What are the best shows on HBO?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I just finished "The Night Of" and thought it was awesome.

I've obviously watched Game of Thrones.

Are there any other must watch shows on HBO that I should check out? Please quote/@ me.

True Detective Season 1 is probably the single best season of any show Ive ever watched. S2 (which is totally unrelated to s1, was not good).

Boardwalk Empire was fantastic

The Sopranos is a little older but still very relevant and very good

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
True Detective Season 1 is probably the single best season of any show Ive ever watched. S2 (which is totally unrelated to s1, was not good).

Boardwalk Empire was fantastic

The Sopranos is a little older but still very relevant and very good

Agree on True Detective. Phenomenal. No way to match it in season 2. Especially when they did it so quickly afterwards.

You watch The Wire?

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
The Sopranos is a must watch. Kinda been forgotten because so many good shows have come out since. The Wire is one of the best shows ever made. Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the best comedies out there. If you like Seinfeld it's a must.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Are there any other must watch shows on HBO that I should check out? Please quote/@ me.
Game of Thrones
Westworld
The Sopranos
Rome
The Wire
True Detective Season 1
Oz
Silicon Valley
Deadwood
John Adams
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
Generation Kill
The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst

You can't go wrong with HBO.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Crap, forgot Westworld. Its awesome as well.

I found Rome very underwhelming, comimg to it from a post Game of Thrones world. It hasnt aged well. The acting ia OK, but the combat and action sequences are laughable.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

But yes, the Wire is awesome.

Everything mentioned is great. Hard to find a miss from HBO.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Crap, forgot Westworld. Its awesome as well.

I found Rome very underwhelming, comimg to it from a post Game of Thrones world. It hasnt aged well. The acting ia OK, but the combat and action sequences are laughable.

The military combat sequences were a very small treat that the production team didn't have the budget to expand upon.

The individual fight sequences, such as Pullo in the arena were extremely well done.

The show was about showcasing the culture and lifestyle of Rome and the Romans while this monumentus event was occurring. The show exceeded expectations in this regard.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Man, people really like to crap on True Detective S2 but I thought it was solid. I found it more consistent than S1 while S1 had the highest peaks with relatively low expectations but I thought it lost a lot of steam towards the end. I still prefer season 1 and find it the better season, but I don't think the discrepancy to be as glaring as people often make it seem.

With that said, watch The Sopranos. There still hasn't been an HBO show that's even come close since - and only a few outside of HBO for that matter - and is a tour de force as a character study.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
For Comedy: Curb Your Enthusiasm (my fave show of all-time) and Silicon Valley

I will throw in one more suggestion of a show I loved, Rome. S2 is rushed because it got cancelled because of the budget, but I still loved it.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Game of Thrones
Westworld
The Sopranos
Rome
The Wire
True Detective Season 1
Oz
Silicon Valley
Deadwood
John Adams
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
Generation Kill
The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst

You can't go wrong with HBO.
How can you leave Six Feet Under off your list?!

I'm so disappointed in you, Blender :(

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

The Wire. Curb Your Enthusiasm. Boardwalk Empire. Westworld. Silicon Valley. Boardwalk Empire. Bored to Death. The Larry Sanders Show.

Reactions: SenzZen

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Probably blasphemy, but the more time that passes, the more I think that Six Feet Under seems to feel a bit dated and bloated. Love the sentiment/heart driving it, though.
For me, just the opposite actually. I think it has aged really well and remains one of the finest character studies in television history. The low points are obvious enough but there is enough solid material in season's 3 and 4 specifically for me to be able to forgive the stumbles.

Season 5 suffers from a bit of unevenness too but the last 4 or 5 episodes of the series is a tour de force. Of course everybody always (rightfully so as it's the greatest series finale in TV history) raves about Everyone's Waiting but the episodes that preceded it matched the high's from the first couple seasons for me.

Still to this day, criminally underrated and under-watched. Right up there alongside the other HBO greats IMO.

One of the most underrated shows on HBO....The Leftovers.
Season 3 was ridiculously good. First couple seasons were as well but the final season was phenomenal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad