Music: What are the best albums by bands that only put out one studio album?

Sleemans

Sleep Well Beast
Oct 4, 2003
Kingston,Ontario
Visit site
The First one to come to mind is Boomtown by David & David. David Baerwald made a few solo albums, but this was their only one together.

dd.jpg

Reactions: Elvis P

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Amy Winehouse .. probably Op Ivy and Rancid and other punk bands that played musical chairs

Then hip hop had collabs like Black Star (Kweli/Mos Def)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Some people need to google the groups that they think only put out one album. Maroon 5 has like 7 albums. Mr Mister have 4

The title of the thread changed.

It used to be about "one album wonders" and some people interpreted that as only having one album that people liked or heard of.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
right underneath the thread title the op posted:

"I'm asking about groups who only put out one studio album."

what i want to know from the ones that replied with bands with 2 or more albums - why did you reply with bands with 2 or more albums? i find the thought processes for such instances to be very fascinating.

TheGreenTBer

Angry HFBoards Drama Queen since 2005
Apr 30, 2021
Amy Winehouse .. probably Op Ivy and Rancid and other punk bands that played musical chairs

Then hip hop had collabs like Black Star (Kweli/Mos Def)
Rancid has multiple studio albums, although I'd argue only the first two are any good.

Operation Ivy's Energy fits the bill though, and it's one of my favorite albums of all time, easily better than anything Rancid ever did.

Reactions: Neil Racki

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
right underneath the thread title the op posted:

"I'm asking about groups who only put out one studio album."

what i want to know from the ones that replied with bands with 2 or more albums - why did you reply with bands with 2 or more albums? i find the thought processes for such instances to be very fascinating.

The "Last edited: Jun 7, 2023" when the original post was dated June 6th should give you a clue.

He changed the original post including the title to be more clear.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Kind of related to my above post and love for all LA music from the 80s-90s:

-Deconstruction-s/t: This was a post-Jane's Addiction album made by Eric Avery, Dave Navarro, and an LA drummer named Mike Murphy (as Stephen Perkins was unavailable). It came out July 1994 and got some very light press (there was a TV spot that would run on MTV "from the ashes of Jane's Addiction") around the time of Woodstock 94 when Navarro was already in RHCP.

If you're a fan of Jane's Addiction and either Navarro's guitar, or Avery's bass playing and baritone vocals (he mostly sings lead) check it out.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rancid has multiple studio albums, although I'd argue only the first two are any good.

Operation Ivy's Energy fits the bill though, and it's one of my favorite albums of all time, easily better than anything Rancid ever did.
I'd say Rancid was great up until Out Come The Wolves, then the rest of their discography is a blend of mp3/mix worthy tracks.

Matt Freeman's bass on Rancid sound infinitely better than Operation Ivy but that's all about technology advancement and studio budget.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

Angry HFBoards Drama Queen since 2005
Apr 30, 2021
I'd say Rancid was great up until Out Come The Wolves, then the rest of their discography is a blend of mp3/mix worthy tracks.

Matt Freeman's bass on Rancid sound infinitely better than Operation Ivy but that's all about technology advancement and studio budget.
Yup. Rancid's first two albums are great. I'm not a huge fan of And Out Come The Wolves but I can see how some would like it.

Nothing they ever did compares to Energy imo, I still listen to that one frequently and it's one of my favorites ever.

Reactions: Roo Returns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad