) and yet it was a tight 2-1 score in the end. I suspect we'll see a few more of these.

BTW you kept mentioning morale and how teams were playing heading into the play-offs as a factor for your play-of predictions. I haven't checked but I'm assuming morale reset for the play-offs as it has in the past.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
BTW you kept mentioning morale and how teams were playing heading into the play-offs as a factor for your play-of predictions. I haven't checked but I'm assuming morale reset for the play-offs as it has in the past.

I don't recall what happened in past years, but morale (both individual and team) carried over from the regular season this year, giving an edge to teams that came into the playoffs on a hot streak.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
penguins in NHl was in a hot streak before taking on flyers yesterday........ and they have Malkin , Crosby,Letang, fleury, Staal......:sarcasm: I think in the NHL the sim is not working well too....

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
I don't recall what happened in past years, but morale (both individual and team) carried over from the regular season this year, giving an edge to teams that came into the playoffs on a hot streak.

Interesting and good to know (darn I hate the fact I can't look anything from HFNHL.com from work). I was fairly certain I remembered it resetting last year and had assumed the same to start this year. Obviously I was wrong .. maybe it was two years back under a prior version.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
This Gentlemen is why I don't place any real money on these things.

While I got 3 of 4 right in the East, I only picked Nashville correctly in the West. The old dart board would have been as accurate :shakehead

I'd post second round predictions ... but why embarass myself further.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'll post the results of the playoff pool after round one later today.

I don't think it'll be pretty. From memory most people (if not all) had the Panthers, Ducks, and Blue Jackets winning the cup. Ironically, I think there may have been a few votes for the Flyers and Sabres too...lol

Sounds like it'll be a "let the worst man win."

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I only got 2 of the 8 series right. :help:

I also don't have either of the 2 (Ottawa & Vancouver) winning it all, so I'd say my bracket is all the way toast.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I don't think it'll be pretty. From memory most people (if not all) had the Panthers, Ducks, and Blue Jackets winning the cup. Ironically, I think there may have been a few votes for the Flyers and Sabres too...lol
"

Mine certainly isn't pretty. However my 3/8 might be looking the prettiest - I have both my finalists (Nash & Caro) still in it.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Mine certainly isn't pretty. However my 3/8 might be looking the prettiest - I have both my finalists (Nash & Caro) still in it.

I'm 3 for 8, and that's with calling both the Kings and Islanders "upsets"! I also had Nashville coming out of the West, but I'm pooched given your finalists, as I had them facing the Panthers.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007

You might indeed be able to win with that as I had Chicago and Carolina as the finalists (Chicago winning) so you are better positioned than I for the more valuable later games.

For the first round I had one difference in my brackets than was posted here which brings me to 5 of 8. As I noted in the thread I had picked the Wings to win over the Ducks in the pool only for me to then be trounced by Nashville in round 2. That wasn't a homer pick in fact it was one of assumed bad fortune - by making the 2nd round I had to give Jersey my 2nd rounder as part of a conditional deal. Hopefully I can at least put up a fight against Nashville and get the extra gate in game 6.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad