Line Combos: What are the MTL Canadiens' greatest needs to become a Stanley Cup-winning team? by Priority.

What are the MTL Canadiens' greatest needs to become a Stanley Cup-winning team? by Priority.

• 1) #1 Center

Votes: 169 53.3%
  • 2) Goal Scorer

Votes: 74 23.3%
  • 3) Power Forward

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • 4) Offensive QB

Votes: 83 26.2%
  • 5) RD

Votes: 24 7.6%
  • 6)#1 Goalie

Votes: 147 46.4%

• Total voters

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think a better question to ask is what are the current needs to make us a playoff team. I think only then once we've started trying to win 16 games in May/June can we pinpoint the greatest need(s) to put us over the top. I'm trying to think of teams who got back into the post season after missing out for a number of years and went on to win it all.

Last edited:

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I think with the right goalie this team is going to see a shift sooner rather than later.

They are soon going to be ridding themselves of veteran guys for youth. They did this year and will over the next two years. I get excited not about the offense but imagine a true star goalie behind this in the near future.

Hutson Reinbacher
Guhle Mailloux
Xhekaj Barron
Harris Kovacevic

I know they have to all pan out but my god that defense has pretty much everything. Grit, scoring, mobility, shooting, defense, hitting, fight here and there.

Like the offense we know what we have and we will continue to add, but the defense the pieces are literally already there they just need the development. Which is why I believe the right goalie this team is taking off in the next 1-2 years.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think they have needs everywhere, with a lot of potential on defense, some potential at center already in the NHL, some potential at wings in the NHL, a lack of developed high end talent and a lack of goaltending.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I think with the right goalie this team is going to see a shift sooner rather than later.

They are soon going to be ridding themselves of veteran guys for youth. They did this year and will over the next two years. I get excited not about the offense but imagine a true star goalie behind this in the near future.

Hutson Reinbacher
Guhle Mailloux
Xhekaj Barron
Harris Kovacevic

I know they have to all pan out but my god that defense has pretty much everything. Grit, scoring, mobility, shooting, defense, hitting, fight here and there.

Like the offense we know what we have and we will continue to add, but the defense the pieces are literally already there they just need the development. Which is why I believe the right goalie this team is taking off in the next 1-2 years.
I agree with you the defense is very solid. They lacks elite offensive talent (at least 2) and a true #1 goaltender.

a lack of developed high end talent and a lack of goaltending.
Bingo

Reactions: BigHabs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Good consistent goaltending changes everything ..this team simply needs their prospects to continue their positive development slope & trade acquisitions (Dach & Newhook) to continue upward trend similar to the likes of Verhaeghe

Both are likely to occur.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevins

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
They need their guys to develop into potential as they have a great future D.

Need a #1 goalie

Need another good C

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Size on F, Two Centers (ideally #1 or #3, could work with #2 or 3), Experience on D (just the actual D gaining experience would do).

DailyKaizen

Voted Goalie thinking I would be in the massive minority, surprised with the voting results, Suzuki is our number centre and more than competent at that…I guess the question can be misunderstood because it could be interpreted as being framed as…

What is needed from what we have to obtain a SC?

Versus

What is needed from what we don’t have to obtain a SC?

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Nevins

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Duh! Only thing we been needing for last 30 years. Habs can't svore. Need An offensive star. Already costs us 4 or 5 cups. They won't come here. Because of taxes, climate and intense media pressure.

Habs building defense, it's going to be good enough. If Vegas can win Cup with Admin Hill, Monty and Allen good enough.. need big star

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
1) Said it before, I love Suzuki but I'd love it more if he was our #2 C. A lot of people are saying star talent, but anyone who can make Suzuki the #2 C is a star. Two needs, one player.

2) Goalie. I've heard good things about Fowler, haven't seen much of him. I know Vegas just won with Hill, but the idea is to increase the likelihood of winning every year, and a superior talent in net does just that. Doesn't need to be a 10mil guy, but an above average, steady and consistent one is great.

3) Goal Scorer. Caufield 40-50, Suzuki ~30+ after those two it's a bit up in the air what our potential top 6 can do. Dach seems like he can score around 20+ but does he have it in him to get 30? Ditto for Newhook. Slafkovsky is up in the air, is he ~20, 25+, 30+? (Yes I know, he's a bust). Anderson is good for 20-25. Those seem like our future top 6 with the current NHLers (Yes I know, Slaf belongs in the AHL) and unless two of the three become 30 goal scorers, Montreal could certainly use a scorer.

4) Power forward. Anderson is one, hoping Slafkovsky becomes one (Yes I know, he's a bust) and I feel Heineman will provide that element for sure. Hoping Slafkovsky can sort it out, as it's a more talented power forward than Anderson that we need.

5) RD. Reinbacher and Mailloux are my projected top 2 RD, not a difficult projection. Maybe Kovacevic is the long-term answer, but Montreal could use a rock-steady 3rd pairing RD to play PK and thus decent minutes, because Hutson and Mailloux likely won't feature on the PK.

6) QB. Between Hutson and Mailloux I'd say this easily ranks lowest on the priority list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad