Speculation: What are the chances cammy re-ups in calgary?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
What do you think the odds are it happens, and do you think it's a good move either way?

It all depends on the market and his priorities.

The Flames need to spend their money somewhere. They've got a couple of RFAs to sign, but they're going to have to sign at least a couple of UFAs just to hit the cap floor.

Ideally they don't want those UFA contracts to be too long as the money long-term is likely better spent on the Flames own young RFAs like Backlund, Brodie and Monahan.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I say 70/30. We've got a crap ton of money and we need to make it to the floor. He can also be a A. And it seems like Burke always gets what he wants

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think if the Flames can sign a goalie, #1 centre and top 6 RW, then Cammy would consider resigning. Otherwise, I think its a 0% chance he wants to stick around with yet another rebuilding squad. He played for LA, Montreal, and Calgary during their rebuilds

Trae

Calgary
I think our best sales tactic is guaranteeing him playoffs next year. Sign a one year contract with us and we will trade you at the deadline to a contender.

Aug 3, 2010
I think this is what we will likely see if he resigns, a big 1 year deal.

While I understand it's likely the only way for this to happen, I'm worried about the dollar aomunt as the cap is not projected to go very high (to around 69-69m instead of 71+m) mostly due to the Canadian dollar.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I think if the Flames can sign a goalie, #1 centre and top 6 RW, then Cammy would consider resigning. Otherwise, I think its a 0% chance he wants to stick around with yet another rebuilding squad. He played for LA, Montreal, and Calgary during their rebuilds

I think the Flames are fine in goal with Ramo/Ortio.

Bottom line is the Flames are rebuilding whether he stays or not. If he wants less money to play for a winner then he's going to leave.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
While I understand it's likely the only way for this to happen, I'm worried about the dollar aomunt as the cap is not projected to go very high (to around 69-69m instead of 71+m) mostly due to the Canadian dollar.

The Flames are so far under the cap it won't be an issue. They'll have between 25 and 29 million to spend with 17 players already under contract. They'll need to take care of some RFAs too, but that shouldn't cost a fortune.

Bottom line is they need to hand out 1 or 2 big contracts just to hit the floor.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
From my calculations, Cammy has a 47.366914492934% chance of him re-signing here. You heard it here first, folks.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
From our perspective it makes sense. If we sign another FA to Cammy money, then we get all the unknowns that come along with it. How will he play, will he buy in, is he a good locker room guy? We know all those things with Cammy already and the answer is yes to all. Calgary can offer Cammy as good of money as anyone, Burke can say if you play well and we are out of it next year I will find you another team. He likes it here, likes how our team is run, and likes the city. I think there is a definite chance. Of course the major draw back is we are a rebuilding team. I'd say 65/35 he resigns.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I can see why the Flames would want to re-sign him. I can't see why Cammalleri would want to re-sign, especially since he's always emphasized how much he wants to win.

One can rationalize Cammalleri signing a one year deal and then being traded to a contender but that provides neither career security nor is a guarantee of a trade being accomplished, as was the case this year.

The only reason Cammalleri might re-sign here is because the Flames can or will likely pay him more than any other team, save maybe Buffalo. But in that case, the organization's just handcuffing themselves to a one-dimensional, injury prone, aging player.

Mar 1, 2013
Toronto
I don't get the sentiment that he'll sign here and then we can trade him at the deadline. Logic is flawed. Why wouldn't he just sign where he wants?

Aug 3, 2010
The Flames are so far under the cap it won't be an issue. They'll have between 25 and 29 million to spend with 17 players already under contract. They'll need to take care of some RFAs too, but that shouldn't cost a fortune.

Bottom line is they need to hand out 1 or 2 big contracts just to hit the floor.

It's not the Flames' cap I'm worried about.. :facepalm:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's not the Flames' cap I'm worried about.. :facepalm:

I don't think you need to be too worried, though. First of all because at the deadline, the effective salary taken on by a team is only about a quarter of the AAV, and secondly because we can even then retain half of that amount. So if he signs an $8M one-year deal, other teams can still trade for him next year with about $1M of cap space.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't get the sentiment that he'll sign here and then we can trade him at the deadline. Logic is flawed. Why wouldn't he just sign where he wants?

Probably an important thing for a guy like Cammy (I think) is that it takes away having to move this summer, and if he did sign for another team during the off-season, there would be a chance that the season goes badly and he ends up moved again.

Cammy likes the city and the organization, and it may well be worth it to him to first of all have the opportunity to stay here until next deadline, and second of all have a more firm guarantee of going to a certified contender at the deadline as opposed to one where you're guessing before the season even begins.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Well, hypothetically it would guarantee him a spot on a playoff team.

This is true. Take Alfredsson for example. He just might miss the playoffs. Likewise with Jagr. But on the other hand, a deadline deal might not getcha to the playoffs. Look at Hemsky this year.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Flames could offer him more money than most contending teams can, for one. As someone else mentioned, it also hypothetically guarantees he's on a playoff team, rather than potentially signing with a team that has a bad season and misses the playoffs (but may not want to trade him at the deadline).

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I actually kind of hope he doesn't. We sign a UFA this offseason to an expensive contract *cough*Iggy*cough* and free up the left wing for the young guys.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Hope he signs a 1yr - 6million contract and gets traded to a contender... But I fully expect him to test FA and sign with a contender...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad