TV: what are some of the best current shows worth watching

Marner980

Jun 21, 2019
Hi I am looking for suggestion for top notch TV series worth watching. I have previously watched BANSHEE (great TV series), breaking bad, Dare devil, through her eyes, black mirror, Dirilis Ertugrul, among others which I have really really really enjoyed. I am a huge Anime fan so I have interest in animes along the lines of mostly Naruto like, Bleach, Tower of God, My teen romantic comedy, black cat, Code geass etc. Would anybody be able to recommend some thing similar or worth while to watch that is out there currently airing or put out on Netflix.

Throw some names out and I will check it out.

Thank you.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I am looking for more in line of the ones that I have watched. something of similar nature and storyline.
Breaking Bad and Black Mirror are the only ones I've watched off your list but if you liked Daredevil then you might like The Punisher. The first season was good but the 2nd was weaker. I typically don't like superhero shows/movies but The Punisher isn't a typical superhero.

As for higher quality shows like BB and Black Mirror, I'd agree with Ozark being one you might like. Narcos is a great but if you don't like reading subtitles it might not be for you.

The Expanse is an amazing science fiction show, I highly recommend it. I love Snowpiercer as well, it's a post apocalyptic show. Fargo is great too but not sure it fits your interests.

Based on what I googled about Dirilis Ertugrul, you might like The Last Kingdom or Vikings.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Invincibles on Amazon. If Spider-Man and the Boys had a baby, boom, this show. The Ending of the first episode has the twist that hooks you.

Don’t let the animation full you, it’s for adults and gets very dark.

Good plot, good character work, and amazing superhero action. Can’t recommend it enough. 8 40 minute episodes so far.

WATCH IT.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Mare of Easttown on HBO (which concluded last weekend, so you can binge it, if you like) is worth watching if you like mysteries or detective shows and if you're looking for something relatively short (7 one-hour episodes). It stars Kate Winslet as a detective investigating a murder and a few disappearances in rural Pennsylvania. It gave me a vibe similar to HBO's Big Little Lies, if you liked that.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Barry is a good dark comedy starring Bill Hader as a hit man who wants out of the game and randomly becomes an aspiring actor while doing a job in Hollywood. The character Noho Hank has to be one of the funniest characters in recent memory.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Invincibles on Amazon. If Spider-Man and the Boys had a baby, boom, this show. The Ending of the first episode has the twist that hooks you.

Don’t let the animation full you, it’s for adults and gets very dark.

Good plot, good character work, and amazing superhero action. Can’t recommend it enough. 8 40 minute episodes so far.

WATCH IT.

Second this. Just finished the first season, fantastic show. One of my favorites right now, and appears to jive with the OP's tastes.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Hi I am looking for suggestion for top notch TV series worth watching. I have previously watched BANSHEE (great TV series), breaking bad, Dare devil, through her eyes, black mirror, Dirilis Ertugrul, among others which I have really really really enjoyed. I am a huge Anime fan so I have interest in animes along the lines of mostly Naruto like, Bleach, Tower of God, My teen romantic comedy, black cat, Code geass etc. Would anybody be able to recommend some thing similar or worth while to watch that is out there currently airing or put out on Netflix.

Thank you.

What in blue hell is 'Through Her Eyes?"

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Not current (sorry) but I just watched The Night Manager on Amazon Prime and it was excellent. Only six episodes but they made it count.

Reactions: Runner77

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I am currently watchin Hacks (HBO) and it's great! Jean Smart is just so much fun to watch.

I also watched the first episode of The Looming Tower and I don't know if I liked it very much. The quality if it just felt... cheap, and the dialogue was awful in many parts. Seems like it might be a bit of a disservice to the book which was fantastic.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Started a new series because it's a comedy-mystery "Only Murders In The Building" with Steve Martin/Martin Short/Selena Gomez. 3 episodes so far and not bad. Other than that it's just basically Ted Lasso and heaping the Premier League. Will probably catch the last Brooklyn Nine-Nine season at some point and that's pretty much it as it doesn't look like any other good comedies are coming out.

oms1_101_cb-2653rtC.jpg

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I can't seem to find the Netflix or what shows are you watching thread on the last few pages and didn't feel like making a new thread about it.

But What We Do in The Shadows on FX is fantastic.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
There's a new series on Prime called Nine Perfect Strangers, it's been pretty good so far. Nine (mainly rich) people at an ultra-exclusive wellness retreat run by Nicole Kidman, doing her best Elvish Queen impression. Limited run, but decent cast. Bobby Canavale, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Shannon (against type as a nerdy high school teacher), and also Manny Jacinto, who you'll maybe recall as Jason from A Good Place. I always notice him because I read on his wikipedia page once that he went to high school about five houses away from where I grew up. He has a minor part.

But yeah, not bad show so far.

Also there's another limited series called Maniac on Netflix, which I also recommend. It has Jonah Hill in it, but don't let that stop you. He actually does an amazing job in it, and I usually hate him.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

Thank you.

Peaky Blinders, Vikings, The Night Of

for animes, My Hero Academia is the Naruto of the current generation. Darker Than Black is an older one but is a psychological thriller along the lines of Black Cat/Code Geass. I don't think either of those is on Netflix but both are excellent and easy to find online. DM me if you need a site. On Netflix, Demon Slayer is a massive success and fantastic. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is probably considered the best anime of all time by most and I believe is on Netflix as well. The Promised Neverland, Violet Evergarden, One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, Gurren Lagann, Angel Beats, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Devilman Crybaby, and Castlevania are all on Netflix and all great and seem up your alley.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Started a new series because it's a comedy-mystery "Only Murders In The Building" with Steve Martin/Martin Short/Selena Gomez. 3 episodes so far and not bad. Other than that it's just basically Ted Lasso and heaping the Premier League. Will probably catch the last Brooklyn Nine-Nine season at some point and that's pretty much it as it doesn't look like any other good comedies are coming out.

oms1_101_cb-2653rtC.jpg
Time warped Helena Bonham Carter?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Peaky Blinders, Vikings, The Night Of

for animes, My Hero Academia is the Naruto of the current generation. Darker Than Black is an older one but is a psychological thriller along the lines of Black Cat/Code Geass. I don't think either of those is on Netflix but both are excellent and easy to find online. DM me if you need a site. On Netflix, Demon Slayer is a massive success and fantastic. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is probably considered the best anime of all time by most and I believe is on Netflix as well. The Promised Neverland, Violet Evergarden, One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, Gurren Lagann, Angel Beats, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Devilman Crybaby, and Castlevania are all on Netflix and all great and seem up your alley.
Is Full Metal Alchemist considered the best anime? Wow... I never would have guessed. Doesn't even scratch my top shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad