What are your hopes/expectations for crosby this season?

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hope he wins an Art Ross and leads this team to a Stanley Cup.

But I fully expect the KCD line to be reunited after injuries to all our key wingers.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think both him and Malkin will flirt with 100 points. Then excuses will be made to not give them the Hart because of each other... Then the Hart will go to Benn or Seguin.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Realistically: If healthy.
Top 2 for the Art Ross.
95-100 pts
Hart if he breaks 100 pts/only player to do so.

To put it in perspective. He almost won the AR last year with 5 less games played than the 2 above him, barely any skill on his wings(until Perron came), alot of slumps, with a poor PP.

Last edited:

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Honestly.

30 goals would be nice
60 assists

For 90 points with his solid d playing

Yeah this sounds reasonable if he faces the top pairings of other teams often. But then again he put up over 100 even with Bylsma giving him the top d matchups often.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Honestly, if everything goes right and him and Kessel gel, 100+pts for him and 80+ for Phil isn't unreasonable.

How the points break down? Meh. I couldn't care less if sid scores 1 goal and 99 assist's if Phil has 65 goals. Sure balance is better but as long as someone on the line is scoring and the other is setting up, I don't care who scores.

My two biggest hopes for the season are:

1) the defense isn't a huge liability. Just play decent smart hockey. No fancy stuff. Simple game.

2) we need, oh how we need, some injury luck this year. It's been 3 or 4 years straight of constant injuries. We need the team to stay healthy for a change.

If both those things happen, I don't see why we can't contend for the cup.

....in before shingles hits the dressing room

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah this sounds reasonable if he faces the top pairings of other teams often. But then again he put up over 100 even with Bylsma giving him the top d matchups often.

Yeah... I'd say that's the most realistic expectation. Around 30 goals and 90 points. Which is likely enough to merit an Art Ross in this trash heap league. Having Kessel and improved offensive depth will help him but, I mean... you can only do so much when the entire league is bound and determined to drag the game (and the star players) into the muck.

Nobody asked but Malkin will be lucky to stay at a PPG and make it through 60ish games. I seriously doubt that he'll be "flirting" with 100 points. This isn't four years ago. Crosby maybe. Not Malkin.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The one thing that worries me a little is that Crosby's PPG total fell off some last year.

He always has been waaaay above everyone else, even in years when injured. Malkin was always second, but the gap was large between the two.

But last year he fell back to only 1.09 PPG. The year before he had been 1.30 PPG. The year before that 1.56 PPG. The year before that 1.68 PPG.

See the trend?

Kessel riding shotgun should help of course. And to be fair the trends in scoring for everyone have gone down each of those years, not just Crosby. By next year someone putting up 50 points likely wins the Art Ross Trophy. But still.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The one thing that worries me a little is that Crosby's PPG total fell off some last year.

He always has been waaaay above everyone else, even in years when injured. Malkin was always second, but the gap was large between the two.

But last year he fell back to only 1.09 PPG. The year before he had been 1.30 PPG. The year before that 1.56 PPG. The year before that 1.68 PPG.

See the trend?

Kessel riding shotgun should help of course. And to be fair the trends in scoring for everyone have gone down each of those years, not just Crosby. By next year someone putting up 50 points likely wins the Art Ross Trophy. But still.

The mumps absolutely hurt his production last year too. Not just him, but a lot of people around the league.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It looked like he just got tired of carrying grinders and plugs. He looked pretty good to me down the stretch. Our best player in the playoffs by a mile.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Sid should get at least one over all of his career highs...

52 Goals
87 Assists

It would be great to see him be the first to break the 130 point mark since Mario. He did 120 in his sophomore season and no one can say he has ever had more help than this year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sid should get at least one over all of his career highs...

52 Goals
87 Assists

It would be great to see him be the first to break the 130 point mark since Mario. He did 120 in his sophomore season and no one can say he has ever had more help than this year.

It was much easier to score in his sophomore season. Breaking 130 without a change in the way the game is called would be absolutely amazing. If scoring is similar to last year, 110 points would easily be more impressive than his 120 sophomore season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wish I possessed even a 1/10th of some of this sweet, sweet optimism.

Look what direction the league has been trending. They love the parity. They love the idea of slowing the game down in a wrongheaded attempt to stem the tide of head injuries. This sounds tin-foil-hatty... but they want to basically drag everyone down onto the same mediocre plane.

Crosby is still the best in the league but he isn't going to be besting the majority of the field by 40-50 points. Come on. I WISH it were the mumps that somehow threw the entire league into sub-90-point-Art-Ross-winner disarray. But it wasn't.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
100+ points and winning the art ross. Fair or not that is always my expectation for him as long as he's in his prime.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

See the trend?

He played in very few games in his 1.68 PPG season and his 1.56 PPG season (22 and 36 respectively) and had injury/illness issues and a slumping team last year. It's extremely dishonest to not look at that stuff in context. He had an unsustainable PPG in 11-12 and 12-13 and dealt with the mumps and a heavily slumping team last year. His 13-14 season is what we should expect over a full season, like 35 goals and 105 points.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Hope: he doesn't get hurt seriously and plays at least 75 games in the regular season.

Hope: no one whose name begins with K and ends with unitz plays on the same line or PP unit, ever.

Expect: he'll flourish (provided he doesn't get hurt) if Kessel is on his line.

Expect: second hope will be dashed by game 5.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I wish I possessed even a 1/10th of some of this sweet, sweet optimism.

Look what direction the league has been trending. They love the parity. They love the idea of slowing the game down in a wrongheaded attempt to stem the tide of head injuries. This sounds tin-foil-hatty... but they want to basically drag everyone down onto the same mediocre plane.

NBC isn't happy, though. Not. One. Bit. The playoffs did open up considerably after they saw the ratings and took their objections to Bettman. Ratings are money and the SC Playoff ratings were real, real, real bad. Bowling bad.

I think the NHL will have a little more scoring next year. Some token encouragement to call a few more stick fouls or something. It won't be enough, but it is what it is. If the ratings are still bad, next summer, you're going to start seeing more radical ideas to increase scoring being legitimately considered.

NHL is always 5 years late to do something about any given problem. I'd put us in year 3.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
NBC isn't happy, though. Not. One. Bit. The playoffs did open up considerably after they saw the ratings and took their objections to Bettman. Ratings are money and the SC Playoff ratings were real, real, real bad. Bowling bad.

I think the NHL will have a little more scoring next year. Some token encouragement to call a few more stick fouls or something. It won't be enough, but it is what it is. If the ratings are still bad, next summer, you're going to start seeing more radical ideas to increase scoring being legitimately considered.

NHL is always 5 years late to do something about any given problem. I'd put us in year 3.

I think in some other thread I semi-jokingly said Kessel would only score 20 but would lead the league. At best, if there is any change in calls, it will last a couple weeks in October, and then we'll regress back to DPE 2.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

That all sounds reasonable (and I actually had you at least partly in mind while composing that post) but we still are going to be largely where we are next season. We've seen this fish, before. And somewhat recently, even. By the time the NHL decides it's time to do something about their mostly-**** product... it's going to be the likely twilight of Crosby's career. A shame.

You have put together several very good posts about why the league has largely found itself in this predicament. So you know as well as I do that it will take at least several more years (and executive hirings/firings. EDIT: And perhaps another lockout?) to get the wheels moving.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
call me crazy but i feel like crosby and kessel can overcome some league wide trends

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: